Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Perspective: A Few Things We Know

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: Perspective: A Few Things We Know

The fact of the matter is - the cold hard fact, unfortunately - with every loss, Joe Gibbs' coaching will be called into question. Whether it's true or not, that's the perception that has emerged over the past 4 years, and like I said, unfortunately, it will stick.

This team has no choice but to make the playoffs.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
Optimism at it's prime! Here it is, WE ARE A LOUSY FOOTBALL TEAM! The sooner most get this through their heads, the easier it will be to stomach all the loses we have coming over the second half of the season. So long as Gibbs is running things we will always find a way to lose.
I think if I felt the team had no hope until Gibbs left I wouldn't waste mine (or anyone else's time) posting on this site until he left
Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
The fact of the matter is - the cold hard fact, unfortunately - with every loss, Joe Gibbs' coaching will be called into question. Whether it's true or not, that's the perception that has emerged over the past 4 years, and like I said, unfortunately, it will stick.

This team has no choice but to make the playoffs.
And with every win, it's something to the effect of "Yeah well we won by 6, should have won by 16. We won in spite of Gibbs."

I really really want him to give a big FU to the fans when he leaves. "You kept saying for two decades 'if ony we had Gibbs' Well guess what? I came back and from day one all you people did was bitch and moan. Could I have done better? Of course I could have. But I've taken the blame for everything even when I could have and probably should have thrown others under the bus. Enough is enough. Go bitch and moan about someone else"

I'd pay money to see that.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Optimism at it's prime! Here it is, WE ARE A LOUSY FOOTBALL TEAM! The sooner most get this through their heads, the easier it will be to stomach all the loses we have coming over the second half of the season. So long as Gibbs is running things we will always find a way to lose.
We are not a lousy team or a great one, but somewhere in between. Why is it that so many members of this site think that if they will be more persuasive when they go to one extreme or the other? IMO, the best posters on this site are the unemotional ones who don't use superlatives in every sentence.

By the way, "it's" means "it is."
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think if I felt the team had no hope until Gibbs left I wouldn't waste mine (or anyone else's time) posting on this site until he left
I would say to that person if you don't understand that this team is lousy under Gibbs, you might want to rethink your posts, or abstain all together until you do.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #21
irish
Playmaker

While I do think the Skins could make the playoffs (with lots of help from others) I think the chance of hosting a playoff game are zero.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

I agree with the identity stuff. I think game plans and scheming are of the utmost importance but the feeling I get from our team and coaching staff is that we haven't decided how we want to win games. We're content to let the other team's strengths and weaknesses dictate to us far too much. We need to decide exactly what it is that we do and then go about perfecting it so tahat it works against everyone.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #23
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
While I do think the Skins could make the playoffs (with lots of help from others) I think the chance of hosting a playoff game are zero.
I respect your opinion. But if you indeed believe they'll somehow make it to the playoffs, the possibilty of them hosting a game is certainly higher, much higher than zero.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #24
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
We are not a lousy team or a great one, but somewhere in between. Why is it that so many members of this site think that if they will be more persuasive when they go to one extreme or the other? IMO, the best posters on this site are the unemotional ones who don't use superlatives in every sentence.

By the way, "it's" means "it is."
The ones that really don't have an opinion, the lukewarm posters, the will get'em next week crew, the all is well it's just a matter of time Guy's, the posters who can't handle controversy, the cheerleaders?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #25
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
And with every win, it's something to the effect of "Yeah well we won by 6, should have won by 16. We won in spite of Gibbs."

I really really want him to give a big FU to the fans when he leaves. "You kept saying for two decades 'if ony we had Gibbs' Well guess what? I came back and from day one all you people did was bitch and moan. Could I have done better? Of course I could have. But I've taken the blame for everything even when I could have and probably should have thrown others under the bus. Enough is enough. Go bitch and moan about someone else"

I'd pay money to see that.
Its not as though Gibbs personally reads these threads and takes offense to the whining. Aspirational assumption as a moderator of this site, but ultimately, incorrect.

Nor for that matter does he read Tom Boswell's columns. He probably does have a finger on the pulse of the fans and senses a lot of disappointed fans, but still largely sees a group that holds him in high esteem.

I'd pay money to see a reporter rip him at a post-game press conf for a change.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post
Its not as though Gibbs personally reads these threads and takes offense to the whining. Aspirational assumption as a moderator of this site, but ultimately, incorrect.

Nor for that matter does he read Tom Boswell's columns. He probably does have a finger on the pulse of the fans and senses a lot of disappointed fans, but still largely sees a group that holds him in high esteem.

I'd pay money to see a reporter rip him at a post-game press conf for a change.
I know for a fact he's much more aware of what people say about him on blogs and fan sites than he would let on.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
The ones that really don't have an opinion, the lukewarm posters, the will get'em next week crew, the all is well it's just a matter of time Guy's, the posters who can't handle controversy, the cheerleaders?
Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, you don't need to use superlatives (e.g., best, worst, lowest, highest) to state an opinion. You should be able to recognize the good and bad aspects of a team without being labeled a waffler. But, I guess people who like things put in black and white terms think that anyone who sees multiple sides of an issue is a "flip-flopper." I know a lot of people who see things that way........they just all happen to be in middle school.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #28
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, you don't need to use superlatives (e.g., best, worst, lowest, highest) to state an opinion. You should be able to recognize the good and bad aspects of a team without being labeled a waffler. But, I guess people who like things put in black and white terms think that anyone who sees multiple sides of an issue is a "flip-flopper." I know a lot of people who see things that way........they just all happen to be in middle school.

It's funny how we haven't heard all the virtues of the Champ v. Portis trade lately.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
Lady Brave
The Starter

Quote:
I know for a fact he's much more aware of what people say about him on blogs and fan sites than he would let on.
I agree. I remember a while back people started creating avatars on other boards with Gibbs pissing on the dallas star. A person with connections to the team told them that Gibbs had seen it and hated it. How would he have known about it if he hadn't been exposed to it in some way?

As to your comment about Gibbs giving an FU to the fans, I was thinking the same thing last night. He seems to just be stuck in this "damned if you do and damned if you don't" mentality with some fans right now. He deserves better.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #30
Crazyhorse1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Uhhh... if Washington is a "lousy team" and they have still managed a 5-4 record through nine games, wouldn't that be a testament to Gibbs' coaching ability by coaching a "lousy team" to a winning record?
No. When one thinks of the Skins as a bad team, one thinks of playcalling and disfunctional coaches. It's those aspects of the team that make it a lousy team.
Crazyhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote