Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #46
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
A note on the Alex Smith situation since it has such a large impact on our salary cap.

Alex Smith is currently under contract for three more years. His $16M salary this year is guaranteed, and we still have yet to recognize $16.2M of his signing bonus on our cap. This means that if we cut him or trade him before June 1 of this year, it will actually hurt our cap and reduce our available cap space by ($10.8M).

If cut him with a post-June 1 designation, or trade him after June 1, then we save no money against the cap this season, our cap will be entirely unchanged. Because with that $16M salary guaranteed, we'd carry another $5.4M of the prorated bonus in 2020, putting his cap number right back at $21.4M in 2020, where it would be if he were still on the roster. But in 2021 he'd come off the cap and we'd save $13.6M.

The same thing would happen in 2021 if we kept him through this season, and then cut him prior to June 1 of 2021. Our cap space in 2021 would go up $13.6M, the same impact as if we let him go after June 1 of this year.

Due to all this, I'm calling it likely that he remains a Redskin through this season and serves as the backup to Dwayne Haskins. He'll likely continue serving as a mentor while he works his way back - and collects a paycheck.

Despite the likelihood that he sticks with us in 2020, we'll still have the available cap space I list in my original post above, and the Redskins will likely plan for 2021 to say goodbye to Alex, and plan their free agency this year to account for the fact that 2021 will have $13.6M more in cap space than it would with Alex on the roster.

In that sense, it would be wise to push some chips into the table in free agency this year. If Haskins continues to progress, the Redskins have two years to take advantage of the rookie contract window (2021 and 2022). In 2023 they'll either need to execute the 5th year option on Haskins or extend him long term.
I saw here and there rumors that the Bears could be interested in trading for Alex Smith.
Not that there any truth to it for now, but theoretically speaking, wouldn't that be a great option for us ?
Even for a 6th rounder I'd take it, saving 20M+ for the next 3 years is a great thing to do. Allowing our new coach to have a chance of bringing TW back as it seems he wants to (I have no opinion on what's best here), maybe extending Scherff instead of tagging him, and making some significant signings in FA really would help turn this team around.

Advertisements
Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #47
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I saw here and there rumors that the Bears could be interested in trading for Alex Smith.

Not that there any truth to it for now, but theoretically speaking, wouldn't that be a great option for us ?

Even for a 6th rounder I'd take it, saving 20M+ for the next 3 years is a great thing to do. Allowing our new coach to have a chance of bringing TW back as it seems he wants to (I have no opinion on what's best here), maybe extending Scherff instead of tagging him, and making some significant signings in FA really would help turn this team around.
I would be amazed if Snyder traded his new BFF

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #48
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

We need O line and a TE bad. I hope we sink alot of money into those areas. Chase Young, and Del Rio are going to be huge upgrades on D.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #49
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would be amazed if Snyder traded his new BFF

Good point... And dhat actually would be a good indication of wether or not Dan truly understood that he has to stay out of it.
If Ron Rivera decides to trade AS and is allowed to, that'd be an awesome sign.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #50
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Good point... And dhat actually would be a good indication of wether or not Dan truly understood that he has to stay out of it.
If Ron Rivera decides to trade AS and is allowed to, that'd be an awesome sign.
If someone offered anything for Alex, even a 7th rounder, I would take it in a heartbeat just to get his contract off the books.

You are right, it would be a serious test for Dan about whether to interfere with the team because it looks like Alex is resigned to another season of hanging out with Snyder watching the games, when he's not helping Haskins on the practice field.

Ron would have to convince Dan he can always hang out with Alex once Alex retires from his new team after next year. I think best case scenario is Alex hopes to be active someday as a backup qb, there is no team that would risk bringing him in as a starter.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #51
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If someone offered anything for Alex, even a 7th rounder, I would take it in a heartbeat just to get his contract off the books.

You are right, it would be a serious test for Dan about whether to interfere with the team because it looks like Alex is resigned to another season of hanging out with Snyder watching the games, when he's not helping Haskins on the practice field.

Ron would have to convince Dan he can always hang out with Alex once Alex retires from his new team after next year. I think best case scenario is Alex hopes to be active someday as a backup qb, there is no team that would risk bringing him in as a starter.
I understand that point, but, we'd probably have to trade Chicago picks to take on the contract and salary cap hit. Also, by all accounts, it was Alex Smith who motivated Haskins to stop being a lazy/entitled and start putting in the effort to be an NFL QB.

Lets not forget, his college teammates have all indicated that football is not his life or focus. He did not live and breathe football at Ohio State. Early on in the season, his redskins team mates were shocked he didn't know the playbook. He hadn't bothered to study it because he was butt-hurt that he wasn't the starter. He was chewing out his experienced veteran offensive linemen on the sidelines when he had not done anything to earn their respect himself by putting in the work. And lets not forget selfie-gate. Yes - It happened a while ago, but he recently retweeted it and referenced his love for the fans, so he does not seem to have matured much since then. Rivera benched Cam newton for not wearing a tie on the team plane - how do you think he'd have handled Dwayne missing the last snap to take a selfie? And finally, Haskins wasn't there for Riveras press conference. If Haskins wanted to demonstrate he was all-in on football and wanted to make a good impression, he would have adjusted his vacation plans to be there.

I'm not saying all this to say that Haskins is going to be a bust. I'm just highlighting that we shouldn't allow a couple of games where he showed improvement to make us think he'll automatically continue to develop, progress, and mature. By all appearances, he's going to have a completely new offensive coaching staff and new offensive system. I think it would really, really, help give Haskins the best chance to succeed and become the franchise QB Snyder drafted him to be if we keep his mentor - the guy who he himself credited with his turnaround - on the roster.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #52
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I understand that point, but, we'd probably have to trade Chicago picks to take on the contract and salary cap hit. Also, by all accounts, it was Alex Smith who motivated Haskins to stop being a lazy/entitled and start putting in the effort to be an NFL QB.

Lets not forget, his college teammates have all indicated that football is not his life or focus. He did not live and breathe football at Ohio State. Early on in the season, his redskins team mates were shocked he didn't know the playbook. He hadn't bothered to study it because he was butt-hurt that he wasn't the starter. He was chewing out his experienced veteran offensive linemen on the sidelines when he had not done anything to earn their respect himself by putting in the work. And lets not forget selfie-gate. Yes - It happened a while ago, but he recently retweeted it and referenced his love for the fans, so he does not seem to have matured much since then. Rivera benched Cam newton for not wearing a tie on the team plane - how do you think he'd have handled Dwayne missing the last snap to take a selfie? And finally, Haskins wasn't there for Riveras press conference. If Haskins wanted to demonstrate he was all-in on football and wanted to make a good impression, he would have adjusted his vacation plans to be there.

I'm not saying all this to say that Haskins is going to be a bust. I'm just highlighting that we shouldn't allow a couple of games where he showed improvement to make us think he'll automatically continue to develop, progress, and mature. By all appearances, he's going to have a completely new offensive coaching staff and new offensive system. I think it would really, really, help give Haskins the best chance to succeed and become the franchise QB Snyder drafted him to be if we keep his mentor - the guy who he himself credited with his turnaround - on the roster.
Yeah exactly, he's not gonna get a free pass with Rivera, so I don't think removing the Alex Smith effect would be that dangerous to his development. Even if we have to throw a late rounder in there, I like doing what's smart for the team, and all the tools for success to our new HC.
And if not having AS around him is an excuse to not put in the work even with a tough ass coach like RR, then it's a big enough issue to cause trouble anyway...
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Just to understand your two positions on AS and TW. It is better to keep a backup qb with a 20+million cap hit rather than trade him and clear cap because he is besties with the owner and might add something in the qb room, but its not ok to pay 12mil to a top NFL LT that can come in and guard your qb's blind side at a high level.

Something with that logic seems off to me

Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #54
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:

This is a great post. I am totally bought into the notion that Rivera is the new sheriff in town for everything. Haskins will have to earn everything going forward. If he doesn't put in the effort, he will be gone. Rivera will demand it, and this franchise needs it. Culture change folks. Rivera's relationship/handling of Haskins may be the most intriguing relationship, other than Snyder, going forward.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #55
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Just to understand your two positions on AS and TW. It is better to keep a backup qb with a 20+million cap hit rather than trade him and clear cap because he is besties with the owner and might add something in the qb room, but its not ok to pay 12mil to a top NFL LT that can come in and guard your qb's blind side at a high level.

Something with that logic seems off to me

For me, Alex Smith is a far better human being and team mate. He will have more to do with the long-term success of our franchise through his mentorship of Haskins. He has no trade value. In fact, we would probably have to trade valuable draft picks to a team just to take him.

Trent is a complete POS. He will want a new deal with more guaranteed money before playing and its financially stupid to give a player with his age, injury & suspension history, and off-field drama more money. Despite this, he actually has substantially more trade value than Smith.

There's an 8M cap difference between the two players. But trading away picks with smith means spending more in FA $ on players. On the flip side, trading Trent and receiving picks means we'd spend less in FA on other players, so that would eat into that 8M difference. Given everything else, I'll take Smith over Trent 100 times out of 100.

That said, in reality, one does not necessarily affect the other.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
For me, Alex Smith is a far better human being and team mate. He will have more to do with the long-term success of our franchise through his mentorship of Haskins. He has no trade value. In fact, we would probably have to trade valuable draft picks to a team just to take him.

Trent is a complete POS. He will want a new deal with more guaranteed money before playing and its financially stupid to give a player with his age, injury & suspension history, and off-field drama more money. Despite this, he actually has substantially more trade value than Smith.

There's an 8M cap difference between the two players. But trading away picks with smith means spending more in FA $ on players. On the flip side, trading Trent and receiving picks means we'd spend less in FA on other players, so that would eat into that 8M difference. Given everything else, I'll take Smith over Trent 100 times out of 100.

That said, in reality, one does not necessarily affect the other.
Trent has more trade value because he is an elite player at a critical position and everyone in the league knows BA was an ass. Keeping TW and trading AS would do far more good for our team in 2020 then vice versa, but keeping both would be good as well.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #57
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Trent has more trade value because he is an elite player at a critical position and everyone in the league knows BA was an ass. Keeping TW and trading AS would do far more good for our team in 2020 then vice versa, but keeping both would be good as well.

Funny that you mention Bruce, because you seem to be under the same delusion as he is that we are "close" to something. We're not.

Neither Trent Williams or Alex Smith will be on the team by the time we are ready to compete for anything. The only reason i'm not strongly advocating we trade BOTH of them for whatever we can get is that, I believe Haskins development is THE most important thing for this team right now. We need to find out if he's a franchise QB or not. Smith will help him reach his potential. Trent wont.

And don't give me any BS about how we need an elite LT to protect Trent. We don't. Donald Penn did an excellent job last year at a fraction of the cost. We can resign Penn, another FA, or use the pick we trade TW for to draft someone to protect him at a much, much more reasonable price.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #58
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Funny that you mention Bruce, because you seem to be under the same delusion as he is that we are "close" to something. We're not.

Neither Trent Williams or Alex Smith will be on the team by the time we are ready to compete for anything. The only reason i'm not strongly advocating we trade BOTH of them for whatever we can get is that, I believe Haskins development is THE most important thing for this team right now. We need to find out if he's a franchise QB or not. Smith will help him reach his potential. Trent wont.

And don't give me any BS about how we need an elite LT to protect Trent. We don't. Donald Penn did an excellent job last year at a fraction of the cost. We can resign Penn, another FA, or use the pick we trade TW for to draft someone to protect him at a much, much more reasonable price.
We are within a 2 year window, TW could easily be given a 2 year guaranteed contract with no increase in cap.

That said keeping TW is truly dependent on price vs what we could get in trade. If we get offered a first or second, trade him. If he wants guaranteed top 5 money trade him. But if he is willing to reach a reasonable deal that includes guarantees but not salary inflation, keep him.

As for AS, Ron Rivera was in charge of Cam Newton's growth and maturity from day one, I don'r see ANY benefit to keeping a DS best bud in the ear of Haskins, even if he means no harm.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #59
SunnySide
Playmaker

Modern NFL is a 2-3 year window imo. The old days of having 5 years etc is not realistic imo. So much more roster turnover now with trades, FA. If you have the QB, you can build quickly.

Donald Penn did not do an "excellent job" this past season if we are comparing him to the other starters in the league. Donald Penn did do an excellent job for a 36 year old free agent in that he stayed healthy, upright and played better than the low expectations for him.

Penns PFF grade was 64.1 which isnt bad bad. But I dont think we can count on him staying healthy all year again and his availability was his best ability imo.

Still have to trade Trent imo. His time here should have ended last offseason.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #60
mredskins
MVP

My only argument for keeping TW is for helping Haskins develop. TW would give Haskins more time in the pocket.