Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Much Longer until the NFL no longer does the national anthem?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

How Much Longer until the NFL no longer does the national anthem?

After the President's comments about kneeling during the anthem, i think it's safe to say that the NFL players showed up in force this weekend to kneel during the anthem.

How much longer until the NFL decides to end the national anthem before games? I think we could see it within the next season or two, as players continue to kneel. Hell, the entire Pittsburgh Steelers declined to participate in the anthem. It is only a matter of time until teams refuse to come out on the field while the anthem is being played.

I just want to say that I 100% support any person's rights who live in this country to peaceful protest. That includes kneeling during the anthem. Yes, I am a veteran, and this does not offend me. While i choose to stand obviously, i respect the rights of those who choose to not stand. I do not believe that a country can force patriotism. North Korea comes to mind when i think of a place where "all people must stand for the anthem".

I believe that people are paying to watch football games, not see a display of patriotism or any other kind of theatrics that aren't NFL football. There are plenty of other opportunities for patriotism, etc., that doesn't involve football.

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: How Much Longer until the NFL no longer does the national anthem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
After the President's comments about kneeling during the anthem, i think it's safe to say that the NFL players showed up in force this weekend to kneel during the anthem.

How much longer until the NFL decides to end the national anthem before games? I think we could see it within the next season or two, as players continue to kneel. Hell, the entire Pittsburgh Steelers declined to participate in the anthem. It is only a matter of time until teams refuse to come out on the field while the anthem is being played.

I just want to say that I 100% support any person's rights who live in this country to peaceful protest. That includes kneeling during the anthem. Yes, I am a veteran, and this does not offend me. While i choose to stand obviously, i respect the rights of those who choose to not stand. I do not believe that a country can force patriotism. North Korea comes to mind when i think of a place where "all people must stand for the anthem".

I believe that people are paying to watch football games, not see a display of patriotism or any other kind of theatrics that aren't NFL football. There are plenty of other opportunities for patriotism, etc., that doesn't involve football.
Thank You for your service!I don't give two shits why they came to the game ,you and many,many others sacrificed so those fans can drink and enjoy the game the least they can do is put up with the National Anthem for 5 mins,sit kneel .I don't care ,stand with a fist ....it's your right but at least honor the Men and Women who sacrificed to give that opportunity to you.

Last edited by Giantone; 09-25-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Thank You for your service!I don't give two shits why they came to the game ,you and many,many others sacrificed so those fans can drink and enjoy the game the least they can do is put up with the National Anthem for 5 mins,sit kneel .I don't care ,stand with a fist ....it's your right but at least honer the Men and Women who sacrificed to give that opportunity to you.
I agree with at least the first half of Giantone's post and I too thank Solid's service. We have our oldest son on the brink of becoming an officer in the USMC and our youngest headed in that same position after finishing college.

This is such a devisive subject and everyone should be able to express themselves w/o retribution but can we just keep politics out of sports? I've even endured the occasional entertainer in concert that wants to rant about politics and I'm sorry but that is not why I purchased a ticket. Just sing the damn song and pass the freakin' football and leave the commentary for another venue.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #4
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post

It's not going to happen. The Anthem stays, as it should. Maybe it's because of my 22 years in the Army, but whenever I go to a game I still get chills when the flag comes out and thousands of people pay their respects. Why would you get rid of that?

For the record, the entire Steelers team didn't decline to participate in the National Anthem. Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, came out in the tunnel entrance and put his hand over his heart, even as his coach was hoping he wouldn't. I respect that move. Perhaps it wasn't a popular move as far as his team is concerned, but how can you not respect that? I hope he isn't ostracized for it. After all, this is a man who could probably teach all other 52 dudes a little bit about being a team...

I think what happened today needed to happen, with the unity across the league. I think it was a huge statement. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the respect I believe our Flag deserves. I think that the POTUS crossed a line that he probably had no business even approaching, but it's a slippery slope. I just wish there was a way for these men, who I believe have very good intentions, to show solidarity and make a difference without involving something I think should be almost untouchable.

In my mind patriotism means embracing America for what she is, the good and the bad, while trying to make the good better, and trying to fix the bad. So I will never disagree with the players' intentions, but it would be nice to see some true action. I mean, go ahead and sit in the locker room if you want, kneel, lock arms, raise your fist, whatever...but get on out there and do something about what you think is wrong with America.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
irish
Playmaker

I have wondered for a long time why we play the National Anthem before sports events when we don't play it before movies, Broadway shows, or concerts. Personally I don't think its necessary and wouldn't have a problem if it was discontinued. That said it, it isn't gonna happen.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

If this happened in world cup soccer, people would die. What would Pat Tillman say? He died for this country.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Getting rid of it wouldn’t solve anything
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
If this happened in world cup soccer, people would die. What would Pat Tillman say? He died for this country.
I personally stand for the flag; figuratively and actually.

BUT what makes this country amazing and what so many have died for is the ability for you the individual to have the choice to either stand or sit. that is what makes this country amazing not our National Anthem.

Everyone wants free speech until the speech isn't what they believe in. Its a 2 way street folks.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
mike340
Special Teams

I also think people should respect the flag. (Villanueva played at Army with my closest cousin's kid.) The real problem seems to be Goodell.

Let's see... The players can do their show disrespecting the anthem and the flag without a fine, but they can't touch the proscribed uniform or they get a fine. (Even if the cause is a good one.)

Why doesn't Goods..t allow a standardized decal/emblem/... that the players can wear to make their statement that the league won't fine them for? I would imagine that the players aren't really against the country or the flag, but Goodell has actually forced them to this since they can't touch their NFL uniform.

I say it's time for him to get his **** together and allow the players to express themselves on their uniform without their getting fined. This may actually be a way to satisfy all parties. (...except for panties-in-a-bunch Goodell.)
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
VirgilTibbs

I think it stays. It is a custom/tradition just like the flag salute in schools. However, a child cannot be forced to salute the flag or receive punishment/discpline if they do not (religious reasons etc.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_V...on_v._Barnette

The country is comprised of all types of people with differing backgrounds, religious and political views. Some come from military families, are die hard American patriots who believe you should die for and plege allegiance to your country.

Others are just just peaceful law abiding citizens who reside here, pay taxes but don't agree with some of the values of the country, injustice, history of wars and innocent bloodshed so they refuse to participate in customary traditions. They still honor and obey public officials, law enforcement, those in the military and the service they perform and respect and feel compassion for any and all loss of human life.

An individual should be able to have the right to choose based on their own personal beliefs whether or not to stand, sit, kneel, sing or not participate during such traditions that are included in the place of employment or at school without fear of losing their job or receiving discipline. As long as the individual is peaceful and their behavior is not noisy or disruptive to others around them who choose to participate.

Just remember, at one time people were actually killed for not saluting (Hitler).
VirgilTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Terrific. It only took 10 posts on this topic for someone to draw a line to Hitler.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Getting rid of it wouldn’t solve anything
Important point. And it absolutely should not go away...just like players should be given an opportunity to continue to peacefully protest whether I like it or not

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
metalskins
The Starter

I wonder how effective these protests would be in North Korea?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
over the mountain
Playmaker

My daughter and I actually stood for the national anthem at a restaurant when the 1 o'clock games came on yesterday. We were walking back from the bathroom so we were already standing, not sure we would have stood up from eating if it came on.

I dont know. I dont mean to lessen the protesting players important message but .... i just dont care. Sit, stand, kneel ... what ever. Just as long as it is done while being quiet and respectful. I dont care enough to get outraged.

I went to public school in Montgomery county ... am I the only one who had some kids sit during the pledge of allegiance for social injustice reasons? This isnt anything new.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Funny how people forget about pat Tillman...much more of a man than what we see today on the field. He fought so cunts could get on all fours, lift his legs and piss like a bitch. But yet the NFL will push this person as a role model for the league.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote