Washington Redskins: How Daniel Snyder found his man in Mike Shanahan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #31
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Washington Redskins: How Daniel Snyder found his man in Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My take on the article is that Cerrato gave the WP his view and made DS look real bad. They never attributed their source, but some of the things could only be known by a few people if true, and the line where he turns to Cerrato and says "take care of this" seems like a self important claim someone like Vinny would make. Also the direct lying incident to PK. Anyway, who knows if any of this is true or just a one sided/bitter view of the actions.

DS has always seemed to me to find one guy and trust him, usually with bad results, I hope he is changing but we will see.
You make some excellent points. When you ask who the Deep Throat source is who offered all of this hidden information, you have to wonder about the quality of the information.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

So has anybody pointed out that these three Snyder "enablers"-Donovan, Cerrato, Swanson-are all no longer associated with the organization?

Anyhow, as 44Ever says...it's Sunday!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I would think you could say by getting the hell out of the teams way he owned his own mistakes. He realized the way he was trying to get the job done was wrong, and brought in the right people to "right" the ship. By doing so he admitted to not knowing what he was doing, and in a sense owned up to his mistakes.

I never said DS lead us to being contenders, and I also might add that I am not sold on this year, but I am sold on this franchise's new direction. Which I believe in the next couple of years will be put us in contention to win the East and hopefully more.

How is hiring MS showing off everything that is wrong with his ownership?

ALSO wow, you put our owner and Al Davis as the worst owners in the league and fail to mention Jerry Jones.
Going after Shanny in the middle of the season with Zorn still as the head coach = everything wrong with DS. And look at your previous post, verbatim you said DS brought in guys to 'lead us to being contenders'. And I hate Jones as much as the next Redskins fans but under his ownership, Dallas has made the playoffs 12 out of the 21 seasons he's owned them, won the division outright 8 times, won the conference 3 times, and won the superbowl 3 times. Again, I hate, hate, hate Jerry Jones -- but his team's performance under his ownership is not even comparable to DS.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #34
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So has anybody pointed out that these three Snyder "enablers"-Donovan, Cerrato, Swanson-are all no longer associated with the organization?

4 actually, you forgot Tortise

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #35
MTK
\m/

Kinda don't understand the timing of this article, seems like it would have been a good offseason article, but whatever.

Hope everyone is ready to bury crap like this after today.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #36
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Good point but the hnic is still at the top of the totem pole, and he's the one who carries the big stick. Honestly I don't have a problem with Snyder anymore if he's being true to his word and staying out of the football side, and judging from the way this team has been built since Shanny took over I think it's fair to say he's kept his word, but all the same it's still Snyder lol. Shanny can make all the decisions he wants but at the end of the day it's about results.

Either way this article isn't a big deal, as it pertains to something that happened two years ago.

I'm so glad in about 6 hours we'll have actual football related matters to talk about. This time can't go by fast enough lol.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #37
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
My take on the article is that Cerrato gave the WP his view and made DS look real bad.
That's exactly who the source is and it's a dead give away. Notice how there is no mention of how Bruce Allen came into the picture. Guess who wasn't around to see or hear how that came about. Vinny.

Quote:
Anyway, who knows if any of this is true or just a one sided/bitter view of the actions.
It's a 100% true. Some ES insiders were talking about this stuff back when it happened, and even alluded to the fact the reason we went after Cutler so hard was to draw in Shanny. They got killed by hatters back then, but the vindication is bittersweet I suppose.

Quote:
I did point out he's doing what I wanted him to, in hiring football minds and staying the hell away. Also Smoot, are they enablers or guys that just does what Dan wants and take the fall (or bad PR) when it hits the fan? I mean, these guys weren't around when his company was slamming people to drive up it's value. Who was the blame then? It seems everywhere, there is always an excuse to Dan's actions. Personally, I think David Donovan was a huge douchebag and I'm glad he's gone. Karl Swanson either failed at his job hard or Danny simply didn't listen to his advice. Who knows really. Well, I really don't need to say anything about Vinny...lol

I'm glad to be moving on and will enjoy the ride with Bruce and Mike.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #38
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Kinda don't understand the timing of this article, seems like it would have been a good offseason article, but whatever.

Hope everyone is ready to bury crap like this after today.
I'll drink to that.

ps. my guess the timing of the article is in relation to when Wise was able to get confirmation from his source.(aka..vinny)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #39
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
And I hate Jones as much as the next Redskins fans but under his ownership, Dallas has made the playoffs 12 out of the 21 seasons he's owned them, won the division outright 8 times, won the conference 3 times, and won the superbowl 3 times. Again, I hate, hate, hate Jerry Jones -- but his team's performance under his ownership is not even comparable to DS.
Well, that's a bit misleading. Many of those years they excelled and were in the playoffs, other people were making the decisions. (Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells) You notice after those guys left, the teams dropped dramatically and for good reason. Jerry doesn't need to be the GM. He has no business at all being the man making personnel decisions.

3 in a row...somebody COMBO BREAKER!!

Last edited by NC_Skins; 09-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Real nice piece. It just shows what a total clown Snyder is. He gets drunk after a tough loss, gets his cronnies together and they fly out to meet Shanahan during the season. You just would never see the Mara's or the Rooney's doing crap like this. But whatever... that's water under the bridge.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
That's exactly who the source is and it's a dead give away. Notice how there is no mention of how Bruce Allen came into the picture. Guess who wasn't around to see or hear how that came about. Vinny.

It's a 100% true. Some ES insiders were talking about this stuff back when it happened, and even alluded to the fact the reason we went after Cutler so hard was to draw in Shanny. They got killed by hatters back then, but the vindication is bittersweet I suppose.

I did point out he's doing what I wanted him to, in hiring football minds and staying the hell away. Also Smoot, are they enablers or guys that just does what Dan wants and take the fall (or bad PR) when it hits the fan? I mean, these guys weren't around when his company was slamming people to drive up it's value. Who was the blame then? It seems everywhere, there is always an excuse to Dan's actions. Personally, I think David Donovan was a huge douchebag and I'm glad he's gone. Karl Swanson either failed at his job hard or Danny simply didn't listen to his advice. Who knows really. Well, I really don't need to say anything about Vinny...lol

I'm glad to be moving on and will enjoy the ride with Bruce and Mike.
My experience with the three would lead me to say that Swanson (like Fred Drasner) is a power hungry bully, Cerrato is way too insecure and Donovan is a great guy put in a bad spot.

But what's done is done. It's football season! and I agree with your last sentence. And don't forget about Brown and Campbell. They've been key as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I'll drink to that.

ps. my guess the timing of the article is in relation to when Wise was able to get confirmation from his source.(aka..vinny)
It took him 2+ years to confirm his source? Ok
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Well, that's a bit misleading. Many of those years they excelled and were in the playoffs, other people were making the decisions. (Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells) You notice after those guys left, the teams dropped dramatically and for good reason. Jerry doesn't need to be the GM. He has no business at all being the man making personnel decisions.

3 in a row...somebody COMBO BREAKER!!
Yup, just look at Jerrah's track record since JJ left (and Switzer won with his sloppy seconds). Nothing too special.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #44
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It took him 2+ years to confirm his source? Ok

Maybe I shouldn't have said "confirm his source", but instead used, "his source decided to talk about it." I doubt Vinny would have talked back then about what went on (or David D.). We don't know really. It's like asking why did Snyder decide to drop the lawsuit this week? It is what it is. Oh, there is a football game at 4 today!!

Last edited by NC_Skins; 09-11-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
12thMan
MVP

Yeah, nothing in the article I found to be really explosive reporting. It was an interesting read, but that's about it. This shit goes on in the NFL all the time and anyone who thinks it doesn't are fooling themselves.

I'm ready for some football. Screw all this he said she said Portis bashing. Clinton Portis left here as the second leading rusher in Redskins history. A serious feat considering he played with sub-par talent, battled injuries, and saw a carousel of coaches during his tenure as a Redskin. Am I a Clinton Portis apologist? I don't think so. But the stuff he got away with and the ensuing apology was more symptomatic of the failure of front office management and leadership, than a real indictment of Portis' outsized ego. He simply exploited it.

For all the constant Snyder bashing, you guys really need to get over it. Dan Snyder's flaws and shortcomings are well documented, so one more article won't tip any opinions in either direction. I know it's hard to give him any sort of credit, but those clowns that helped him court Shanahan are no longer around the organization. At some point, we have to move on like it appears that Snyder has moved on.

Last edited by 12thMan; 09-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote