Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #211
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Good lord no

Why? Imagine if he had a couple more weapons, namely a TE and another WR, and a better O line? Add a secondary with some semblance of NFL talent and a MLB. Alex Smith is far from the problem right now.
Allows you to draft a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round to actually groom for a year or two or three.
As far as him holding up for a full season well he has the same chance as any other QB. It isnt like he is injury prone. Id say he is the exact opposite after this amazing comeback. Almost any other human would be retired. He is not only playing but playing damn well. As well as can be expected with what he has around him.

Douche Snyder ruined my Sundays
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #212
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

I know Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder and brady a 6th ... but this organization has not shown the ability to identify certain traits of a player that fit their scheme to allow a 2nd or 3rd rounder to flourish.

if we go QB ... it has to be a top prospect QB imo. Our organization is not good enough to pull a Wilson out of a magical hat.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #213
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I know Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder and brady a 6th ... but this organization has not shown the ability to identify certain traits of a player that fit their scheme to allow a 2nd or 3rd rounder to flourish.

if we go QB ... it has to be a top prospect QB imo. Our organization is not good enough to pull a Wilson out of a magical hat.
Not so sure of that because Snyder has continuously gotten in the way when it comes to making QB decisions. So who really knows who the football guys in the building really wanted when they were instead forced to take Haskins.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #214
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Out of curiosity, what about the pre-Brady Patriots made you think they were a "good enough" organization to do that? They were a flat out bad team for years, as I recall. Kyle Smith has shown an eye to find talent with the McLaurin and Gibson picks, IMO. Do you think that eye is limited to non-quarterbacks?
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #215
SunnySide
Playmaker

I hear that and I do like Kyle Smith .. but as a general rule, Id only take a QB, LT or pass rusher with a top 10 pick. Once you get out of that range, I think the prospects of landing a fraqchise QB, LT or pass rusher go down significantly.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. We are stupid until we show otherwise imo. Lets not get cute, not yet anyways.

------------------

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/t...office-roster/

^^ looking at our organizational chart ... that seems like a lot more college scouts on staff than I remember in years past. If true thats great, because weve always had poorly staffed/funded scouting imo.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #216
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
Out of curiosity, what about the pre-Brady Patriots made you think they were a "good enough" organization to do that? They were a flat out bad team for years, as I recall. Kyle Smith has shown an eye to find talent with the McLaurin and Gibson picks, IMO. Do you think that eye is limited to non-quarterbacks?
I honestly dont know. I like Kyle Smith, like all of us do. McLaurin was a great pick, Gibson im not sold on yet.

Just as a general rule, I think the percentage of a QB becoming a franchise Qb drops significantly after the top 5-10 picks or so. And if a Qb taken in the 2nd or 3rd does work out, teams with good FO and long term coaching staffs on the same page will have a higher success rate vs teams that dont.

its not some hot take here .... a Qb taken top 5 has a much better chance vs a guy dropping to the 2nd or 3d round.

If we can land a top tier QB in 2021, great. if we cant, hopefully we stay in the top 8 so we can add a stud at a position of need.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #217
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd put it this way, if AS can last the rest of the season with no significant setbacks and wants to play next year, why shove him out the door automatically? Let him compete with whoever in camp.

From the sound of it, Haskins is persona non grata, so I doubt he'll be on the roster much longer. KA isn't the solution, we don't know if he'll come back from the injury OK and he's an FA. If Montez was anything approaching starter material he wouldn't be on the PS.

And if we draft a QB high unless he comes out like a rocket in camp, I see nothing wrong with doing a Fitz/Tua with Smith. Yes Tua was hurt but he also needed to acclimatise. Half a season on the bench hasn't hurt him by the look of it.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #218
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I'd put it this way, if AS can last the rest of the season with no significant setbacks and wants to play next year, why shove him out the door automatically? Let him compete with whoever in camp.

From the sound of it, Haskins is persona non grata, so I doubt he'll be on the roster much longer. KA isn't the solution, we don't know if he'll come back from the injury OK and he's an FA. If Montez was anything approaching starter material he wouldn't be on the PS.

And if we draft a QB high unless he comes out like a rocket in camp, I see nothing wrong with doing a Fitz/Tua with Smith. Yes Tua was hurt but he also needed to acclimatise. Half a season on the bench hasn't hurt him by the look of it.
I don't have a problem letting AS finish out his contract here but under no circumstances should they resign him.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #219
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I don't have any problem w/ Smith playing beyond this year. But the priority is to draft a QB. Problem is we have unexpected competition from a team like Dallas and maybe even Denver. Then you throw in the Jags, Jets.. I think the Giants stick w/ Jones.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:18 AM   #220
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Our competition for a QB in the first few picks is Jets & Jags. Chargers and Cowboys (resign Dak) won't be chasing QB's nor will Miami with the Texans pick. Denver are currently projected at 11 so the first 2 or 3 top QB's will likely be gone before they pick, and even if they drop down a few slots, that doesn't change.

Big question for us is whether we take BPA or trade down. I wouldn't be averse to seeing us move down for more capital if the top 2 QB's are gone. If we maintain position with the 3rd pick, then entirely possible that Lawrence and Fields will be gone and I think 3 is high for Lance and I'm not convinced about him and Fields anyway. Depends on Wilson's projected position but if he's likely bottom half of the 1st round, then I'd risk dropping down for more picks if we don't like the BPA; Sewell or Surtain.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #221
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

There's 7 more games to go. Let's not get too excited about a top 3-5 pick just yet. They could still finish the season with 6-7 wins.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #222
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
There's 7 more games to go. Let's not get too excited about a top 3-5 pick just yet. They could still finish the season with 6-7 wins.
Possible but doubtful. But my point was that QB hungry teams are going to be in the top 3-5 or #10 or lower, and unlikely to leapfrog us in the order, barring trades. I actually see the Bolts winning a couple more games and dropping down the order, and that immediately pushes the Phins, Bengals and Giants closer to us, and I don't see any of them going QB. Maybe the Panthers or Falcons, but I'd say they have more chance of wins dropping them lower. Denver maybe then pose a problem.

I just don't see us winning more than 2 more games, and that likely won't move us below #3 still.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #223
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Bengals = Toss up
Dallas = Toss up if Dalton plays
Pitt = Loss
SF = Loss
SEA- Loss
Panthers - Loss
Eagles - Toss up

I see 3 at the most but prob just 2.

Top 5 pick almost a lock
Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #224
MTK
\m/

The only losses that I would lock up right now would be Pitt and Sea. I'd say the rest are fair game.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #225
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd put the Bengals and Panthers in the probable loss column, and SF may have Jimmy G back and be regrouped. Eagles and Cowboys definitely winnable and divisional games are always tough to predict, but I don't see more than 2 wins unless miracles start happening. Like us playing properly for a full 60 minutes!