The coordinators

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #31
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I have to agree with KI Skins Fan. The most troubling thing to me is the fact that this offense can move the ball at will against even the better defenses in the league, but cannot put it in the end zone against anybody...unless it's a 30-50 yard bomb. When Jackson caught that ball on Sunday and was tripped up at the 5...instantly I knew we were only getting 3 points.
We scored a TD on the drive where Jackson caught the bomb (QB sneak by Cousins).
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #32
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm happy with McVay overall. I have a beef with the red zone.

But Barry is not the answer. I can't think of one time that he has ever elevated the defense's performance to a level beyond the talent available. Which means he adds no value. He gets out of the group whatever the talent level that McCloughan hands him.

Yes they need defensive linemen and a rangey safety and I'd add some athletic and aggressive MLBs to that too. But if you're talking solely about the coordinator, what you should be looking for is whether we get production beyond that which we should, given talent. Can he scheme up and get pressure when we really need it, can he get the team communicating at an excellent level, can he get the team to play with tremendous discipline, can he get the team to recognize tendencies in opposing offenses and get a half step jump on the play?

No no no and no. Our defense wins only when Norman, Kerrigan, Murph, Smith, Cravens, or Baker win their matchups. That's it. Talent-driven success and talent driven failure.

The coordinator's job to to get the sum of the parts to add up to something greater. Barry just doesn't. He needs to be replaced.
That was one thing they were talking about in the game yesterday. Whenever Fitzgerald motioned to the line, it was 99% run, and the defense still couldn't stop it.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #33
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
We scored a TD on the drive where Jackson caught the bomb (QB sneak by Cousins).
Halleluja, yes we did. You are correct. But don't tell me you weren't thinking the same thing I was...that we were only going to get 3 out of that...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #34
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If McVay can't fix his red zone issues then he has to go. I'm sorry but getting all the way down the field and not scoring touchdowns with this talent is unacceptable. We score a lot but should score even more.

From last year thru the first part of this year I've been one of Barry's worst critics. He isn't aggressive enough for me. But the last few weeks, I've stopped blaming him for everything. We just don't have much talent on defense. If we had the same offensive talent as defensive we'd be a 4-12 team.

I think they should both come back next year. McVay works on his red zone calling and Barry gets another chance with more talent. Hopefully they can both improve.

I'm starting to like Jay Gruden, I hope he sticks around for awhile.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 AM   #35
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If McVay can't fix his red zone issues then he has to go. I'm sorry but getting all the way down the field and not scoring touchdowns with this talent is unacceptable. We score a lot but should score even more.

From last year thru the first part of this year I've been one of Barry's worst critics. He isn't aggressive enough for me. But the last few weeks, I've stopped blaming him for everything. We just don't have much talent on defense. If we had the same offensive talent as defensive we'd be a 4-12 team.

I think they should both come back next year. McVay works on his red zone calling and Barry gets another chance with more talent. Hopefully they can both improve.

I'm starting to like Jay Gruden, I hope he sticks around for awhile.
This.

We have a saying here, "don't throw the baby with the bath water" (I'm sure you have a similar one). Means don't throw everything out when you get rid of something.

We have something going, this team is building, it needs better players at some positions, self-evaluation from the coaches, and time for everybody and the team to improve.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #36
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Fire Barry.
Draft defense.
Trade Matt Jones.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #37
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I wouldn't give up on Breeland, when he goes to another and does well people will be whining.
Breeland was our top DB last year. We should not give up on him. He is having a bad year, nothing the off season can't fix.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #38
redskins4lif
Camp Scrub

Quote:

If you feel McVay needs to go, then who should the Redskins bring in? There's not too many coordinators out there who coordinate an offense that averages the yardage and the points per game the Redskins already do. They're putting up these numbers against good defenses such as Philadelphia, Minnesota, Arizona, New York, Baltimore, and Green Bay to name a few.
redskins4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #39
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins4lif View Post
If you feel McVay needs to go, then who should the Redskins bring in? There's not too many coordinators out there who coordinate an offense that averages the yardage and the points per game the Redskins already do. They're putting up these numbers against good defenses such as Philadelphia, Minnesota, Arizona, New York, Baltimore, and Green Bay to name a few.
I said I think both coordinators should return next year, but I'd hope to see a drastic improvement in the red zone. Touchdowns and defense win championships.

There are always coaches available, including people we probably haven't heard about.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #40
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah as just give them time to really catch their act together. It starts with the Kirk Cousins and if the team lets him leave in FA, it would be a huge blow. But really think it is about trying to get to the next level and beyond.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 AM   #41
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
I said I think both coordinators should return next year, but I'd hope to see a drastic improvement in the red zone. Touchdowns and defense win championships.

There are always coaches available, including people we probably haven't heard about.
On defense the logical choice would be Perry Fewell....on offense the Redskins could have Gruden call the plays... it's too much of a gamble for both of these idiots to return in 2017...., there's no guarantee the red zone offense would be better.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The coordinators

Keep Barry until we see what he can do with a tad bit of talent

Last edited by punch it in; 12-07-2016 at 11:37 AM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #43
redskins4lif
Camp Scrub

I feel that regardless if you keep Barry or bring in someone new, you need a significant upgrade in team speed. It was awful on Thanksgiving watch Dak run into the endzone while having Preston Smith and Will Compton chase him only to gain no ground on him. Also with increased team speed, it would allow players to make mistakes, but the ability to recover. I believe playing Cravens at safety, over Donte Whitner, these next four games would be a step in the right direction. It might not be a long term solution but would at least help the next four games, in my opinion.
redskins4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #44
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins4lif View Post
I feel that regardless if you keep Barry or bring in someone new, you need a significant upgrade in team speed. It was awful on Thanksgiving watch Dak run into the endzone while having Preston Smith and Will Compton chase him only to gain no ground on him. Also with increased team speed, it would allow players to make mistakes, but the ability to recover. I believe playing Cravens at safety, over Donte Whitner, these next four games would be a step in the right direction. It might not be a long term solution but would at least help the next four games, in my opinion.
Yea that would work.
Or we could have the ability to collapse the pocket and lay a slobberknocker on him for a 10 yard loss.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #45
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Yeah as just give them time to really catch their act together. It starts with the Kirk Cousins and if the team lets him leave in FA, it would be a huge blow. But really think it is about trying to get to the next level and beyond.

punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote