Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins OTAs

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #31
FrenchSkin
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,613
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I'm not trying to make excuses for him but those catches are harder to do when you only get 1 target a quarter.

He needs to earn a bigger role in our game plan or GTFO.
It's been long enough.
You made a good point about KC not taking shots during the week at practice, I remember that segment on C&K, and it definitely has to be a factor, especially for a "rookie"... but still, he's a pro, he should be able to make the most of his opportunities.

Again, I hope he finally does!
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
skinsfan69
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,437
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Heís definitely got the skills to be a #1, he just needs to prove it now
I don't think he has the skills to be a 1. To me he plays too soft, doesn't seem to play witb any intensity. He's really good at jump balls but that's about it. If it's 3rd and 7 and we need a go to guy to make a tough catch it ain't Doc. That guy was Garcon.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
skinsfan69
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,437
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
It sure is, in his case. Like the way smaller DB's easily jam his routes at the LOS. He might get better at route running and he might get physically stronger but will he ever be tough enough to become a legitimate NFL starter?

I thought he was the best WR in the draft when he came out of college. Now I think he might not not make it in this league.
Doc is soft IMO. Grant made tougher catches if you ask me.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
skinsfan69
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,437
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I can't help to think that maybe some of Kirk's game, especially last year, was all about padding the numbers, less about helping these guys get developed. When Favre was playing, the dude went after it. If it got picked, it got picked, but he wasn't afraid to break in a new receiver.
So you think Smith is going to be a gunslinger? He might be more conservative that Cousins was.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #35
metalskins
The Starter
 
metalskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,235
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So you think Smith is going to be a gunslinger? He might be more conservative that Cousins was.
He might be a gunslinger.
__________________
Reserved for a witty signature.
metalskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #36
skinsfaninok
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 23,070
Re: Redskins OTAs

Matt Ioannidis was 5th in the NFL on Pass rush pressures for a DT,

I think we have forgotten about him in the mix as well.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #37
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 90,819
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Matt Ioannidis was 5th in the NFL on Pass rush pressures for a DT,



I think we have forgotten about him in the mix as well.

He could be in for a breakout season
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #38
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Posts: 10,296
Re: Redskins OTAs

Doc is coming into his third year. WR is one of the toughest positions to transition from college to pro. Sure, a handful of WR's are day 1 ready. Most take a couple years to develop.

I am not ready to pass judgment on Doc yet. After this year, if he fails to produce, fine, I will not object when folks say he is soft or not a No. 1. He made some hard catches and did not shy away from contact as far as I could tell. I don't know if KC wasn't comfortable with him or if Doctson really just wasn't doing his job. Let's see if Smith / Richardson make a difference.
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #39
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Posts: 10,296
Re: Redskins OTAs

So, youtube had a couple videos of all of Doctson's targets in the Denver and Saints game.

In the Saints' game, he had 4 catches on 7 targets. Of the three non-catches, he got his hands on one but couldn't pull it in, the other two were on Cousins.

In the Denver game he had 2 catches on 13 targets. Of the non-catches, the vast majority (at least 6) were just bad throws by KC. Three were ones he should have caught with one being a very tough but makeable catch.

Nothing in the videos, however, show a "soft" receiver. He ran over the middle without hesitation and consistently contested balls in the air (in one, he almost turned a certain interception in the end zone into a TD). When close, and whether he caught it or not, he would lay out and take the pounding in the attempt. In addition, on several of KC's misses, Doc was open and KC just either underthrew or overthrew him (in one Doc had beaten double coverage deep and KC just threw it behind him, two yards in front and it's a TD).

It was only two games but I didn't see anything in them that would cause me to believe he is lacking the skills or the will needed to be a No. 1 WR in the league.

At this point, I expect a big leap from last year. He had a full year of being healthy after missing all but two games his rookie year. In addition, I am admittedly buying into the company line that KC really didn't take many chances downfield with him (although he did force the ball into a couple double coverages in an attempt to give Doc a chance, I think he was about 50/50 on those).

All this is to say that, if I was to bet on it, I'd bet we see very significant improvement in his numbers this year.
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #40
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Posts: 13,297
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
So, youtube had a couple videos of all of Doctson's targets in the Denver and Saints game.

In the Saints' game, he had 4 catches on 7 targets. Of the three non-catches, he got his hands on one but couldn't pull it in, the other two were on Cousins.

In the Denver game he had 2 catches on 13 targets. Of the non-catches, the vast majority (at least 6) were just bad throws by KC. Three were ones he should have caught with one being a very tough but makeable catch.

Nothing in the videos, however, show a "soft" receiver. He ran over the middle without hesitation and consistently contested balls in the air (in one, he almost turned a certain interception in the end zone into a TD). When close, and whether he caught it or not, he would lay out and take the pounding in the attempt. In addition, on several of KC's misses, Doc was open and KC just either underthrew or overthrew him (in one Doc had beaten double coverage deep and KC just threw it behind him, two yards in front and it's a TD).

It was only two games but I didn't see anything in them that would cause me to believe he is lacking the skills or the will needed to be a No. 1 WR in the league.

At this point, I expect a big leap from last year. He had a full year of being healthy after missing all but two games his rookie year. In addition, I am admittedly buying into the company line that KC really didn't take many chances downfield with him (although he did force the ball into a couple double coverages in an attempt to give Doc a chance, I think he was about 50/50 on those).

All this is to say that, if I was to bet on it, I'd bet we see very significant improvement in his numbers this year.
I am thinking 77 catches 1,081 yards and 9 TDs
__________________
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2DfaB5lr7hZsqiI4W15Lge

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #41
FrenchSkin
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,613
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
So, youtube had a couple videos of all of Doctson's targets in the Denver and Saints game.

In the Saints' game, he had 4 catches on 7 targets. Of the three non-catches, he got his hands on one but couldn't pull it in, the other two were on Cousins.

In the Denver game he had 2 catches on 13 targets. Of the non-catches, the vast majority (at least 6) were just bad throws by KC. Three were ones he should have caught with one being a very tough but makeable catch.

Nothing in the videos, however, show a "soft" receiver. He ran over the middle without hesitation and consistently contested balls in the air (in one, he almost turned a certain interception in the end zone into a TD). When close, and whether he caught it or not, he would lay out and take the pounding in the attempt. In addition, on several of KC's misses, Doc was open and KC just either underthrew or overthrew him (in one Doc had beaten double coverage deep and KC just threw it behind him, two yards in front and it's a TD).

It was only two games but I didn't see anything in them that would cause me to believe he is lacking the skills or the will needed to be a No. 1 WR in the league.

At this point, I expect a big leap from last year. He had a full year of being healthy after missing all but two games his rookie year. In addition, I am admittedly buying into the company line that KC really didn't take many chances downfield with him (although he did force the ball into a couple double coverages in an attempt to give Doc a chance, I think he was about 50/50 on those).

All this is to say that, if I was to bet on it, I'd bet we see very significant improvement in his numbers this year.
I am not as hopeful as you are, but I sure hope you're right! Potential is there.
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #42
DYoungJelly
The Starter
 
DYoungJelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Clintwood, VA
Posts: 1,380
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Doc is coming into his third year. WR is one of the toughest positions to transition from college to pro. Sure, a handful of WR's are day 1 ready. Most take a couple years to develop.

I am not ready to pass judgment on Doc yet. After this year, if he fails to produce, fine, I will not object when folks say he is soft or not a No. 1. He made some hard catches and did not shy away from contact as far as I could tell. I don't know if KC wasn't comfortable with him or if Doctson really just wasn't doing his job. Let's see if Smith / Richardson make a difference.
I heard Cooley go over this a few weeks ago. He was doing it from the point of view of which positions to draft versus which positions to sign in FA.

He was making the categorization based purely on how quickly players at the position transition from college to the NFL.

He lumped WR squarely as a position that takes longer to develop.

Hope springs eternal.
__________________
I'm tired of these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #43
skinsfaninok
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 23,070
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He could be in for a breakout season
It's keeping these guys on the field, I saw Allen saying that is his biggest goal. Kinda scares me that he has that thinking already.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,723
Re: Redskins OTAs

One thing is clear with Doctson, if we can start the season with P. Rich, Reed and Crowder all healthy ready to go his opportunity will be at its greatest potential since he's been here.

With P Rich's speed and Reed's ability as top 5 pass catching TE...these 2 will demand the most attention from the D coordinator's passing defense. Throw in Crowder a nuisance type receiver who has proven to be a playmaker and match up problem working underneath....he will probably demand some attention especially when it comes to formation match ups.

Doctson will probably be left alone on the 2nd corner without safety help...certainly an opportunity here.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #45
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Posts: 10,296
Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
One thing is clear with Doctson, if we can start the season with P. Rich, Reed and Crowder all healthy ready to go his opportunity will be at its greatest potential since he's been here.

With P Rich's speed and Reed's ability as top 5 pass catching TE...these 2 will demand the most attention from the D coordinator's passing defense. Throw in Crowder a nuisance type receiver who has proven to be a playmaker and match up problem working underneath....he will probably demand some attention especially when it comes to formation match ups.

Doctson will probably be left alone on the 2nd corner without safety help...certainly an opportunity here.
I mean, throw in Chris Thompson and that just becomes a nightmare scenario for coordinators.
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.15407 seconds with 10 queries