Sick of Free Agency

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Re: Sick of Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk81
I'm tired of everyone picking on the ATHLETES' salaries............

What about the actors/actresses who make more for ONE movie or TV show than an NFL player will get............of course, they show up for one charity benefit and make sure to have their picture taken so everyone will think they are caring concerned citizens........ :vomit-smi .

Then there are the rock stars.......sex, drugs, music...........and how many of you have paid $75 or more to go to a concert to have the singer lip sync their music

Then there's the politicians.......Let's vote ourselves a raise because despite our high salaries we can't afford to send our kids to college........well we middle class citizens can't afford to pay you

If I had to have one of these groups be overpaid......then let it go to the ATHLETES at least they work hard in the weight room, have to risk injury, being paralyzed, or after they retire are crippled for the rest of their life!
While I agree that most of these people are overpaid...if you are talking about the ones on the top level. There are hundreds...no...thousands of actors, actresses, musicians, and athletes that make a living doing what they do, and aren't making these huge amounts of money.

Most bands or music artists...even some of the top ones...don't make the money most people think they do...the record companies, promoters, etc. are making the big money, unless they manage to get a good deal, which is very hard unless or until they are already established and have proof they can be successful. Not like a rookie that turns into a bust, but still makes a mint because of "potential".

Ok, athletes risk injury, but is working out and staying in shape any different than a musician practicing daily to keep his/her chops up? I think not. Also, for most serious musicians, it's not "sex, drugs, music". Plus that type of thing can be said for athletes just the same these days...with all the sex and steriod/drug scandals that keep popping up.

Non-big name actors, bands/artists that aren't in the top 100, athletes in minor leagues (Minor league baseball, Arena football league, etc)....these are people making a living doing what they love and aspiring to rise to that top level. If they do, don't they deserve the same as everyone that has come before them? I think they do, even though it is way too much than it should be. But the bottom line is that if someone is willing to overpay them why not take it? I would.

So I agree that it's not just athletes that should be "picked on"...it's really anyone with any kind of celebrity status. But this is a football forum, isn't it??? We can complain about the other ones somewhere else.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote