Advertisements
Old 11-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #167
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Trent Williams ends season-long holdout, rejoins Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
We will get a first round for him ...
I think that ship has sailed when they didn't trade him to a contender during the season that was desperate for a left tackle, like the Patriots. Now those teams that were ripe to make a deal will look to the draft. I really don't think anyone will cough up a first now for a 32 year old that misses 1/4 of the games and pay him $12 mil a year on top of that.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #168
Warthog
The Starter

I think we’ll end up getting a third-rounder (at best!!) for a 7-time pro bowler LT. Bruce Allen again showed why he is the worst GM in the NFL. The Redskins EASILY could have traded TW for a FIRST ROUND draft pick that could get us an elite replacement for next season.

This team can not improve until Bruce Allen is fired! Pretty much the team should do the exact OPPOSITE of whatever ideas BA has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 12-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #169
Warthog
The Starter

The big question now is whether Trent Williams will consider coming back with his nemesis gone and a new head coach. Adrian Peterson hinted TW might come back. He’ll want a new contract with guaranteed money!

Flyboy.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #170
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
The big question now is whether Trent Williams will consider coming back with his nemesis gone and a new head coach. Adrian Peterson hinted TW might come back. He’ll want a new contract with guaranteed money!

I might throw a little more guaranteed money his money but I'm not reupping him on a big money 5-7 year deal. Give him a 4 year deal with a way out for us after 2 and a little more money upfront, then we can think about replacing him in the next year or two.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #171
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I might throw a little more guaranteed money his money but I'm not reupping him on a big money 5-7 year deal. Give him a 4 year deal with a way out for us after 2 and a little more money upfront, then we can think about replacing him in the next year or two.

Agreed. Trent’s good for two more years with drafting of at least one or two OT this draft. We need young backups like Martin and these new draft picks.

Moses should be dropped, he had a horrible year and dragged Scherff with him into the abyss. Resign Flowers, Trent, Scherff.

Flyboy.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #172
Warthog
The Starter

Another problem for Trent was the medical staff. They’ve also been given the boot. Another obstacle to his return is removed!

Flyboy.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #173
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

I would trade him. Medical staff may have misdiagnosed but if he was really that concerned about it he could have gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions. His hold out was mostly about money. He may have valid points about the medical staff but that doesn't mean he couldn't have gone else where to get another opinion Yes he is one of the better LT but he hasn't played a full season for 2 or 3 years. He is old trade him for what ever you can get, even a klondike bar... as far as I'm concerned. Clear up the cap space by trading older vets and those who have a high cap hit... Resign Scheriff(sp) if we can or you can tag him for one season and try to work out a long term deal.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #174
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
I would trade him. Medical staff may have misdiagnosed but if he was really that concerned about it he could have gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions. His hold out was mostly about money. He may have valid points about the medical staff but that doesn't mean he couldn't have gone else where to get another opinion Yes he is one of the better LT but he hasn't played a full season for 2 or 3 years. He is old trade him for what ever you can get, even a klondike bar... as far as I'm concerned. Clear up the cap space by trading older vets and those who have a high cap hit... Resign Scheriff(sp) if we can or you can tag him for one season and try to work out a long term deal.
Definitely agree but I would try to get more than a Klondike bar for him. He should still be worth a 3rd. The issues of him sitting out the season are on him just as much as they are on the Redskins, if not more. Also some fans seem to ignore his age and injury history, his 75% availability isn't going to improve as he approaches old age for an NFL lineman. With the attitude he took last year he has become part of the "past" bad culture that needs to go. He had a growth on his scalp. I would hope he has enough sense to know that isn't the type of thing a team doctor would be an expert on. His prior reputation as a leader and team player go out the window after what he pulled last season, especially implying BA was a racist.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #175
SunnySide
Playmaker

I love Trent but he should have been moved in August. Trade him for a second and move on. I think any team trading for him may have to agree to resign him so that really reduces his trade value imo.

Maybe at this point Trent just wants it over with and wont insist on a new deal with the new team?

Give Trents agent permission to shop him and see what they come back with.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #176
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I love Trent but he should have been moved in August. Trade him for a second and move on. I think any team trading for him may have to agree to resign him so that really reduces his trade value imo.

Maybe at this point Trent just wants it over with and wont insist on a new deal with the new team?

Give Trents agent permission to shop him and see what they come back with.
I think this is the best approach. Drama aside, we are rebuilding now and there's no place for an old, injury-prone player who wants a crap ton of money on the roster. If we were "close," my opinion might be different, but we're not.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #177
Schneed10
A Dude

I think there's a case to be made for bringing him back as long as there's not a significant new financial commitment. I'd consider an olive branch offer to extend him by one year and guarantee both of those years.

Reason: this team clearly needs to see that its owner is interested in righting a lot of wrongs. Allen has been fired, the trainer Larry Hess has been fired, and we've hired a coach who is big on accountability. Good steps. The team also needs to see more. They need to see an org chart that makes it clear who has the personnel and negotiating power, they need to see that said person is transparent, fair, and trustworthy. And it would go a long way if Snyder reached out with an olive branch to its best player, as a way of acknowledging that Bruce should have handled it differently.

The human impact on the locker room would be worth an additional one year commitment to Trent. It might even bring some fans back. People crave an acknowledgement that things were done incorrectly before. Any outward displays of such will galvanize the locker room and the fan base.

At this point, this is a needed move from an Emotional Intelligence standpoint. A good leader would recognize that everybody just needs this, regardless of whether Trent will still be here when we're finally good.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #178
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Well said^ and agree.

He Gets Us
Old 12-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #179
skinsfan69
Living Legend

On a personal level I don't want him back. That entire thing with his dogs just made me seriously dislike the guy. It showed me he is not only a careless stupid ass, but he has little to no empathy. Good riddance.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #180
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think there's a case to be made for bringing him back as long as there's not a significant new financial commitment. I'd consider an olive branch offer to extend him by one year and guarantee both of those years.

Reason: this team clearly needs to see that its owner is interested in righting a lot of wrongs. Allen has been fired, the trainer Larry Hess has been fired, and we've hired a coach who is big on accountability. Good steps. The team also needs to see more. They need to see an org chart that makes it clear who has the personnel and negotiating power, they need to see that said person is transparent, fair, and trustworthy. And it would go a long way if Snyder reached out with an olive branch to its best player, as a way of acknowledging that Bruce should have handled it differently.

The human impact on the locker room would be worth an additional one year commitment to Trent. It might even bring some fans back. People crave an acknowledgement that things were done incorrectly before. Any outward displays of such will galvanize the locker room and the fan base.

At this point, this is a needed move from an Emotional Intelligence standpoint. A good leader would recognize that everybody just needs this, regardless of whether Trent will still be here when we're finally good.
You're able to put it into words in a way I can't. I agree. Obviously Trent is getting up there in age but not only does it help in the way you mentioned but it pushes a major problem back 1-3 years. I think we take for granted how much having a stud LT does for a team, since it's been 2 decades since we've had a bad one.
Closed Thread