Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Alex Smith Cut (update: retired)

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 09:53 PM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 19,852
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
our offense was never good with him. there was an obvious drop off from Cousins to Smith.
offensive production drop off maybe, better record definitely.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,118
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Actually, both teams drafted a better player and let him sit behind AS for a year. Neither team "got rid of him and drafted a better player". Had we drafted a better player in lieu of Haskins, we would be in terrific shape as AS' contract expired. But alas - Haskins...
I am only talking about KC. Facts are when Mahomes took over they won a SB and went to another. Would never have happened w/ Smith.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 19,852
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I am only talking about KC. Facts are when Mahomes took over they won a SB and went to another. Would never have happened w/ Smith.
But the team that Mahomes took over, and the time behind AS is credited toward his growth. They also made the playoffs with AS.

My point is, had Haskins been a good qb pick, maybe we would be in a different place, but now we are stuck in a qb quagmire. None of that is Alex Smith's fault. The games he played, our team had measurably better success.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:03 PM   #34
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,118
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
offensive production drop off maybe, better record definitely.
But again a QB W/L record is totally flawed. DeShawn Watson's W/L record this year was 4-12.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #35
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,118
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
But the team that Mahomes took over, and the time behind AS is credited toward his growth. They also made the playoffs with AS.

My point is, had Haskins been a good qb pick, maybe we would be in a different place, but now we are stuck in a qb quagmire. None of that is Alex Smith's fault. The games he played, our team had measurably better success.
Mahomes was going to be a great player. With or w/out Smith.

Also I am not knocking him. Solid guy as it gets, I just never thought much of him as a QB and would have never traded for him.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:16 AM   #36
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,401
Re: Alex Smith Cut

I'd say looking at the stats alone is misleading. Were we likely to be consistent playoff contenders with Smith? Possibly and maybe likely. Would be be SB contenders and even winners? Unlikely.

What he brought were intangibles like leadership and improving the guys around him. What he didn't do was sling the ball around and light up the scoreboard. As a rule he wasn't going to make catastrophic mistakes and dig us into holes, but likewise he wasn't likely to dig us out of holes others put us in. He was a good bridge QB, and our problem is we didn't give him a Mahomes to learn from him and be the other side o the bridge.

Listening to Heinicke, you get the distinct impression he made the other QB's better (or at least feel better about themselves), the exception being DH. And DH could probably come out of a meeting with Joe Montana or Tom Brady and gain nothing from it.

We need to find a franchise level QB with those intangibles, but with the tools and capability to go to the next level. Better football minds can decide who that is.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #37
JackLord
Special Teams
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 119
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I'd say looking at the stats alone is misleading. Were we likely to be consistent playoff contenders with Smith? Possibly and maybe likely. Would be be SB contenders and even winners? Unlikely.

What he brought were intangibles like leadership and improving the guys around him. What he didn't do was sling the ball around and light up the scoreboard. As a rule he wasn't going to make catastrophic mistakes and dig us into holes, but likewise he wasn't likely to dig us out of holes others put us in. He was a good bridge QB, and our problem is we didn't give him a Mahomes to learn from him and be the other side o the bridge.

Listening to Heinicke, you get the distinct impression he made the other QB's better (or at least feel better about themselves), the exception being DH. And DH could probably come out of a meeting with Joe Montana or Tom Brady and gain nothing from it.

We need to find a franchise level QB with those intangibles, but with the tools and capability to go to the next level. Better football minds can decide who that is.
Great post. Mahomes said as much about Alex's mentorship. Alex is a class act and exemplifies "team player" in its purest sense.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 19,852
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
But again a QB W/L record is totally flawed. DeShawn Watson's W/L record this year was 4-12.
The difference, and the reason 11-4 means something tied to AS is because in 2 separate seasons, our team had 5 + wins with him starting qb, and in those SAME SEASONS we were 3-14 with out him. The reason the W/L record is significant is because the team and coaching around AS didn't significantly improve mid season to make his play insignificant, instead his play significantly impacted the play of the rest of the team to make the outcomes better.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 19,852
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Exactly. The question is did we hire those football minds? Our two GMs both got QB wrong consistently throughout their career. Hope they get it right though and draft a franchise QB.
Our current staff brought Stafford, Newton, and PManning to their respective teams. How is that consistently getting it wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #40
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 18,355
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Our current staff brought Stafford, Newton, and PManning to their respective teams. How is that consistently getting it wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
What draft pick did they have?
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #41
MissouriSkin
Special Teams
 
MissouriSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 322
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
What draft pick did they have?
What difference does that make? People have gotten it wrong with the first pick too since thatís what youíre implying. Ever heard of JaMarcus Russell? People have gotten all sorts of picks wrong....Ryan Leaf...Akili Smith....Johnny Manziel....Brady Quinn.....
__________________
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
MissouriSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 19,852
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
What draft pick did they have?
Yes i get that, but the statement I quoted claimed that Hurney and Mayhew got the qb position "consistently wrong". DS has gotten the qb position "consistently wrong " regardless of the draft pick used. My point was, when given the chance our 2 GMs and new vp of pro personnel clearly did NOT get the qb position wrong. Does that guarantee that, given FA options and our draft position, they will get it right- no, but it does mean they all know what qualities make up an nfl qb.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #43
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 48
Posts: 96,429
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Official

Washington releases Alex Smith
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #44
OnceWeWereKings
Impact Rookie
 
OnceWeWereKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 910
Re: Alex Smith Cut

So long, Alex...and thanks for all the fish.
__________________
To beer, or not to beer? That is the ques.....oh, look...a beer.
OnceWeWereKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #45
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 18,355
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
What difference does that make? People have gotten it wrong with the first pick too since thatís what youíre implying. Ever heard of JaMarcus Russell? People have gotten all sorts of picks wrong....Ryan Leaf...Akili Smith....Johnny Manziel....Brady Quinn.....
It makes all the difference when you're drafting with the top two pick vs. the top 19th pick.

It literally makes all the difference in the world. Not saying Rivera can't scout, just saying the staff's job is easier because out of all draft eligible players, you can eliminate the clear-cut #1 pick and trust your instincts. When you're at 19 and you have no idea how the 18 in front of you are gonna go it can be a game of chance. You have no idea if the guy you want is going to be on the board when you pick.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.21636 seconds with 12 queries