Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Re: What Type of Head Coach Does This Team Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
His offense scored 27 pts. in the first game and 6 pts. in the second game before that fluke of a TD. So they had one game where they score points and one where they score few points, how is that any different than us? Other than they are 2-0, when they should be 1-1.
Im just saying that he spreads things out so his guys can make plays and he is aggressive in his playcalling --trusts his QB--. Who would have thought Buckhalter would look like mini-westbrook? -to this point-
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I think we need a HC who is a proven winner. He has to be experienced but young enough to lead the team energetically for the next seven to ten years.

I'm a Bill Cowher fan. I don't think of him so much as a disciplinarian but rather as a very intense leader and motivator.

Honestly, Jim Zorn is doing a better job than I thought he would. The difficulty he is facing is that he is learning how to be a HC and a play-caller while on the job. If he makes it past this season, I think he could become the type of HC I described.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

This team needs a Coach they can respect. If we aren't going to blow the whole thing up, then this team needs a guy who is going to work them. This whole " Let's go out and have fun" mantra is not working. Where the hell is the fire with this team? I just watched Sunday's game last night, I was way off on how well I thought the offense had played based on stats. How many times is Portis and Betts going to run into the line man that are blocking for them? That was a piss poor effort all around offensivley. The redzone offense is just one problem. SS I'm not trying to hijack the thread and I just wanted to voice some frustration over what I saw. The whole offense looked sloppy.

I would go with experience ie a good OC who has never had the job or a proven winner in the league. The more I think about it with the money that the team is willing to spend a guy like Mike Holmgren or Cowher is who I want coaching this team.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
celts32
Playmaker

I think we need a firey defensive minded leader that can bring out the greatness in this defense. The strength of the Redskins roster is defense. With this current roster the only way for them to be great is on Defense. I don't mean to sound like I am knocking Blache who is a good DC, but he gives us a good bend but don't break defense that keeps the score down. What this team needs to really excel is a nasty turnover causing, punch you in the mouth game changing defense. Our offensive players are just not that good IMO...we have a big chunk of the cap spent on the defense and that is where this roster needs to make it's mark.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
redsk1
The Starter

First, if there is a change VC has to go. No questions asked. He tenure here is one of mediocrity and questionably choices. No Head Coach has succeeded during his stay. He is the constant amongst our mediocre seasons. Also, Zorn was his guy, his hire. He takes the blame for that. Most of his first choices refused to work under a system like we have.

We need a coach and a gm hire. I'd prefer a relatively young football coach like a B. Schott. Same goes for the GM. Give the reins over and let the football guys do there thing. I would have loved to hire Jim Schwartz but that ship has sailed.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I think Zorn has what it takes. The players respond well to him, which is important. However, he does have some growing up to do. Remember Belichick in Cleveland? He had growing up to do, too. I'm just hoping that the growing pains do not affect the team too badly. I also hope that we are patient enough with inexperienced coaches and players to allow them to grow.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I think Zorn has what it takes. The players respond well to him, which is important. However, he does have some growing up to do. Remember Belichick in Cleveland? He had growing up to do, too. I'm just hoping that the growing pains do not affect the team too badly. I also hope that we are patient enough with inexperienced coaches and players to allow them to grow.
Agreed, I mean if f'ing Al Davis was patient with Chucky, Snyder should be patient with Zorn.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Longtimefan
Playmaker

A coach with natural leadership skills and a vision of where he intends to lead the team, and be able to accomplish his desired goals in a short period of time. That's the most difficult task for any HC in today's win now at all cost, or be gone philosophy.

A coach trained in the art of discipline, treating players as equals with fairness as well as firmness, not demonstrating recognizable favoritism, and holding each and every player accountable for their play on the field, and their social actions off the field.

A coach with the ability to establish a workable relationship with the FO in an effort to acquire talented players that want to be here, and coach them to their maximum ability with a goal in mind to win as many games as possible and eventually bring another SB trophy to Washington before I die.

There are other criteria, but for our team the way it's constructed now (in a win now mode) coach must still be able to insist upon the owner he exercise patience. It does take time to gather all the elements neccessary for a championship caliber team.

There's more........
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
A coach with natural leadership skills and a vision of where he intends to lead the team, and be able to accomplish his desired goals in a short period of time. That's the most difficult task for any HC in today's win now at all cost, or be gone philosophy.

A coach trained in the art of discipline, treating players as equals with fairness as well as firmness, not demonstrating recognizable favoritism, and holding each and every player accountable for their play on the field, and their social actions off the field.

A coach with the ability to establish a workable relationship with the FO in an effort to acquire talented players that want to be here, and coach them to their maximum ability with a goal in mind to win as many games as possible and eventually bring another SB trophy to Washington before I die.

There are other criteria, but for our team the way it's constructed now (in a win now mode) coach must still be able to insist upon the owner he exercise patience. It does take time to gather all the elements neccessary for a championship caliber team.

There's more........
I agree and I think we have that man right now. The thing is, would 2 years be a short enough period of time? I think it's too soon to tell exactly what will happen this year but I still feel we're progressing and will make the playoffs. Better play in the redzone and we're a pretty good team. I like the way this staff talks about "building" a good team. That's the way the Steelers and Ravens do it. When we get better in the redzone I don't think anyone can deny we'll be a pretty damn good football team and the SB will not appear to be out of reach. I'd call that progress. Nice post Longtimefan.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I agree and I think we have that man right now. The thing is, would 2 years be a short enough period of time? I think it's too soon to tell exactly what will happen this year but I still feel we're progressing and will make the playoffs. Better play in the redzone and we're a pretty good team. I like the way this staff talks about "building" a good team. That's the way the Steelers and Ravens do it. When we get better in the redzone I don't think anyone can deny we'll be a pretty damn good football team and the SB will not appear to be out of reach. I'd call that progress. Nice post Longtimefan.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. So much I want to see Zorn succeede because every time we change coaches we take two steps backward. When we start getting the ball in the endzone, there'll be no stoping us.

When it comes to changing coaches, many times the grass is not always greener, I believe it takes time, sometimes more than just a year or two to build a solid winner. When Gibbs left this last time, Mr. Snyder said in his first interview when asked what he learned form Gibbs, he said PATIENCE. I think you and I would agree it's time for him to demonstrate he meant what he said.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. So much I want to see Zorn succeede because every time we change coaches we take two steps backward. When we start getting the ball in the endzone, there'll be no stoping us.

When it comes to changing coaches, many times the grass is not always greener, I believe it takes time, sometimes more than just a year or two to build a solid winner. When Gibbs left this last time, Mr. Snyder said in his first interview when asked what he learned form Gibbs, he said PATIENCE. I think you and I would agree it's time for him to demonstrate he meant what he said.
I think I would agree with you also
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

I agree, winning teams dont change coaches as fast as the Skins do. I think a coach needs 4 years minimum to see if its gonna work.

There is no way a hard a$$ disciplinarian coach would work here because with the Redskins the players run the show, not the coaches. I am trying to imagine Portis, Moss, ARE dealing with a tough coach. It wouldnt be pretty but it could be fun to watch.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

We need a Chameleon-Einstein!
Someone who can improvise, adapt and overcome, and someone smart enough to figure it out.
MORE IMPORTANTLY, what kind of GM do we need?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

We need someone with instant credibility either from their playing days or because they've proven over the years that they know what the hell is going on. Examples of current coaches with that kind of cred: Belichick, Singletary, Tomlin, Parcells... There's some big name guys out there that I absolutely don't want to see, Gruden, Martz, etc because they seem to piss off players more than motivate them.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
SBXVII
Franchise Player

To be honest, we went from a soft Norv to a hard nosed schottenheimer to a soft Spurrier to a soft/medium Gibbs to a strict Saunders to a soft Zorn. The majority were players coach's. I wish we would have kept Schottenheimer but we didn't.

I guess I would go with hard nosed player accountability type like Cower or Gruden. Which is why I didn't like the candidates who were looked at two yrs ago. Shannahan is not a bad candidate so long as he has a hard nosed OC.

Also defensivly I would change the scheme at this point. I know they are near the top of the league but by design I get the feeling the defense is not made to attack the QB from the DL which we are trying to incorperate now, but was designed to attack with the LB's and CB's to keep the QB guessing where the attack was coming from.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote