Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Pre game Thread - Commanders at Lions Sun 1 pm

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #46
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Re: Pre game Thread - Commanders at Lions Sun 1 pm

Of course if our offense can start to dominate then the defence won't on the field so much, and they will have more energy when they are
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #47
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Yeah we're lucky. Terry could have fallen down too. Thank goodness none of that happened.
The ground beneath him could have opened up and swallow him.

Or a bird could have collided with the ball and knock it off course.

The Matrix could have glitched and make Terry completely disappear. I'm telling you a lot of things could have happened.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #48
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The ground beneath him could have opened up and swallow him.

Or a bird could have collided with the ball and knock it off course.

The Matrix could have glitched and make Terry completely disappear. I'm telling you a lot of things could have happened.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #49
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I’m curious to see what Jeter the new DT brings to the table and what the 2 clowns (Jackson, McCain) do as far their coverage assignments. Also want to watch Bates (my new hero) blocking when he’s on the field, see who’s ass he kicks this week.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 09-15-2022 at 02:28 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #50
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jack Del Rio on Jamin Davis: "Was just OK in the game. He practiced better throughout the preseason... He has to play better. He didn't play very well last week. I saw a lot of good things this offseason so it surprised me he didn't play better."

KEIM
Old 09-15-2022, 02:43 PM   #51
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Jack Del Rio on Jamin Davis: "Was just OK in the game. He practiced better throughout the preseason... He has to play better. He didn't play very well last week. I saw a lot of good things this offseason so it surprised me he didn't play better."

KEIM
JDR also said Davis covering Kirk was a bad match up and not something he wants going forward. I didn't see interview but I hope there was a follow up question as to why JDR even entertained it in game 1.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #52
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

After week 1, I'm not going to draw too many conclusions other than we're 1-0. This week will provide a little more insight, but we'll have a much better idea what this team is all about after the Cowboys game in week 4.

That said, the offense was pretty impressive against the Jags. They put the league on notice with all the weapons in their arsenal, and a QB who can get the ball to them. I don't see any reason why they can't at least duplicate that performance against Detroit.

Defensively, I am not sure exactly what to expect. I'm not as low on them as a lot of people are, but my optimism is waning after some of the things I saw in week 1. I am going to go out on a limb and predict a much better performance though. I think the D-line will play well again, the secondary will show up, and Holcomb and Davis will play well enough to get it done.

We win the turnover battle and score seven times, including one on D/ST. Defense gives up yards, but only two TDs.

WAS - 41
DET - 23
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #53
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
JDR also said Davis covering Kirk was a bad match up and not something he wants going forward. I didn't see interview but I hope there was a follow up question as to why JDR even entertained it in game 1.
I don't think JDR entertained putting Davis on Kirk. The opposing OC and QB get paid to create mismatches. Davis isn't the only LB to ever find himself covering a wide receiver. It happens.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #54
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Seriously, this is no small amount of BS from JDR. Yeah, Davis didn't play that well, but is JDR putting him in a place to succeed? Covering a WR -- LBs aren't built for that. Ever. And that's on you, Jack. He's making me wonder whether a new DC would come in here and help our guys thrive.

I mean, shit -- I don't know jack about football (sorry), but even I know better than to ask a LB to cover a WR. Or have a good man-to-man cover guy like Jackson do nothing but zone. Or leave Landon Collins at safety for far too long when it was clear that WRs were blowing by him. Or make halftime adjustments to anything. I am sure others can easily add to this list.

Bellichick has been successful because he knows his players and finds the way to use their strengths to get to one-on-one matchups that his players consistently win. It is well documented. WTF can't we do a little of that?

Get your head out of your ass, Jack.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #55
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Seriously, this is no small amount of BS from JDR. Yeah, Davis didn't play that well, but is JDR putting him in a place to succeed? Covering a WR -- LBs aren't built for that. Ever. And that's on you, Jack. He's making me wonder whether a new DC would come in here and help our guys thrive.

I mean, shit -- I don't know jack about football (sorry), but even I know better than to ask a LB to cover a WR. Or have a good man-to-man cover guy like Jackson do nothing but zone. Or leave Landon Collins at safety for far too long when it was clear that WRs were blowing by him. Or make halftime adjustments to anything. I am sure others can easily add to this list.

Bellichick has been successful because he knows his players and finds the way to use their strengths to get to one-on-one matchups that his players consistently win. It is well documented. WTF can't we do a little of that?

Get your head out of your ass, Jack.
We did a lot of that on offense, which is where this typically occurs. I don't think you field a defense thinking "I'm going to create a mismatch here"...Unless you have a guy like Aaron Donald who is a walking mismatch.

Offenses drive this, not defenses. Occasionally you are going to get the wrong player covering a guy, because that is what running an effective offense is all about - finding a mismatch to exploit.

Like I said earlier, Davis isn't the only LB to ever find himself covering a wide receiver. It happens. My guess is you could probably watch all 16 games from this past weekend, and find an example of it in every game.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #56
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
We did a lot of that on offense, which is where this typically occurs. I don't think you field a defense thinking "I'm going to create a mismatch here"...Unless you have a guy like Aaron Donald who is a walking mismatch.

Offenses drive this, not defenses. Occasionally you are going to get the wrong player covering a guy, because that is what running an effective offense is all about - finding a mismatch to exploit.

Like I said earlier, Davis isn't the only LB to ever find himself covering a wide receiver. It happens. My guess is you could probably watch all 16 games from this past weekend, and find an example of it in every game.
I agree. I have very little faith in JDR, and think this offseason's management of the LB squad is malpractice... But you can't go Dime package on every down, and you can't go man/double everybody on every down, so every now and then you will have a talented WR opposite a LB. Making sure that happens the least possible is a DC's job, but that "least possible" won't be zero. The opposing OC gets paid too.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #57
SunnySide
Playmaker

We played with 2 LBs 93% of the D snaps.

Davis is going to get mis matched against a RB or WR every now and then. Usually when he is mismatched its an intentional thing done by the O and the O knows it and targets it.

We do the same thing, would love to see mckissic and gibson out there same time bc one of them will have a LB.

Ideally Davis would only have to cover TEs at worst but with 11 or 20 or 21 personnel ... Davis is probably going to have to cover a RB.

LB coverage seems to be the soft under belly of most defenses. Get a mismatch, take your 8-10 yards.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #58
SunnySide
Playmaker

Lions 6R pick LB Malcolm Rodriguez is the Lions starting LB and the team and fans seem to love him and his physicality.

-------

Blake Martinez -- we should be hearing something soon Id guess. im sure his agent's phone has had a lot of calls
Old 09-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #59
calia
Playmaker

Quote:

I don't disagree, but it also doesn't make sense to have individuals on D not play to their strengths or, more accurately, scheme to their strengths. He has to coach to defensive players he has, not the ones he wishes he had. I think that is where JDR falls pretty short of the mark.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #60
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Lions 6R pick LB Malcolm Rodriguez is the Lions starting LB and the team and fans seem to love him and his physicality.

-------

Blake Martinez -- we should be hearing something soon Id guess. im sure his agent's phone has had a lot of calls
I've been wondering about Martinez. I had also wondered whether someone would sign Flowers, Collins (as Buffalo nickel/LB), and OBJ -- there are a few guys who can still play out there and unsigned for longer than I would have expected.