Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #106
MTK
\m/

Re: Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Question: will the Redskins use their top draft pick on a QB in 2020, if Haskins makes no progress this season?

Usually drafted QB get up to two seasons to prove themselves. Will he have that time or will the get a new QB draftee and either: have a QB competition or just dump Haskins for what they can get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think their plan all along was to sit Haskins this year. I really don't think they care about him playing this year. They knew coming in he was going to be a project.

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #107
MTK
\m/

Re: Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
As a backup, Haskins only job has been to learn the playbook. There's no excuse to be as clueless as he is 6 months in. APs comments would seem to indicate Haskins never really bothered. From what Sheehan has said, Haskin is the kind of guy that will put forth effort if he's "the guy" but completely not interested and disengaged if he's not. If he had been putting in the work from Day 1, perhaps he would be more prepared to be the starter.
As a starter it was Smith's job to learn it too and he struggled as we saw. There's a lot more to what he's trying to learn than just memorizing plays.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #108
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
As a starter it was Smith's job to learn it too and he struggled as we saw. There's a lot more to what he's trying to learn than just memorizing plays.
I do agree that its not fair to compare a seasoned veteran to a rookie when it comes to learning the playbook. The problem is that Haskins supposedly was not putting forth the effort to try. I will root for a player who is trying and struggling. I won't root for one who is lazy, entitled, and not putting in the work. Supposedly Haskins is finally starting to put in the work, but he would be much farther along if he had been doing this from day one.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #109
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Question: will the Redskins use their top draft pick on a QB in 2020, if Haskins makes no progress this season?

Usually drafted QB get up to two seasons to prove themselves. Will he have that time or will the get a new QB draftee and either: have a QB competition or just dump Haskins for what they can get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it depends on where we draft and who is available. Between Chase Young and the QBs, we are bound to have the option to select a "cant-miss" franchise player or have multiple offers to trade down.

As much as I am critical of Haskins, I do hope he gets on the field this year and shows us SOMETHING so that we have more options/leverage next year.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #110
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
As a backup, Haskins only job has been to learn the playbook. There's no excuse to be as clueless as he is 6 months in. APs comments would seem to indicate Haskins never really bothered. From what Sheehan has said, Haskin is the kind of guy that will put forth effort if he's "the guy" but completely not interested and disengaged if he's not. If he had been putting in the work from Day 1, perhaps he would be more prepared to be the starter.
Ive read this from several people but what AP comments are we talking about?

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo's reporting that AP said Haskins doesnt know the playbook have been dismissed as not true by AP.

----
“After the game, I am told that he mentioned to Dwayne Haskins, ‘Get your nose in the playbook and learn these plays. Everyone thinks you don’t know them. You’re proving them right. It is time to study the playbook. Know these things inside, outside, frontwards, backwards, and everything you can,’” Garofolo said. “If Adrian Peterson is telling you this, Dwayne Haskins, it’s time man. It’s time.”

There are a couple of people who are disputing Garofolo’s report, and they are pretty familiar with the story. That story reached both Peterson and Haskins on Twitter, and both players denied that Peterson said those things to Haskins. Peterson requested that Garofolo not report any words that the running back doesn’t say himself and reaffirmed his believe in Haskins.

“If you didn’t hear something direct from me, please don’t attribute it to me,” Peterson tweeted. “I believe in Dwayne and his potential. With more time, support & commitment, he can grown like any other rookie player.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Dwayne...ort-137611307/
Old 10-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #111
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Not only that but the learning comes through reps on the field as well and instead of pushing Haskins from the start Gruden pushed for his guy to get equal reps until he had to admit he wasn't physically able, then JG split reps with a vet who has been in many systems and Haskins. It is not all JGs fault, Haskins bears his part but don't make it all on DH by any means.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #112
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
I do agree that its not fair to compare a seasoned veteran to a rookie when it comes to learning the playbook. The problem is that Haskins supposedly was not putting forth the effort to try. I will root for a player who is trying and struggling. I won't root for one who is lazy, entitled, and not putting in the work. Supposedly Haskins is finally starting to put in the work, but he would be much farther along if he had been doing this from day one.
Do you really want to determine your support for Haskins based on the bold part?
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #113
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Ive read this from several people but what AP comments are we talking about?

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo's reporting that AP said Haskins doesnt know the playbook have been dismissed as not true by AP.

----
“After the game, I am told that he mentioned to Dwayne Haskins, ‘Get your nose in the playbook and learn these plays. Everyone thinks you don’t know them. You’re proving them right. It is time to study the playbook. Know these things inside, outside, frontwards, backwards, and everything you can,’” Garofolo said. “If Adrian Peterson is telling you this, Dwayne Haskins, it’s time man. It’s time.”

There are a couple of people who are disputing Garofolo’s report, and they are pretty familiar with the story. That story reached both Peterson and Haskins on Twitter, and both players denied that Peterson said those things to Haskins. Peterson requested that Garofolo not report any words that the running back doesn’t say himself and reaffirmed his believe in Haskins.

https://247sports.com/Article/Dwayne...ort-137611307/
Let's break down what AP actually said:

“If you didn’t hear something direct from me, please don’t attribute it to me,”

That's not a denial. AP did not dispute that the conversation happened. The fact that he didn't deny it would indicate that the conversation DID in fact happen and that AP DID say what Garafolo reported him as saying.

“I believe in Dwayne and his potential. With more time, support & commitment, he can grown like any other rookie player.”

According to Peterson, Haskins needs time, support, and COMMITTMENT to reach that potential. The very fact that he's saying this confirms that Haskins has not been showing the commitment he needs to show. And the fact that he says he can grow "just like any other rookie player" is such non-statement.

The whole thing is damning with faint praise. AP is a leader and a winner. The fact that he even had to have this conversation with Haskins is incredibly troubling.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #114
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Do you really want to determine your support for Haskins based on the bold part?
My mistake - I shouldn't have used the word supposedly as that indicates i'm not 100 percent sure in my statement that he has not put in the work. All reports are that he hasn't and the evidence that I've seen with my own eyes on the sidelines and in the games confirms it.

Haskins does not deserve support simply for being on the team and more than Bruce Allen does.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #115
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

That's not a denial. AP did not dispute that the conversation happened. The fact that he didn't deny it would indicate that the conversation DID in fact happen and that AP DID say what Garafolo reported him as saying.
I heard that interpretation floated around as well .. that AP didnt deny it so its true. I think thats a stretch imo, that AP wasnt blasting the message as being false, just blasting the reporting as second hand.

My gut says he is not Tom Brady but there is nothing to indicate he is Johnny Manziel or Paxton Lynch either. Im holding off on making absolute decisions on him until there is enough credible evidence out there to logically and soundly reach a decision.

2 emergency appearances and Ap denying he said he doesnt know the playbook doesnt come close to the level of information for anyone to make an objective decision. At least imo.

I get it. If I had to guess right now if the kid will be in the league 6 years from now, Id honestly probably say no but thats just me going off gut. Now if he was with a normal organization, then my gut would be "yes" he will be in the league for more than 6 years.

edit ---

"all reports are ..." = this is the bone im picking. the only reports are from Garofolo, and AP denied them. We can argue of interpretation of his denial and symantics but it was a denial.

Sheehan has said hes not the "first one in,last one out" but he is active, engaged, likeable and coachable.

Right now all we have are our assumptions and gut opinions.

Last edited by SunnySide; 10-30-2019 at 02:44 PM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #116
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

All this talk and I'm just sitting here like "why do we need two Haskins threads?"
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #117
30gut
Playmaker

I can’t imagine a worse set of circumstances for a rookie QB to get thrown into.

Ashburn is a thresher.....I thought Washington fans would know better then any how screwed up this situation was....Josh Rosen had in waaaaayyyyyy better and his situation was terrible.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 PM   #118
calia
Playmaker

Quote:

“I believe in Dwayne and his potential. With more time, support & commitment, he can grown like any other rookie player.”

According to Peterson, Haskins needs time, support, and COMMITTMENT to reach that potential. The very fact that he's saying this confirms that Haskins has not been showing the commitment he needs to show. And the fact that he says he can grow "just like any other rookie player" is such non-statement.

The whole thing is damning with faint praise. AP is a leader and a winner. The fact that he even had to have this conversation with Haskins is incredibly troubling.
The reference to commitment here could be a reference to the team committing to him as a starter, not Haskins' commitment. I think there's too much uncertainty here to make this into a real story. The only people who know what was said are AP and DH.