Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
Giantone
Franchise Player
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,473
Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/washing...004122848.html


Report: Every member of the Washington ownership group not named Snyder wants out of the team

There are a total of three men in the Washington Redskins ownership group who aren’t in Dan Snyder’s immediate family. All three of them reportedly want out.

Washington minority owners Robert Rothman, Dwight Schar and Frederick W. Smith have hired an investment banking firm to conduct a search for potential buyers of their stake in the team, according to The Washington Post. The three businessmen reportedly hold 40 percent of the team.

Per the Post, the move is in large part due to the trio “not happy being a partner” with Snyder, who owns the majority of the team.

According to Forbes’ most recent team valuations, Washington ranks seventh in the NFL at a calculated $3.4 billion. That number has likely gone down in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The team also once ranked No. 1 in the Forbes valuations as recently as 2006, but has seen a noticeable fall from grace under Snyder.

Rothman is the chairman and CEO of private investment firm Black Diamond Capital, Schar is chairman of home-builder NVR Inc. and Smith is the president and CEO of FedEx. You might have heard how FedEx recently signaled it wants to see a name change for the team whose stadium naming rights it paid $205 million.

The only other minority owners of the team are Snyder’s mother, Arlette, and sister, Michele
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
The_Hangman_C_Hanburger
Camp Scrub
 
The_Hangman_C_Hanburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Thumbs up Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Quote:
Report: Every member of the Washington ownership group not named Snyder wants out of the team

There are a total of three men in the Washington Redskins ownership group who aren’t in Dan Snyder’s immediate family. All three of them reportedly want out.

Washington minority owners Robert Rothman, Dwight Schar and Frederick W. Smith have hired an investment banking firm to conduct a search for potential buyers of their stake in the team, according to The Washington Post. The three businessmen reportedly hold 40 percent of the team.

Per the Post, the move is in large part due to the trio “not happy being a partner” with Snyder, who owns the majority of the team.

According to Forbes’ most recent team valuations, Washington ranks seventh in the NFL at a calculated $3.4 billion. That number has likely gone down in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The team also once ranked No. 1 in the Forbes valuations as recently as 2006, but has seen a noticeable fall from grace under Snyder.

Rothman is the chairman and CEO of private investment firm Black Diamond Capital, Schar is chairman of home-builder NVR Inc. and Smith is the president and CEO of FedEx. You might have heard how FedEx recently signaled it wants to see a name change for the team whose stadium naming rights it paid $205 million.

The only other minority owners of the team are Snyder’s mother, Arlette, and sister, Michele
Good Riddance! Get the F out! Wonder if this is an opening for Joe Gibbs
The_Hangman_C_Hanburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
SolidSnake84
Playmaker
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 2,827
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hangman_C_Hanburger View Post
Good Riddance! Get the F out! Wonder if this is an opening for Joe Gibbs
Seeing Joe Gibbs back with this team in any capacity, especially when they aren't going to be called the Redskins anymore, would be beyond strange.

I remember there being some talk last year during the whole Bruce Allen debacle that Snyder was considering a move to eliminate some of the minority owners that he was not happy with. The debate at the time was if Snyder had the money to buy them out. I guess we will see soon enough.

Just when it seems like they were trying to right a sinking ship by firing Bruce Allen in bringing in Ron Rivera, maybe they are re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I now have the smallest shred of hope that Dan is forced to sell. It would be a historic new start for this organization, a new owner as well as a new name, and eventually new location...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 28,761
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Hopefully Dan sells the team too lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,843
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Interesting, curious as to why all 3 want out. It was all positive news this offseason up until Thursday, and all indications are that a name change is en route. Are we losing a ton of money? The timing is peculiar. Obv. Fred Smith is pro-name change, what about the other two?
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
skinsfan69
Gamebreaker
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,425
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Do we really care that the other owners want out? Means nothing. Dan isn't going anywhere.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
JackLord
Camp Scrub
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Obviously they are replaceable, but I am curious as to why and why now. It's almost as if they are leaving because the name will be changed.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
BaltimoreSkins
Playmaker
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 2,605
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
Obviously they are replaceable, but I am curious as to why and why now. It's almost as if they are leaving because the name will be changed.
The article talks about difficulty working with Dan, which is no surprise to us as fans after 20+ years of ownership. I think they see the name change as a perfect time to get out. This tells me that the name rebrand is going positively and they see an opportunity to a. get out of working with Dan and b. they can finally off load their shares knowing people would be willing to buy in now that the name won't be considered offensive. I imagine trying to convince a billionaire to buy into the Redskins knowing the backlash they would face is not an easy sell.

To me this is a negative spin article on what may be positive developments on the name change.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 5,454
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

It would seem that NFL teams, and the Redskins in particular, are not good investments at this time. I wonder if Snyder ever provided his minority owners with the returns they were expecting when they invested in the team. Now the value of the team is declining.

This and all the personal embarrassment they must have suffered over the years as Snyder displayed his incompetence while perpetrating one cheap, mean-spirited, and even hostile act after another against his own fanbase (a.k.a. customers).
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,355
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Why would Fred Smith have FedEx call for a name change only for him to sell because the team is changing the name? Makes no sense for him at least. They probably want out because Dan is a proven loser. Maybe it's time for Dan to self analyze and realize he's been the one constant here through all the losing.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Gamebreaker
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,425
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

The team sold for 800 million in 1999. It is now worth 3 billion? They have to deal w/ Snyder and his inability to manage, which has run the fanbase into the ground. They have no say or power in decision making. They're probably disgusted and embarrassed by what has happened and want to cash out. Problem is who would want to buy into the Redskins right now? The article says they hired a firm to do a search? So I guess that means Snyder has no say in who they sell to. Also when can we just put to bed Joe Gibbs? I swear we need to make some new memories around here... badly.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
jamf
Playmaker
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 4,008
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Or they fear they DS will fuck up the name change and lose a significant chunk of the fan base.

Rebranding to a fan base that lives in the glory years because the team has been shit for 28 seasons is going to be difficult and I have no doubt DS will shit the bed on this one.

Hopefully Nike can take the lead and get us something that will appeal to a younger fan base.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26,205
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Or they fear they DS will fuck up the name change and lose a significant chunk of the fan base.

Rebranding to a fan base that lives in the glory years because the team has been shit for 28 seasons is going to be difficult and I have no doubt DS will shit the bed on this one.

Hopefully Nike can take the lead and get us something that will appeal to a younger fan base.
Maybe Nike’s experience can play a role from there hands on business with names such as the concentration camps or sweat shops. Literally using slave labor
__________________
The League Done Messed Up
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,176
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

I don't know how the ownership split is structured and what the percentages are but is it possible that one person could buy out all the minority owners and become the majority owner?
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #15
SolidSnake84
Playmaker
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 2,827
Re: Minority Owners of the Skins Want Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I don't know how the ownership split is structured and what the percentages are but is it possible that one person could buy out all the minority owners and become the majority owner?
There was some speculation on this last year that Bruce Allen was going to buy some or all of the minority shares, and basically own the team along with Snyder. Now obviously it didn't come to fruition but it was being considered at one point, if you can believe the rumors.

The situation with the minority owners and the NFL forcing Snyder out seems to be gaining traction. This would be amazing if true. Getting Snyder out of this organization would probably be the best thing that ever happened in NFL history.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.27251 seconds with 10 queries