Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #61
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan57 View Post
first of all,forget about Andrew Luck.According to CBS sports.com he's not coming out until 2013.next year's college crop does not look as good as this year.what about Matt Linhart with Houston?they just drafted T.J. Yates.
As coveted as the experts proclaim he will be upon his eventual decision to enter the NFL, there's already negative karma swirling around his awkward throwing motion.

The negatives as well as the positives are always to the forefront.

[Quote] Oliver Luck, Andrew's Dad..“Call him old school,” Oliver Luck said. “He comes from a faction of people who believe you go to college to pursue your degree.” [Unquote]

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #62
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Remember, to Matt Leinart, football comes in second to babes, hot tubs, and beer.
Matt and I have a lot in common
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #63
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Mr Palmer for Mr McNabb, plus a pick.
I just don't see that happening. Everyone saw how bad McNabb looked at times last year. He'll be a year older, just don't see why Cincy would want him. At this point in McNabb's career he simply has little value.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Really hoping the Dolphins are foolish enough to take McNabb for Chad Henne after the lockout ends, and still give up a late round pick in the deal.

The fact that the Dolphins didn't draft anyone at the QB position suggests this is a pipe dream though.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #65
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Shanahan Has a 'Game Plan' At Quarterback
By Gary Fitzgerald: Redskins.com

In a draft full of surprises, the biggest surprise may be that the Redskins did not draft a quarterback. And now John Beck could be a candidate to be the Redskins' 2011 starter.

After the Redskins picked their last of 12 players -- nose tackle Chris Neild from West Virginia -- in the seventh round, head coach Mike Shanahan said the team has a "game plan" for the quarterback position.

"We have a lot of different directions we could go," he said. "I can't share it with you for obvious reasons. But we do have a plan."

The plan appears to include John Beck, the third quarterback for most of last season behind Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman.

Beck, 29, was acquired by the Redskins in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens in 2010 training camp. He was signed to a contract extension just before the start of the regular season.

Beck has not taken an NFL regular season snap since 2007 when he was with the Miami Dolphins.

Asked about Beck on Saturday night after the draft, Shanahan praised the fifth-year quarterback but would not get into specifics in terms of his role.

"Let me say when John Beck came out [of the draft] I had him as the top-ranked QB that year," Shanahan said. "I didn’t even think it was close. So I have a lot of confidence in John Beck. You evaluate a lot of quarterbacks in a [draft] and he was by far the No. 1 guy. So I think the world of him.

"But I’m not going to get into detail about [the team's quarterback situation]."

Of course, the Redskins could explore quarterback options in free agency once it starts. Free agency is on hold until the NFL labor situation is resolved.

In explaining the team's decisionmaking at quarterback, Shanahan said: "When you have a board, when you pick at certain times, you have to decide what you’re going to give up, the depth of your football team, how long it will take a guy to play, if he fits in your system.

"If that guy does come in, how long will he be on the bench? Do you want to go out in free agency [and get a quarterback]? Do you have somebody targeted? Do you have somebody targeted at the college level as an undrafted guy?

"Obviously we can’t give our game plan away but those are the things we evaluate as part of the process."

The Redskins had opportunities to draft one of the elite quarterbacks as high as the first round.

Missouri's Blaine Gabbert, regarded as a top 10 pick, had fallen to the Redskins at No. 10 overall. Shanahan decided to trade down in the first round with the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 16 overall. The Jaguars promptly selected Gabbert.

Shanahan opted not to pursue TCU's Andy Dalton and Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, both of whom were selected early in the second round.

In the mid-rounds, Shanahan bypassed the likes of Arkansas's Ryan Mallett, Alabama's Greg McElroy, Iowa's Ricky Stanzi, North Carolina's T.J. Yates and Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor.
I have no idea why Shanahan is so high on John Beck. Average arm, average mobility, can't make the players around him better...I really don't care what the guy did in college cause that was like 5 years ago.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #66
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Really hoping the Dolphins are foolish enough to take McNabb for Chad Henne after the lockout ends, and still give up a late round pick in the deal.

The fact that the Dolphins didn't draft anyone at the QB position suggests this is a pipe dream though.
I doubt they're that foolish. Miami isn't giving up on Henne yet. And I don't see anyone giving away a draft pick for a guy who might get cut.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #67
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I could totally hold my nose and live with Grossman. If he can get us to 8-8 or 9-7, I could live with that.
I'd rather go 2-14 then 8-8.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #68
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins View Post
We can all agree upon that McNabb is gone. We may be able to get a player or maybe (if you are lucky) a 3'rd round draft pick. I don't see us getting both for him. Painsworth we will most likely end up cutting... We should not trade away any of our next year picks for a qb. I'd sign a free agent. I read online on the espn wegbsite that Alex Smith got a playbook from the 49ers. Here is the link San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh met with Alex Smith on Friday, says he 'is a 49er' - ESPN If that is true then most likely he will resign with them. What do you think of Brady Quinn? Better than Grossman, & Beck. In my Madden league he lights it up but that is just a game.....
49ers: Harbaugh bets playbook on Alex Smith at QB

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #69
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ good luck for harbaugh I think SF will finish with 7 or less wins again next year.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #70
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Not interested in making some progress eh?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #71
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
^ good luck for harbaugh I think SF will finish with 7 or less wins again next year.
Playoffs. This team has a hell of a lot of talent, the OL will have another year of experience. The team is loaded and Harbaugh will lead them to the playoffs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #72
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

San Francisco has an elite RB(but the injury bug does like him), an elite TE, a playmaking WR, and a top tier run defense. The just need a QB and better pass D, and then they'll be riding high.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #73
BuckSkin
Special Teams

7 wins in the NFC West ensures a home playoff game, so SF will most likely make the playoffs.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #74
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
THANK YOU, finally someone who shares my sentiment. I know its not gonna happen, but I hope shanny starts beck in an attempt to throw the season so we can get luck next year.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #75
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
THANK YOU, finally someone who shares my sentiment. I know its not gonna happen, but I hope shanny starts beck in an attempt to throw the season so we can get luck next year.
I don't get this way of thinking at all. It is like hoping that that someone rapes your wife so that you can then earn brownie points by being there to console her.

A fan, by definition, roots for his team to do well.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote