Doug Farrar on Brian Orakpo

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

Re: Doug Farrar on Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Some may disagree but I think that Orakpo will be what we expected LaVar to be...

agreed..I haven't been as excited about a defensive draft pick since Arrington, even Taylor (rip).
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Funny how people don't give the FO praise for picking Orakpo. Most people will say "well they didn't get Sanchez so they settled for Orakpo." Orakpo is going to be a pro bowler and this was a great pick up by our FO. I do hope that this success we're seeing in the preseason carries on to the regular season. We struck gold (and it was about damn time).
Well, what we have here is a case of the front office going out of their way to EARN their lack of credit.

Every indication says that they actively tried to trade the pick that they used on Orakpo and simply failed. Mark Sanchez would have to be a pretty good player to be better than Orakpo, and he might be, but while we don't know what the team's final offer was to move up, we know it's something that likely would have done the trick had there been no competition.

Now remember, if I had been the one in charge of the draft, we would have had Oher instead of Orakpo. I had them rated about equally, and the offensive player would have been my preference, but Orakpo certainly appears to be the rare, scheme-neutral defensive player I was talking about.

So in that light, if Orakpo ends up defensive ROY, and the Ravens OL has to swallow it's ups and downs, kudos to the FO. Until then, they are sort of to blame for making it look like they lucked into a pick that other teams simply passed on.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
MTK
\m/

We can if and or but this thing all day, bottom line is they drafted Orakpo. Let's give them some credit for what they did, and not take away from it because of what they might have done.

It does seem funny that every good pick gets written off as luck, or no-brainers.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
saden1
MVP

There's an element of luck involved when the guy you want is available. There is no luck involved when you actually pick the guy you want. The front office has done a great job the last few years in the first few rounds. They could do even better if they retain their picks instead of trading for the likes of Jason Taylor.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Orakpo will be his own man. He will most likely be compared to a D. Ware simply because of the connection with the NFC east and the Redskins / Cowboys rivalry. The fact that the FO never gets credit is because of all the stuff that goes along with our draft and FA moves. We are always present whenever any of the experts are talking about a prize free agent, a prized offensive weapon in the draft, or a player to be traded. Think of how many times the Mike Vick thing came up. Last year it was Jason Taylor. Before that we were going to make a move for Calvin Johnson. And you could go on and on about this guy or that guy that was going to be picked up or drafted by the Skin. Even before FA started AH was already being penciled in as a Redskin by alot of the guys in the media. We will never get any credit for making good moves until we have a solid playoff perrennial football team.

All that aside. Rak will be a good one. The FO won't get credit until we win. Then if we did alot of guys would flip flop and you'd hear guys who always bash singing our praises and talking about how smart some of the moves were. This they would preface by stating that they really didn't know what our FO was doing and they ( they being the media anlaysts ) some would come up with the idea that it was all smoke and mirrors.

Sorry to get off on a rant, but I get fed up with the media at times when the Redskins and our FO are trying to build a Great football team for us the fans, players, coaches, and FO people to be proud of. The guys up stairs really do try to give us what we want guys: a great football team. Nobody has ever accused Danny boy of not trying to build a winner.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

Skins know what they are doing when they draft defensively in the first round in this decade alone: bailey, landry, taylor, arrington (kind of a bust), rogers, orakpo, offensively not so much, save Chris Samuels. Even when Cooke was here. Our first round offensive picks have pretty much sucked since Art Monk, all the bum qbs and wideouts.
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
grantarchy
Camp Scrub

He could be a perennial all pro. What a beast.
grantarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #23
DIRTEE
Special Teams

He's like Robert McCune and Ade Jimoh combined into one player. The second coming of the MEAST!!!
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #24
wilsowilso

All I gotta say is thank you Buffalo!

They took a big risk with Maybin at#11. He is very fast and athletic, but he just isn't anywhere close to having NFL strength. Orakpo is already well above average in that category and still remains very fluid. So excited about this guy. I think the rest of the league is already noticing that Orakpo is going to be a major handful starting from day 1. Twelve teams passing on him is pretty amazing.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTEE View Post
He's like Robert McCune and Ade Jimoh combined into one player. The second coming of the MEAST!!!
DUDE WTF iS UR proBLEM DON'T JINX IT Stupidhed.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
DIRTEE
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
DUDE WTF iS UR proBLEM DON'T JINX IT Stupidhed.
C'mon he's a helluva player. Trust me, I was just joking. Relax.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #27
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I think Rak will be playing with a chip on his shoulder he will be mad at the first 12 teams for not picking him and mad at the last 19 teams for not trading up to get him, either way they better watch out.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
LandrySlice
Special Teams

Orakpo is a legend, bottom line!