Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

RIP Vince Promuto

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
JackLord
Special Teams

RIP Vince Promuto

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-dies-at-82/

Before my time. Probably before everyone's time here. But Vince was a member of the Ring of Fame and by all accounts a great Redskin as well as a great human being. Kept Sonny from getting his clock rung.

Years and years ago, I sent him a card and received it back signed within a week.

RIP Vince. HTTR!
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: RIP Vince Promuto

Piece of crap article says he was a member of the "Washington Football Team".

No, he was a WASHINGTON REDSKIN.

Anyways, before my time too...but RIP, legend.

Really cool that you have his autograph. I have a few cards from Gibbs that I got the same way when I was a kid...one football, one NASCAR.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

I had the pleasure of meeting Vince Promuto in New Orleans a few years after hurricane Katrina. He was in town for business and was out at a local watering hole with some mutual associates who were originally from New Jersey and knew I was a big Redskins fan and introduced us.
Mr Promuto was a class act, a gentleman, so easygoing and generous with his time and shared a few Redskins stories, a few of Vince Lombardi as his head coach.
I didn’t realize I was going to meet him that day, and coming to the bar after work for happy hour I didn’t have any Redskins paraphernalia on me. I hauled ass home and back and just caught Vince after he paid his bar bill and was saying his goodbyes. I sheepishly asked him to sign my hat, and he graciously did so. A week later my buddy brought me an autographed card Vince had mailed him and asked him to give to me. What a guy.

Rest In Peace, sir.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Vince Promuto in New Orleans a few years after hurricane Katrina. He was in town for business and was out at a local watering hole with some mutual associates who were originally from New Jersey and knew I was a big Redskins fan and introduced us.
Mr Promuto was a class act, a gentleman, so easygoing and generous with his time and shared a few Redskins stories, a few of Vince Lombardi as his head coach.
I didn’t realize I was going to meet him that day, and coming to the bar after work for happy hour I didn’t have any Redskins paraphernalia on me. I hauled ass home and back and just caught Vince after he paid his bar bill and was saying his goodbyes. I sheepishly asked him to sign my hat, and he graciously did so. A week later my buddy brought me an autographed card Vince had mailed him and asked him to give to me. What a guy.

Rest In Peace, sir.
Damn, great story. Bumping into a redskin legend at a bar would be a dream.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post

Rest In Peace, sir.
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing that.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Damn, great story. Bumping into a redskin legend at a bar would be a dream.
I grew up around Dulles airport where the original Park used to be. Saw them all the time. Pushed a car out of the snow once with Theismann and Riggins. Worked at Dulles airport one summer in college and saw the whole team come through at some point. Joe Jacoby is B. I. G.