Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should the Redskins Extend Jay Gruden’s Contract?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #61
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Should the Redskins Extend Jay Gruden’s Contract?

I don't think he's ready but all it takes is one team to make him an offer. If he's smart he'd wait for a more attractive offer though, the team that might offer him the job is probably gonna be one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #62
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

If the Redskins clinch a playoff birth for a second consecutive year then yes, Gruden should receive an extension. He's almost a sub .500 head coach. He's won 16 out of the team's last 30 games. This team is getting better!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #63
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I never weighed in on this before, but I think it is worth bringing back up.

I'm a fan of extending him, sooner rather than later. I think the guy is just a winner. In 13 seasons as a head coach, he's only had one losing season. That was his first with the Redskins, with RGIII still at the helm and all the drama that was going on with this team. Says a lot about him even taking the job really.

If we can get Kirk signed, hire a competent D coordinator that gets some talent - then results, and keep the offense clicking, I see no reason not to extend him. We'll have to see how the next few weeks /months play out and then how they start the season, but if they are better than .500 at the halfway point of next season (5-3 or better), I think you have to start drawing up the paperwork.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #64
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I never weighed in on this before, but I think it is worth bringing back up.

I'm a fan of extending him, sooner rather than later. I think the guy is just a winner. In 13 seasons as a head coach, he's only had one losing season. That was his first with the Redskins, with RGIII still at the helm and all the drama that was going on with this team. Says a lot about him even taking the job really.

If we can get Kirk signed, hire a competent D coordinator that gets some talent - then results, and keep the offense clicking, I see no reason not to extend him. We'll have to see how the next few weeks /months play out and then how they start the season, but if they are better than .500 at the halfway point of next season (5-3 or better), I think you have to start drawing up the paperwork.
Well, I'm also looking at it from this perspective. We haven't hired a DC yet (maybe we will before the day is over with), because the situation is not ideal. You have a coach going into a do or die year and a defense that lacks talent. What could help sweeten the deal for bringing in either Bradley or Pettine at this point, is to show a gesture of faith and extend Gruden's contract by a year right now. At least then, the new DC won't feel like he's walking into a situation where he could be gone after one season. I mean, yeah, the Redskins could still fire Gruden at the end of 2017 if the season is bad, but I think it shows potential coaching candidates that the franchise really does believe in continuity and believes they have the right head coach in place, that all that's left is the right guy to helm the defense.

So basically, I'd extend Gruden's contract just so we can make sure we land a top notch defensive coordinator.