Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: A Dream Deferred

A Dream Deferred
Nov. 19, 2008

Dallas 14, Washington 10

I wasn't much fun to be around Sunday night.

I went into the Dallas rematch with the mindset this game, bottom line, would finally tell me what kind of team we have in the 2008 Redskins. Were they closer to the team we saw watched thump the Cowboys and Eagles early in the year, or the team we’ve since watched slowly grind to an offensive halt?

The answer was both clear and gut-wrenching.

Oh, I know the Redskins could still bounce back and make a late playoff run. The early success certainly showed they’re capable of excellent football. But having had some fundamental shortcomings exposed the past few weeks, I’d not put money on it.

Doesn’t mean I’m not bullish on Jim Zorn and the future—I am. But, with apologies to George Allen, it doesn’t look like that future is now ...

CLICK HERE to read more

-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
A10sROCK
Impact Rookie

Re: Om Field: A Dream Deferred

Well written. The Redskins have a good team. Whether a good team can make the playoffs is going to be a matter of luck and us winning all our close games.

Our defense is very good and will continue to be there. However, until we solve the lack of a pass rush issue (in the off-season); our defense can not be elite.

Our OL has been regressing. Clinton Portis is the man and the best weapon we have. However, he can't do it alone. Jason Campbell is good, but to get to his top level [whatever that is] he will need excellent pass protection. Again, the OL is something that we will have to solve in the off-season.

Teams know how to play Zorn now. Either he opens it up [inviting INT, etc] or we will not be scoring too many points.

Again, nice writeup.
A10sROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
53Fan
Franchise Player

Very good read.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
-Om-
Special Teams

Appreciate the comments.

A10s, you pretty much summed it up. Only thing I'd add is relative to your last sentence, about Zorn. It's true the league quickly adapted to his initial gambit and found a weak spot to exploit (namely pass pro). Seems to me the thing to watch going forward now will be what he has in the way of answers and counter moves.

I know he said he was going to stay medium and not make big changes, and that's fine--there's much to be said for continuity and letting things coalesce in their natural progression. But based on what I think we know about the guy already, I'd also be surprised if he's not burning the midnight oil these days preparing some adaptations and evolutions. The man doesn't strike me as one to take defeat laying down.

Kinda hoping some of those tweaks might even be evident in the next couple of weeks even to the untrained eye.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
redskinjim
Special Teams

very disapointing loss but i have been a fan forever and if we make the playoffs anything can happen. you cant get down on the guys dallas played better than we did romo is better than jason everyone knows that!even with a broken finger
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote