WFT Vs Chargers Pre Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #76
MTK
\m/

Re: WFT Vs Chargers Pre Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think, and I know this is COMPLETELY unproven, that TE Reyes will be huge in run blocking. In this tweet by Nicki Jhabvala, he drove his guy across the field like the guy was a blocking sled.

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/st...51108956131336
Hopefully he's improved in that area, I recall some clips of him from the first preseason game totally whiffing on blocks out there.

Advertisements
Old 09-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #77
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Just having a full season under his belt should help Gibson be a better all around back this year.
Debbie fucking Downer here ..

Gibson right now is at his ceiling. He can catch the ball, he can turn up field to maximize his "anticipated" or "expected" yards but doesnt have that make you miss or break tackle ability to make a 5 yard play a 20 yarder.

hes good on screens or leaking out of the backfield but he def cant run in between the tackles and makes defending the run easy in that regard. Our run game is predictable and unproductive.

Hes decent. If a play should get 5 yards, hell get you 5-6 yards. If you can get him out in space with blockers, hes good. But so is McKissic and a bunch of other guys.

We had this discussion last year and advanced stats and rankings had me wrong in saying he doesnt get a lot of extra yards above any given plays expected yardage .. but I stand by my opinion.

hes a good player, his skill set matches what Turner is looking for but he cant run in between tackles and if hes in on 3rd and long its not to pass pro but to be an outlet for a short pass short of the sticks.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #78
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Debbie fucking Downer here ..

Gibson right now is at his ceiling. He can catch the ball, he can turn up field to maximize his "anticipated" or "expected" yards but doesnt have that make you miss or break tackle ability to make a 5 yard play a 20 yarder.

hes good on screens or leaking out of the backfield but he def cant run in between the tackles and defending easy in that regard.

Hes decent. If a play should get 5 yards, hell get you 5-6 yards. If you can get him out in space with blockers, hes good. But so is McKissic and a bunch of other guys.

We had this discussion last year and advanced stats and rankings had me wrong in saying he doesnt get a lot of extra yards above any given plays expected yardage .. but I stand by my opinion.

hes a good player, his skill set matches what Turner is looking for but he cant run in between tackles and if hes in on 3rd and long its not to pass pro but to be an outlet for a short pass short of the sticks.
I know you're not a fan, but I think we could see big things from him this year.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #79
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Glass half empty take

LT = worse. Leno is subpar and Lucas played above his expected level last year. Last year we got kinda lucky with LT play. It wasnt great but it was better than it should have been, below avg. This year we dont get lucky and get what we paid for = below avg LT play.

LG = Flowers/Wes are decent, C type players. I guess this position upgrades bc we have 2 decent locked-in options and dont waste game trying Martin or Charles and other musicla chairs.

C = Roullier is going to Roullier, hopefully he stays healthy

RG = Scherff is going to Scherff, hopefully he stays healthy

RT = rookie Cosmi hopefully is comparable to Moses, perhaps Cosmi may even be a better run blocker. I do think Cosmi has more upside but hes a rookie and Moses gave like B- level play last year .. hopefully we get B- play this year.

Thomas is a willing blocker but is not nasty, woudlnt trust him to set the edge on a power run.

Patterson? We will see what he brings, he does seem more north south vs Gibson and seems to find a hole and fall forward though. I assume Patterson isnt on this team in a year or 2.
I prefer the glass half full approach

The running game will be fine, probably better than most expect.

LT may be a wash, but I don't see how you can say it's worse. To me, the most important thing done this offseason was to improve the depth on the O-line. You can argue Cosmi isn't an upgrade, and Leno is worse than what we had last year. I don't agree, but what I do know is - someone, likely multiple players on the O-line, will get hurt. The difference this year, is there is a quality backup waiting to be the next man up.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #80
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Honestly, I will be pretty surprised if Gibson doesn't have a "break out" year this year, if he stays healthy.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #81
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I prefer the glass half full approach

The running game will be fine, probably better than most expect.

LT may be a wash, but I don't see how you can say it's worse. To me, the most important thing done this offseason was to improve the depth on the O-line. You can argue Cosmi isn't an upgrade, and Leno is worse than what we had last year. I don't agree, but what I do know is - someone, likely multiple players on the O-line, will get hurt. The difference this year, is there is a quality backup waiting to be the next man up.
Yes 100% agree there. You need 8 starting quality O lineman as all 8 will get starts throughout a season. You dont need 8 good-great players .. but having wes, Lucas and Charles is huge bc their number will be called.

imo run game, a true inside and outside run game, remains a problem until they show otherwise.

im excited lets go
Old 09-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #82
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Honestly, I will be pretty surprised if Gibson doesn't have a "break out" year this year, if he stays healthy.
No doubt, if healthy I think he can take the next step and be a true stud RB. He had practically no experience playing RB before last year and still shined as a rookie.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #83
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Gibson production caught the league by surprise. He is still learning the position..and while he isn’t your prototypical between the tackles guy, he is shifty in the hole.

My biggest concern is can he stay healthy? I’d like more of a rotation with Patterson to keep him fresh. 17 games is no joke.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #84
SunnySide
Playmaker

Have we talked at all about the Chargers?

is Derwin James healthy? is Keenan Allen still a weapon? Hunter Henry is gone. Leno or Cosmi vs Bosa doesnt look good on paper.

Dont they have a new coach named Duece Staley? Is that the RB from the eagles? No way he flew up the coaching charts that fast.

Were over here playing with our new toys, dreaming of what if scenarios ... meanwhile we are underdogs in our season opener.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #85
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think this team has the potential to be something special. Offense, Defense and Special teams. This game is their chance to show it in front of a home crowd. LA Chargers fans aren't going to flood this stadium, so it's definitely ripe for a true home field advantage.

The key is, the Team has to do it. They have to step on that field ready to blow the Chargers away.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #86
MTK
\m/

Quote:

is Derwin James healthy? is Keenan Allen still a weapon? Hunter Henry is gone. Leno or Cosmi vs Bosa doesnt look good on paper.

Dont they have a new coach named Duece Staley? Is that the RB from the eagles? No way he flew up the coaching charts that fast.

Were over here playing with our new toys, dreaming of what if scenarios ... meanwhile we are underdogs in our season opener.
WFT is giving a point on most sites I'm seeing.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #87
SunnySide
Playmaker

When Washington Has The Ball (2020)

The Football Team’s offense averaged 6.3 yards per pass attempt last year (29th in NFL). The Chargers’ defense allowed 6.8 yards per passing play (seventh).
Washington averaged 317.3 yards per game to rank 30th in the NFL a season ago. They take on a Los Angeles defense that ranked 10th, allowing 343.4 yards per game last year.
The Football Team averaged 4.8 yards per play last year (31st in the NFL), and the Chargers gave up 5.5 per play (12th).
Los Angeles gave up 232.2 passing yards per game last year (fifth in the league). Washington accumulated 237.3 (24th).

When The Chargers Have The Ball (2020)

The Chargers were 30th in the NFL averaging 3.8 yards per carry last year. The Football Team gave up 4.2 per rushing attempt (10th).
Washington’s defense last year was the fourth-best in the NFL allowing 0.33 points per play. Los Angeles had the 23rd-ranked offense in the league in points per play (0.34).
The Chargers averaged 5.4 yards per play last season (20th in the NFL), while the Football Team gave up 4.9 per play (second).
Washington allowed opponents to score on 53.5% of their red-zone trips last season (fourth in the league). Los Angeles’ offense had a 57.1% red-zone percentage (21st).

https://www.thelines.com/chargers-wa...w-week-1-2021/

youre right spread is WAS (-1)

------------------

Chargers had a decent draft. 1st round took OT Slater and CB Samuel in the 2nd round. I read Slater is coming along and that Samuels has looked good.

Chase should win the battle vs Slater. They faced each other twice in college, Chase had 0 sacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQKJB1qqkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqITvT-Gns

^ Joey Bosa talking Chase Young, standard compliments

Chargers PR team on youtube is on point, they got a ton of videos and press conf for this week 1 matchup
Old 09-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #88
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I think we are now 1 point favorites.

There isn't much to talk about with the Chargers, not because there aren't a lot of great questions, but because everything about them is new.

New HC (Brandon-not Deuce- Staley 1yr DC for the Rams last year, no clue how he will be as a HC, but he is the latest media tagged wunderkind) - his key line to me that makes me think he might not work out, is he said his joint practices are as hard as the preseason games. Sorry, but an entirely new OLine needs game action in my opinion, not scripted or limited joint practices.
His first NFL coaching gig was in 2017 as the Linebackers Coach for the Chicago Bears. 3 years total NFL coaching experience, and Eric Bieniemy could not land a HC job.

Bosa will have his moments, but hopefully Chase and Sweat could prep our line somewhat.

Derwin James return is the biggest factor for their defense. Our offense will have to be better than in the preseason, but I think we can mix it up at all 3 levels with Fitzpatrick, AG, Thomas, Brown and of course McClauren.

Finally Herbert - he was the about the 10th best passer under pressure (I think Fitz was 2nd?) but not under pressure he was actually worse.

Great test for both teams. We both finished 7-9, but 7-9 in the NFC East was not the same as 7-9 in the AFC West.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #89
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

This Chargers team is no joke, the defense has a few damn good players.. Bosa and James lead the way but overall its a good unit. This will be a dogfight for sure
Old 09-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #90
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

John Keim pointed this out and it’s a nice silver lining…while Samuels is out, no one else on injury report. That’s a big win coming out of preseason

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote