Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McNabb, case study-coaching or talent at qb?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #61
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: McNabb, case study-coaching or talent at qb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It's not personal, I just get a bit annoyed with the "he's a class act" label he keeps getting slapped with by the average fan. He's not a class act. He essentially defied the coaching staff and then blasted the coaching staff (via his agent) when it caught up with him(aka..benched). Really, in the grand scheme of things, isn't that what Haynesworth did? Refused to do what the coaching staff asked, and basically did his own thing? I'm just ready to move on from that horrible chapter of Redskins history. What he is though, is a good PR guy.
Both sides were to blame for what happened here. McNabb didn't want to bust his ass and the Shanahan's let it go to the media. And you simply can't compare AH to Mcnabb. That's utterly ridiculous.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #62
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
I still think we should have just rode with Jason in Shanny's first season to see if he could play better. McNabb 1 season in DC giving up a 2nd and 4th rd pick. That was a big F-Up so it was better to let him go than bring him back for a 2nd season. We got out of his crazy contract and rec'd a late rd pick for McNasty. Glad he is not our QB problem.
Or play all of Rex last season. Given how good of a job Shanny did with our second rounder this year, I think he could have gotten an impact player last year with the second rounder.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #63
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yes, but he will still loose 16 fumbles.
Aren't all fumbles loose?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #64
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I am trying to think which QBs have successfully transitioned from one team to another. Drew Brees comes to mind, going from San Diego to becoming an elite QB in New Orleans (I don't know if there was much of a difference between the two systems). Favre one-year stint in Minny could be one...but that was only a year. I guess maybe Brad Johnson's move to Tampa could be considered. Can anybody else think of other examples?
Jake Plummer comes to mind most recently. I think if you go way back, Jim Plunkett had a successful stint with the Raiders after leaving the Patriots and Doug Williams lit it up for one year with the Skins after leaving Tampa Bay. So it does and can happen. However, I think the older the quarterback the more he must rely on the new system to be successful.

But who would thought just one year ago, we'd be talking about Rex Grossman being better than Donovan McNabb. What a difference a year makes.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #65
12thMan
MVP

Ruhskins, I'd add Kurt Warner and Trent Green to the listsof modern day QBs who have excelled in different systems.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #66
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZG1 View Post
I have to admit that I was fairly pleased when we acquire McNabb. With the a similar history to Elway (Unable to win "The Big Game"), I mistakenly thought that Shanahan could mold or modify McNabb's game to achieve positive results. Unfortunately my flawed deductive reasoning, for several reasons; (inability to accept change, poor offensive line play, lack of quality receivers, deterioration of athletic skills), was terribly wrong. That being said, I look at it as a expensive lesson learned. We appear to be moving in the right direction now, and additional mistakes will be made, but I have full confidence in our current administration's ability to recover from bad decisions and move forward!
Hell,I think just about everyone was excited as hell that we got Mcnabb,especially after he looked so good in the Houston game
Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #67
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Reid is good with QBs, but he doesn't actually go out there and play the game. Part of being good with QBs is showing the ability to pick the right ones. You can't be good at coaching up a position with no aptitude for finding the right guys.

McNabb was always overrated nationally, and the trade for him was a total disaster even at the time it was made, but overrated and not useful are two different things. Let's try not to totally re-write history here. McNabb became part of a very good system. He wasn't just there, he became an integral part of what they did. They didn't consistently throw 50 times a game with someone they were trying to hide.

They're a completely different offense now, and ditching McNabb was necessary to reach their offensive potential, but that doesn't make Donovan chopped liver. He was a very unique player for the passing era he played in.

But that era is over.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #68
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
After seeing what AJ Feeley did in Miami after leaving Reid, seeing what McNabb has done after leaving Reid, and seeing the transformation Vick has made since joining Andy Reid, it's probably time to give a ton of credit to Big Red as a developer of QBs.
I would also give Reid credit for the incredible prescience to know when to stick a fork in a guy. McNabb's done.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #69
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Yes I agree with all post above. McNabb is done and I think we saw signs of it last season but common sense told us to see if he could work through it.

I don't believe he will stay with Minnesota next year as a backup, like Matty said, Donovan might have lost the passion for the game, that makes it hard for a guy to stick around, not like other backups who still love football and are happy to help out in any capacity...