Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post draft breakdown

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is your way too early draft grade for the '21 WFT class?
A 14 23.33%
B 32 53.33%
C 8 13.33%
D 5 8.33%
F 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #46
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Post draft breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't see it mentioned, apparently the Skins wanted to get the extra picks under the rookie draft cap or some sort of salary cap vs putting out alot of spending on the undrafted pool. Also why we only have one undrafted FA right now. Not sure how the numbers really work on that, but that was the explanation given by Rivera. Saw this in a Finlay tweet.

Interesting nugget from Rivera - Washington made late round trade to acquire more picks so they could avoid having to pay more $$ for undrafted rookie free agents. WFT has only signed 1 UDFA thus far, and the team is bringing in more free agents this week, not just rookies

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'm going to light the match, keep an eye on Luke Keuchly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-the-panthers/

Don't rule it out

Advertisements
Old 05-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #47
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Every year it seems like the same shit. People bitching about draft picks, or where they were taken, or why someone didn't do their research.

My only question is if your talent evaluation skills are better than theirs, why are you online complaining on a forum instead of getting paid to tell coaches your opinion.

3 years from now if any of these players turn into quality pros nobody will give two shits about where they were drafted or what price was paid.
Agreed. I guess they'd rather rant and play online GM. I don't know why those types believe their opinion, and analysis has been validated by anyone other than themselves.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #48
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Final Draft Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post

NEED NOT BPA
This was a need draft start to finish. I believe we stayed true to our board up to point, picking one of the highest ranked players, but we clearly pigeonholed need. This became egregious rounds 4,5, and 6, when FAR more talented and proven players were still on the board and we passed them.
Would you please provide the names of the "FAR more talented and proven" players you think we passed on because we drafted for need? I don't dispute that we drafted for need but I wonder what you think we actually lost out on by doing so. I think the board might be interested in discussing specific players in the context of the need versus BPA approach to drafting by the WFT. I know I would. Thanks!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #49
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Already seeing chatter that Vikings fans think Mond could start over Cousins?! Get the F outta here, so dumb
Mond is terrible

Did you see/hear RG3 comments about Cousins/Mond QB situation? RG3 is a troll now.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #50
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I love the concept that trading a 5th round pick is mortgaging our future. Particularly when one of the two resulting picks likely will be on the team for 8-10 years if NFL position history holds true.

Mortgaging picks at a lesser level than shipping off #1s is still mortgaging the future. The principle still holds, and you can sign a LS off the street. Doesn't make our draft an F, but still not a smart long term move.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #51
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Mond is terrible

Did you see/hear RG3 comments about Cousins/Mond QB situation? RG3 is a troll now.
Bobby is a joke
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #52
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Bobby is a joke
Yeah pretty bold talk from a guy who isn’t in the league right now. 🤦*♂️
Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #53
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
2021 Draft Grade - B-

Let's suppose Smith was GM. He would have told entire scouting staff, there are hundreds of QBs in North America entering the draft or exiting college this year. Somewhere right now, there is one QB with upside. I don't care if he's playing in a bush league on the backside of the moon or Mars, find him.
I think you are so off with almost all of your analysis with this draft, I don't even know where to begin. I'll just take this point.

So you want your GM to tell your entire scouting staff to move heaven and earth trying to find the QB of the future - and essentially force the pick of a QB, "some QB with upside" ... and that is a long term approach? No. That is wasting scouts' precious time at the expense of improving the other 95% of the roster, and likely a waste of a pick.

I'm sure they scouted QBs, but I'm glad that's not the only position they scouted, and they didn't just draft one to draft one.

RR and company have said it a million times, about taking a measured approach, not forcing anything, not mortgaging the future, etc. They have proven that through free agency, and I see nothing that changed that with this draft.

Did they draft needs? Of course they did. Every team did. That's why when it's a team's turn to draft, the analysts talk about what that team NEEDS, not who is their best player on the board.

For me, it's just nice to have grown men in charge for a change.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think you are so off with almost all of your analysis with this draft, I don't even know where to begin. I'll just take this point.

So you want your GM to tell your entire scouting staff to move heaven and earth trying to find the QB of the future - and essentially force the pick of a QB, "some QB with upside" ... and that is a long term approach? No. That is wasting scouts' precious time at the expense of improving the other 95% of the roster, and likely a waste of a pick.

I'm sure they scouted QBs, but I'm glad that's not the only position they scouted, and they didn't just draft one to draft one.

RR and company have said it a million times, about taking a measured approach, not forcing anything, not mortgaging the future, etc. They have proven that through free agency, and I see nothing that changed that with this draft.

Did they draft needs? Of course they did. Every team did. That's why when it's a team's turn to draft, the analysts talk about what that team NEEDS, not who is their best player on the board.

For me, it's just nice to have grown men in charge for a change.
Well said!

Funny thing is Atlanta (where Smith went) also didnt draft a qb.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #55
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm going to light the match, keep an eye on Luke Keuchly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-the-panthers/

Don't rule it out
He needs to stay retired similar to why it was good that Jordan Reed retired. He doesn't need to get any more concussions.

That being said, if he's going to play again, um, yes please.

Davis, Kuechly, Holcomb, would be very nice.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #56
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I actually like the longsnapper pick now. Fits in with what he said, that they didn't want to fight over UDFA's. And we needed a LS. It wasn't an option to not get one.

You can always recoup a pick, by trading down the next year. The team has 4 rounds of picks before the 5th, if they want to get that pick back.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #57
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Mond is terrible

I didnt see it .. got a link?

edit --just saw it .. go do a talking tour of your morals and convictions Mr. Griffin, do mention the leaving your pregnant wife part.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #58
calia
Playmaker

RGIII is trolling the guy he lost his job to when he’s out of the league and that guy is still making bank. That kinda says it all, doesn’t it? All in for 2021 (podcasting), eh RG? Sheesh.

What a massive disappointment he was - his rookie year, I kept wondering whether it was too good to be true. And it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #59
Number44
Special Teams

Referring to the trade of a 2022 5th round pick for a 2021 6th plus a 2021 7th as "mortgaging the future" is beyond ridiculous. Sorry, it just is. Pretending to be more knowledgeable about low-round draft picks than WFT's team of professionals just plain makes a poster look silly, especially if he chooses to be absurdly verbose about it. Hey, we all had players that we would have liked to see the WFT draft, and it is fun to discuss, but most of us recognize that RR and company know far, far more than we do, and understand that they have looked at all of these players deeply and have reasons behind their decisions.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Imagine thinking a 5th round pick and a selection of a 6th round LS would be considered “mortgaging the future” after a previous regime of Dan and Bruce completely botching multiple high round draft trades and having the unawareness to get value for Cousins/Trent

Scalper we have come a long long way…just a question, would you have been satisfied trading multiple first round picks as well as a couple mid round to pick up Fields?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote