Let's talk some Orakpo

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #31
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk some Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I listened when I left a friends place during half time, when Sam disappeared for 3 minutes of game time during the start of the second half. I think Sonny said he went to the ATM? What the hell does he need to go to the ATM for during halftime? They do remind me of 2 old uncles, I feel like they might be drinking too.

I never really followed Maryland, but wasn’t shawne merriman really only a DE in college that got converted to OLB in the pros. Can anyone draw any comparisons, besides physically?
Maybe that's code for "he had to go to the bathroom." Those guys ain't exactly spring chickens.

I don't buy that Rak is too small to play every down DE, I think from Blache's comments it's more that he isn't that good at it yet. Plus they are short at OLB. Blache has always instilled a stop the run first/play your gap approach to his d-linemen & he probably wants more girth on the d-line for that, like DAniels.

Carter isn't much difference in size than Rak & he's been an every down DE for us. Though as his run stopping has improved, his sack #s are down.

Jarmon looked really good, nice burst & quick to disengage his blocker. I caught some of the replay last night in the 2nd half & saw him get in on a # of plays. He was of course going against scrubs on the o line, but if he can't beat those guys he doesn't have much of a chance at getting any pt. I agree w/someone's earlier post that said he looked winded at times. Especially on the last td play.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post
I just think of Sonny and Sam as having two uncles you really like watching the game in your living room next to you... not really as commentators. Larry is still the evil replacement for Frank Herzog so I just tune him out.
Michael is terrible. He's such a comapny man. He makes me puke sometimes.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Both guys did very well. Very very impressed with Orakpo's explosiveness. He was constantly getting held.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
Monksdown
The Starter

'Rak' should stunt every play behind Albert. Pick the gap you want.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #35
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Orackpo looked good in his first preseason game. I wouldn't elect him into the Hall of Fame yet, but he shows great promise. It was hard to tell if he was in position while he was playing linebacker. When he lined up at defensive end, his pass rushing skills are obvious. He can best help the team if he can play strong side linebacker on early downs and rush the passer on third down. So far, I like what I see.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
freddyg12
Playmaker

per matty's original post, that we could be set at DE for a while. That's hopefully the case, and the DT position looks stacked as well. Dixon is at least due for the practice squad if he plays like he did last week, and if he does go to the PS, somebody might snatch him up as DTs are always in demand. I don't know if they could keep 5 on the roster? That's counting Alexander as a DE.

Same for DE, somebody is gonna be cut that we would like to see on the team. Most likely Wynn and/or Buzbee.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #37
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I was thinking the same thing. How many DE's & DT's did we keep last year?

Also, <sigh> I think Chris Wilson's time with the club is limited.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #38
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I was thinking the same thing. How many DE's & DT's did we keep last year?

Also, <sigh> I think Chris Wilson's time with the club is limited.

I take it his move to OLB hasnt panned out
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #39
saden1
MVP

I was very impressed with him. I'm gonna go ahead and jump the gun and say if he plays full time he'll be a top candidate for defensive rookie of the year, maybe even have a pro-bowl appearance.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #40
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

and...

he would have made an even bigger impact in the Ravens game if the Ravens linemen didn't HOLD ON EVERY PLAY! ... look at this one!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #41
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
per matty's original post, that we could be set at DE for a while. That's hopefully the case, and the DT position looks stacked as well. Dixon is at least due for the practice squad if he plays like he did last week, and if he does go to the PS, somebody might snatch him up as DTs are always in demand. I don't know if they could keep 5 on the roster? That's counting Alexander as a DE.

Same for DE, somebody is gonna be cut that we would like to see on the team. Most likely Wynn and/or Buzbee.
Going into this last offseason the DL was a real concern. Now freddyg is rightfully talking about our being stacked there. While I am no great fan of Cerrato, he deserves credit for this.

In the next offseason if we rebuild the OL the way the DL was rebuilt this year, we might have something.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #42
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I don't know if anyone saw this from John Clayton, but this just hyped me up even more about Orakpo.

Quote:
Q: Do you think Green Bay was wise taking B.J. Raji over Brian Orakpo in the 2009 draft? Orakpo is a DE/LB and I hear that they are just going to move Raji to the DE, even though he is a DT. Do you think that Orakpo would have been the smarter choice looking at what position needed to be filled?

From Chris in Gahanna, Ohio

A: What a great question. From what I see of Orakpo, he has a chance to be a 10-sack star. Players like him are hard to find. But if you are switching to the 3-4, you have to find big defensive linemen. Raji is good enough to be a 3-4 end, but if needed, he can be Ryan Pickett's replacement at nose tackle in the next couple of years. The fact that the Packers drafted Clay Matthews covered the outside linebacker question, but, wow, I'm thinking Orakpo could be a star.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
Meks
Pro Bowl

i dont exactly like the way greg blache schemes as far as the DL goes.... at all ... i think re-signing daniels wasnt the smartest move either, i think wilson jarmon and orakpo should have just recieved all the playing time, its like he doesnt get it, we need the pressure off the edge.... if a qb steps up he'll prolly meet AH ... if AH penetrates, the edges are there, im just not confident enuff in daniels ability off the edge.... so im not particularly the happiest person with the decisions that have been made so far.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
i dont exactly like the way greg blache schemes as far as the DL goes.... at all ... i think re-signing daniels wasnt the smartest move either, i think wilson jarmon and orakpo should have just recieved all the playing time, its like he doesnt get it, we need the pressure off the edge.... if a qb steps up he'll prolly meet AH ... if AH penetrates, the edges are there, im just not confident enuff in daniels ability off the edge.... so im not particularly the happiest person with the decisions that have been made so far.
We resigned Daniels March 31st -before the draft! and a great pickup I think, as much for mentoring as current ability. Also see the story in the current news section Awesome determination

We didn't know we would have Orakpo or Jarmon, and as much as I like Jarmon, he is a rookie, with 1 preseason game.

That end has always been a run-stuffer first, when we went with the other guy last year our sacks went down, and run stop was hurt.

I am fine with the way the D Line is set up. both now, and for the next 4-5 years atleast!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #45
Meks
Pro Bowl

jason taylor played hurt and shitty all last year. thats why sacks went down and run stopping suffered, at least on that side.... i like daniels as a mentor ur right, i just hope they rotate a hell of alot cuz we have the guys to do it....
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote