About that BOOOING at FED Ex Field

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #31
FRPLG
MVP

Re: About that BOOOING at FED Ex Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarley4 View Post
You buy a night at the Ritz, you expect world class luxury. You shell out a couple hundred bucks for to see the Skins, you expect to see a worthy performance. If your night at the Ritz sucks, you are sure as hell gonna complain -- if my team sucks, they get booed.
I guess my argument comes down to what exactly you can expect when buying tickets to sporting events. I don't look at it like I am buying the right to see my team play well. I am buying the right to HOPEFULLY see my team play well. If they suck then well crap they sucked but I am still happier having watched them suck in person than on TV. I just like going to games. It's fun. Less fun when they lose but more fun watching them lose live than watching them lose on TV.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #32
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
It is not irrelevant, people may as well have paid to watch a high school game. The product clearly doesnt match the price of admission, if your not satisfied, its your right to boo if thats your wish!!! I didnt boo, but the ride home was spent wondering how we are so pathetic while having one of the highest payrolls in the NFL. Sad to see my once mighty Skins, reduced to a pile of crap that the rest of the league is laughing at.

Personally I think the price of the ticket, once you're in your seat, is irrelevant. I know I don't go to games and say, hmm this is a more expensive seat therefore I must cheer or boo louder. Or I'm happier or more dissatisfied with the product now based on how much I paid. No, once you're in your seat the Redskins and the game itself become the focus and object of your passion and energy. The degree of that passion will vary from fan to fan, but I dare say that how much you paid for your ticket or whether it was free has little to do with your enjoyment and raw excitement while Clinton Portis is sprinting 64 yards downfield for a touchdown.

I only bring this up because it seems some are making a very legitimate argument here about booing, proper decorum at the game, and how much one has paid to see the game. I think these are very legit arguments, but I also think those are in the realm of reason and intellect. Fans don't usually operate in that realm four quarters of football. It's raw emotion and it's usually to the extreme which usually matches the pace and intensity of the game. And that's why I think booing, while not acceptable to some, is a part of the game. It's not until afterwards that we may realize that, hey, I pay a lot to see this damn team and I expect better. I just don't think it's a chief concern while they are actually enjoying or not enjoyng the game. At least it's not for me.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #33
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Personally I think the price of the ticket, once you are in your seat, is irrelevant. I know I don't go to games and say, hmm this is a more expensive seat therefore I must cheer or boo louder. Or I'm happier or more dissatisfied with the product now based on how much I paid. No, once you're in your seat the Redskins and the game itself become the focus and object of your passion and energy. The degree of that passion will vary from fan to fan, but I dare say that how much you paid for your ticket or whether it was free has little to do with your enjoyment and raw excitement while Clinton Portis is sprinting 64 yards downfield for a touchdown.

I only bring this up because it seems some are making a very legitimate argument here about booing, proper decorum at the game, and how much one has paid to see the game. I think these are very legit arguments, but I also think those are in the realm of reason and intellect. Fans don't usually operate in that realm four quarters of football. It's raw emotion and it's usually to the extreme which usually matches the pace and intensity of the game. And that's why I think booing, while not acceptable to some, is a part of the game. It's not until afterwards that we may realize that, hey, I pay a lot to see this damn team and I expect better. I just don't think it's a chief concern while they are actually enjoying or not enjoyng the game. At least it's not for me.
Great points....and I agree somewhat. I just feel like I could have paid the $4 at the local high school and watched a better football game. Ill be the first one to say....Id have gladly paid twice as much to watch them put a 31-13 beatdown on a JV Rams team. The playcalling was horrible, and for some of the players(Moss) the effort was pathetic. Listening to him on postgame talking about "well we still moved the ball, and got points", maybe thats acceptable to him, but it isnt for me. I wanna see a PROFESSIONAL performance when I go and pay that kind of money to watch a football game.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Most pro athletes know that there will be booing and they accept that. What really gets to them though is when fans accuse them of not even trying or caring. That is why Henson's comments about just getting paid hit such a nerve. That is not typical of most pro athletes. Contrary to popular belief, most of these guys are not just content with getting their pay check. This is their livelihood and they want to be the best at it.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #35
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
Great points....and I agree somewhat. I just feel like I could have paid the $4 at the local high school and watched a better football game. Ill be the first one to say....Id have gladly paid twice as much to watch them put a 31-13 beatdown on a JV Rams team. The playcalling was horrible, and for some of the players(Moss) the effort was pathetic. Listening to him on postgame talking about "well we still moved the ball, and got points", maybe thats acceptable to him, but it isnt for me. I wanna see a PROFESSIONAL performance when I go and pay that kind of money to watch a football game.
Hey, no argument there. At think at some point the price and expectation certainly meet up and you just flat out want your money's worth.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #36
celts32
Playmaker

I was there and I didn't boo myself...but I didn't have a problem with those around me who did either. Booing is just noise...it's not throwing things or making personal comments about players...they are simply voicing their opinion about what was a poor offensive performance filled with questionable coaching decisions.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote