Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #136
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My question is about your line "2022 then becomes all about finding that winner QB". What makes you think 2022 will hold better options for finding that QB? If we bolster our defense and our team does about the same or slightly better we would be right back at this point, no real draft option because we aren't in the top 10, but now we don't necessarily have 2!! elite or damn near elite QB's wanting out of their current team.

This seems like the perfect storm to get a medium to long term answer at QB, then if we don't find that LB leader in late rounds this year go all in on a stud LB in 2022. I don't see any logic in letting this team flounder without a solution at QB this year in the hopes of finding the solution in 2022.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Im 100% with you on this. id prefer we answer the QB question this offseason. My point was .. if we do stand pat and just sign Fitz or ride with Allen/heinike in 2021, that makes 2022 a "must add legit QB" offseason. We cannot go into 2022 without a legit competent QB.

I dont know what 2022 holds (AAron perhaps?). This offseason seems as good as any in recent memory in terms of available franchise QBs.

trade for Stafford or Watson
FA - perhaps Dak or go poorman with Fitz

I feel like there is a surprise or two to drop in the next 2 months and we arent just limited to Stafford or a low end FA. Maybe Packs move Aaron a year early. Maybe Matt Ryan or Kirk Cousins or Carr or Goff become available.

not saying Id want a Carr or Ryan etc but I want to look at all the options. Currently I think Stafford for a 1st and 3rd is most realistic and interesting.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #137
Schneed10
A Dude

I think Rivera views program building and culture building as very much a psychological thing, he had the team buy in and they went from 3-13 to 7-9, overcoming a lot along the way to win the NFC East. He commented that he looks at the 2020 team very fondly because of what they overcame and thus he doesn't want to see the program's growth stall out. I think he will be looking to make a big move at QB to help the program take the next step.

Once that next step occurs in 2021, we then become a destination for players.

All this is just to say that those of you who think the time to make the big move for a QB is now, I think Rivera sees it the exact same way and I'd be absolutely shocked if it didn't happen.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #138
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Well, he did say in his introductory press conference that he's not interested in a 5-year rebuilding period. Maybe that means this is going to be an all-in type of offseason.

However, he also stated that his main goal is to build a consistent winner - and to win the SB. Maybe that means he won't go all in on one position (QB) if that puts the rest of the roster in jeopardy.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #139
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I dont think our D is no. 2, Id say we are top 10 or so though.

But if we are downgrading things bc of back up QBs ... then this team played 17 games and won 7 of them with back up QBs so that should count as an upgrade to our future predictions. Haskins/Allen/Smith/Heinike = gave us maybe 2 games collectively of average/competent QB play.

back up Qb play has to go both ways here.
They finished at number 2 in yards allowed

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #140
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Miami traded RT and a 6th Rd pick for a 7th Rd pick, and the next year's 4th. That's not close to the compensation people on here are saying WFT should offer for Stafford.

I don't know who's better, probably Stafford, but it just depends on the weapons around them. Tennessee is pretty stacked with Derek Henry, Corey Davis, AJ Brown...
That they did, Corey Davis is also a FA right now, we have young talent in Gibson, and McLaurin, and Thomas who surprised everyone. Who is to say that you insert Stafford and he doesnt give you the same or better production than Tannehill is giving???

Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #141
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Can Stafford be traded asap? Even if it isn't to us. This thread might get to 30 pages.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #142
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Can Stafford be traded asap? Even if it isn't to us. This thread might get to 30 pages.
They can agree but it cant be official

Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #143
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
That they did, Corey Davis is also a FA right now, we have young talent in Gibson, and McLaurin, and Thomas who surprised everyone. Who is to say that you insert Stafford and he doesnt give you the same or better production than Tannehill is giving???
I'm sure Stafford's mere presence would help elevate the level of play of the entire offense - as is. However, they have to add a bonafide threat opposite McLaurin, another TE who can be a threat down the field, and depth everywhere. And that's just on offense.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #144
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
I'm sure Stafford's mere presence would help elevate the level of play of the entire offense - as is. However, they have to add a bonafide threat opposite McLaurin, another TE who can be a threat down the field, and depth everywhere. And that's just on offense.
and that can be down via free agency and the rest of the draft

Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #145
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
and that can be down via free agency and the rest of the draft

If it were only that easy...

Schneed estimated the cap space after retention of WFT Free Agents to be $36.6M

Stafford's cap hit next year would be about $20M (edited).

If he doesn't restructure to a friendlier cap number (why would he when there will be probably a dozen or more teams who want his services), then there's not much you will be able to do in free agency unless you decide not to retain some of the WFT free agents like Scherff, Darby, Moreau, Sims, Heinicke, etc.

Then say you offered the #19 pick, and one of the 3rd round draft picks (or maybe more depending on other bids and what you're willing to give away). Now you have six or less picks remaining - one each in rounds 2-7. You would have to absolutely hit it out of the park, getting a Kam Curl type player with every pick to fill the glaring holes (WR, TE, OL, LBx2, S, CB), and you would be unable to add any depth to the roster.

To me the scenario plays out like we might as well be the Detroit Lions, and if I'm Stafford it doesn't look all that appealing to me.

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 01-25-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #146
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:

Stafford's cap hit next year is $33M.

If he doesn't restructure to a friendlier cap number (why would he when there will be probably a dozen or more teams who want his services), then there's not much you will be able to do in free agency unless you decide not to retain some of the WFT free agents like Scherff, Darby, Moreau, Sims, Heinicke, etc.

Then say you offered the #19 pick, and one of the 3rd round draft picks (or maybe more depending on other bids and what you're willing to give away). Now you have six or less picks remaining - one each in rounds 2-7. You would have to absolutely hit it out of the park, getting a Kam Curl type player with every pick to fill the glaring holes (WR, TE, OL, LBx2, S, CB), and you would be unable to add any depth to the roster.

To me the scenario plays out like we might as well be the Detroit Lions, and if I'm Stafford it doesn't look all that appealing to me.
I have some questions.

Does this account for the cap savings in letting Alex Smith go?

Where did you get the $33M cap figure for Stafford? Seems to me I read that it was in the low 20's.

I just haven't seen our cap situation portrayed as being in such a bad way elsewhere.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #147
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I have some questions.

Does this account for the cap savings in letting Alex Smith go?

Where did you get the $33M cap figure for Stafford? Seems to me I read that it was in the low 20's.

I just haven't seen our cap situation portrayed as being in such a bad way elsewhere.
Yes. http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64800

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-...stafford-6078/
Old 01-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #148
Number44
Special Teams

I'm pretty sure that the $33M would be Detroit's cap hit if they kept Stafford. They would be hit with $19M dead cap if they trade him. The cash for this year ($20M) would be the new team's cap hit, as I understand it. That's what I've read elsewhere, but I'm certainly no cap guru.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #149
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the $33M would be Detroit's cap hit if they kept Stafford. They would be hit with $19M dead cap if they trade him. The cash for this year ($20M) would be the new team's cap hit, as I understand it. That's what I've read elsewhere, but I'm certainly no cap guru.
Yeah, me either. Another article does say it's more like $20M for the new team.

So that would leave about $16M of cap space for 2021.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #150
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

Stafford's cap hit next year would be about $20M (edited).

We aren't the Lions, we won the division with one of the worst offenses I have ever seen (We literally got to week 17 before getting ANY opening drive score)

Better QB play leads to more points which keeps the defense off the field which keeps them fresh, which leads to more wins. A first and 3rd if that is what it takes for Stafford, I am fine with it.

Also to point out we traded for Alex in 2018 when he was 34, and he had us leading the so called better division through 9 games before his injury and in that season our offense wasnt good either. If Stafford comes here he is instantly the best QB in the division and I am including Dak in that. We would be the favorite, and player on our team will be getting better as well. We have young talent but you cant just win with only young talent.

I just want to know if we dont trade for Stafford, Watson, or Rodgers who is our starting QB next season? And if someone says Marcus Mariotta we might as well go out there with Kyle Allen