Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kirk Cousins 24/7 thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What should the Redskins do with Cousins?
Sign him to a long term deal 47 75.81%
Let him walk 4 6.45%
Use the franchise tag again 11 17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #76
Hijinx
The Starter

Re: Kirk Cousins 24/7 thread

Why on Earth would the Skins even consider the Transition tag? It only saves about 2 million over a Franchise tag, and unlike the non-exclusive FT the Skins get zero compensation if KC signs elsewhere. Whereas with the non-exclusive FT the Skins would get 1 first round picks should KC leave.

Frankly I don't how much difference there is in salary between the exclusive and non-exclusive FT, but I wouldn't risk a team being willing to pay the 2 draft picks. Give him the exclusive and keep negotiating.

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 AM   #77
That Guy
Living Legend

i too, would avoid the transition tag if i were in charge. needless risk.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #78
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Washington To Use Tag On Kirk Cousins?

These are rumors, as indicated by the name of the website but. . .

If the team is offering 15mpy and Kirk wants 19mpy, a deal definitely gets done. 15m is a low ball offer.
From the article: "No player in the league did more over the last four weeks of the regular season to help his stock than Cousins, who completed 74% of his passes for nearly 1,200 yards, while posting a 12:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio to go along with a 134.0 quarterback rating. For the season, Cousins thew 29 touchdowns against 11 interceptions, led the league in completion percentage (69.8%), and helped Washington win its first division title since 2012."

Conclusion: This deal gets done. Jay Gruden's offense and Kirk Cousins' skillset are just too good of a match for the deal to not get done.

Now, as for the contract amount: Let's see, add 15 plus 19, then divide by 2...

Kirk will be paid an average of $17MM per season, which he should be because it is fair for where he ranks among NFL QB's. That would be a good deal for the Skins because Kirk's going to get better. He could end up in the Top 10 of NFL QB's. Also, if I were Kirk, my ego would not allow me to accept one cent less than the Skins paid RGIII to sit on the bench all last season ($16.5MM). I'd bet he and his agent feel the same way.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #79
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
From the article: "No player in the league did more over the last four weeks of the regular season to help his stock than Cousins, who completed 74% of his passes for nearly 1,200 yards, while posting a 12:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio to go along with a 134.0 quarterback rating. For the season, Cousins thew 29 touchdowns against 11 interceptions, led the league in completion percentage (69.8%), and helped Washington win its first division title since 2012."

Conclusion: This deal gets done. Jay Gruden's offense and Kirk Cousins' skillset are just too good of a match for the deal to not get done.

Kirk will be paid an average of $17MM per season, which he should be because it is fair for where he ranks among NFL QB's. That would be a good deal for the Skins because Kirk's going to get better. He could end up in the Top 10 of NFL QB's. Also, if I were Kirk, my ego would not allow me to accept one cent less than the Skins paid RGIII to sit on the bench all last season ($16.5MM). I'd bet he and his agent feel the same way.
Everything you said was solid right up until you got your facts wrong like a presidential candidate. Robert was not paid 16M to sit on the bench last year, that number represents the salary he'd have this upcoming season if kept on the roster. He was paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 4M to 5M last year under the last year of his rookie deal before the Redskins exercised the option.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #80
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

never mind....

Schneed beat me to it
Old 02-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #81
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Everything you said was solid right up until you got your facts wrong like a presidential candidate. Robert was not paid 16M to sit on the bench last year, that number represents the salary he'd have this upcoming season if kept on the roster. He was paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 4M to 5M last year under the last year of his rookie deal before the Redskins exercised the option.
That's what we have you for; to keep us straight on the numbers.

Anyway, the two sides will settle on about $17MM because that's fair market value for Kirk and a good deal for the Skins as long as he continues to improve.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #82
Schneed10
A Dude

Agreed, I could easily see it being 18 or 19 too, but who's counting.

I think Cousins has the leverage, the Skins will have to come up more than Cousins will have to come down.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #83
over the mountain
Playmaker

According to FoxSports.com, the team's initial offer to Cousins was for $12.5 million per year, a number that they bumped up to $15 million after some negotiation.

Are the Redskins lowballing Kirk Cousins with their long-term offers? - CBSSports.com

Skins start unreasonably low, mccartney starts unreasonably high .. hopefully they meet in the middle. If the skins started 12.5 and jumped to 15, I imagine their bottom line is 17-18 per. I assume mccartney doesnt want to go below 20, but he has to if he wants a deal done imo.

IMO, a deal gets done in the 18 per range .. or he gets franchise tagged. I think the transition tag is just hot air to try and get mccartney under 20.

IM just torn personally bc i think he is a 10-15 best QB but he wants to be paid like he is top 5. He hasnt performed long enough to truly say he is top 10 and he hasnt shown he can operate against top 10 defenses. I love Kirk but it seems like kirk loves himself some kirk even more.

let Ian Desmond be a reminder to athletes. He turned down 7yrs 107 m 2 years ago, turned down 15.3m QO this offseason .... just signed for 1 yr 8 m.

Take the guaranteed money Kirk. Your are not going to produce nearly as well in any other system.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #84
MTK
\m/

Kirk Cousins 24/7 thread

For anyone unfamiliar with negotiating, it always starts with an unreasonable offer from one side. Then an equally unreasonable counter is made. Then both sides work to hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

In a case like this, both sides are more valuable to one another than to anyone else. That's why I think a deal will get done.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #85
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
For anyone unfamiliar with negotiating, it always starts with an unreasonable offer from one side. Then an equally unreasonable counter is made. Then both sides work to hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

In a case like this, both sides are more valuable to one another than to anyone else. That's why I think a deal will get done.
Wholeheartedly agree. I think odds are that the long term deal will come this summer. Each side is going to use the tag to position themselves and go from there.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #86
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

Agree with everything except the part about the Skins paying RGIII $16.5mm to sit on the bench. He was making rookie scale, last year of contract, much much less than that. $16.5 is what they're not paying by releasing him...

Nevermind, should have know that Schneed would get there first...
Old 02-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #87
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Dallas sports talk radio media basically saying Kirk doesn't want to be a redskin and would love to test free agency. Hmmm just them hating on us or truth?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #88
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Dallas sports talk radio media basically saying Kirk doesn't want to be a redskin and would love to test free agency. Hmmm just them hating on us or truth?

pfffftttttt
Dallas sports pundits can blow me.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #89
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think it's all for leverage. If Kirk doesn't want to be in washington he would have said it after the season

Old 02-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #90
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
dallas sports talk radio media basically saying kirk doesn't want to be a redskin and would love to test free agency. Hmmm just them hating on us or truth?

Sent from my samsung-sm-g920a using tapatalk

100% bs