Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

When Camp Started I Thought...But Now...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

When Camp Started I Thought...But Now...

When Camp Started I Thought...Colt Brennan would solidify himself as the #2 QB, and Chase might slide in at #3 because TC would be too expensive to keep at #3

But Now...Colt is struggling to stay on the roster, and my man Chase looks more legit than even I gave him credit for

When Camp Started I Thought...Marques Hagans would win the #5 WR spot, and more importantly be our new starting punt returner

But Now...well you saw today's cuts

When Camp Started I Thought...We'd see some "feel good" story emerge from the OL backups.

But Now...Our OL depth is concerning me. I guess the "feel good" story has been Will Montgomery, but I really thought we'd see a great battle for RT (Bridges, Heyer, M. Williams) and Heyer basically got it by default, in my opinion

When Camp Started I Thought...Marcus Mason would be another training camp hero without a place or need to be on the roster

But Now...I don't care that Mason doesn't shine or even play on special teams. I'm on the bandwagon. Find a spot on the roster for him and maybe he becomes our featured back in a couple of years. Imagine...Redskins offense being led by free agent QB Chase Daniel, free agent RB Marcus Mason, 7th round WR Marko Mitchell, with the line anchored by free agent OT Stephon Heyer

Your turn...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: When Camp Started I Thought...But Now...

When camp started I thought it was ridiculous to talk about preseason games.
But now, I think it's...oh crap, I still think it's ridiculous!

Seriously though, same as you on the Colt Brennan, thought he was going to be #2...what a disappointment to this point.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I thought that Devin Thomas would be better out of the gate and have settled himself in as #2 WR by now.

I thought that Rinehart would make a better showing and make us feel better about the interior of the line.

I thought that Rak would have more trouble adjusting to the NFL than he has had.

I thought that Swishy would have found a way to bury Rayner by this point in the preseason.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
When Camp Started I Thought...Colt Brennan would solidify himself as the #2 QB, and Chase might slide in at #3 because TC would be too expensive to keep at #3

But Now...Colt is struggling to stay on the roster, and my man Chase looks more legit than even I gave him credit for

When Camp Started I Thought...Marques Hagans would win the #5 WR spot, and more importantly be our new starting punt returner

But Now...well you saw today's cuts

When Camp Started I Thought...We'd see some "feel good" story emerge from the OL backups.

But Now...Our OL depth is concerning me. I guess the "feel good" story has been Will Montgomery, but I really thought we'd see a great battle for RT (Bridges, Heyer, M. Williams) and Heyer basically got it by default, in my opinion

When Camp Started I Thought...Marcus Mason would be another training camp hero without a place or need to be on the roster

But Now...I don't care that Mason doesn't shine or even play on special teams. I'm on the bandwagon. Find a spot on the roster for him and maybe he becomes our featured back in a couple of years. Imagine...Redskins offense being led by free agent QB Chase Daniel, free agent RB Marcus Mason, 7th round WR Marko Mitchell, with the line anchored by free agent OT Stephon Heyer

Your turn...
This brings a tear to my eye. For two yrs I have been saying Mason is a good RB and should replace Rock and maybe Betts if we were trying to get younger as a team and I would get laughed at, told Mason wouldn't crack the squad cause he couldn't crack other teams squad, told he was only good against 2nd stringers. Vindication Baby.

Just Kidding. I am in no way saying that you made those statements, just pointing out that I apparently am not a good judge of talent. LOL.

Honestly though, I do like Betts and think he has filled in admirably. I just feel also that we should be looking for Portis's replacement now cause in 2-3 yrs he will be looking to retire (most likely) and it would be nice to actually have someone he could help mold for our future.

I also like both Alridge and Dorsey. I doubt we keep both unless one makes the practice squad but Zorn needs to pick one and cut Rock in my oppinion. Let Thomas, Mason, Alridge and Moss fill in when they can. Teams would have to figure out who was going to KR/PR or spend that much more time game planning for all.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
rypper11
The Starter

I thought Orakpo would be a terrible OLB in a 4-3, but he is looking great in coverage and I think he might be better than Curry (who I really wanted).

I thought there'd be at least one major trade (ie Jason Taylor) but it hasn't materialized.

I thought Zorn would keep trying to force JC into his kind of QB, but he seems to really be trying to play to JC's strengths.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

When camp first started I thought...

Devin Thomas would be WAY ahead of Malcolm Kelly come Week 1.

Edwin Williams would make this team. Will Montgomery anyone?

Mike Williams would be a factor of some sort.

Alridge and/or Dorsey would have made a significant impact on teams or as change of pace back. Alridge looked OK on Friday, but that's it really.

Colt Brennan would be the #2. Turns out he may be unemployed in a week.

Marko Mitchell would be an afterthought and guys like Hagans and Eloi would be fighting for that 5th spot.

Orakpo would look confused as a LB and we'd be bashing the Skins for screwing with his position.

We would bring in another O-lineman or two to push the current paltry depth.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
WaldSkins
Playmaker

When camp started i thought that the O-line was going to be the weakest part of the team but now i think it's tied for the weakest with the secondary.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

I thought Marko Mitchell was a practice squad guy at best, now he seems to have the #5 spot all but locked up. His future looks pretty bright.

I didn't really expect Colt to beat out Collins, but I'm definitely surprised he has played so poorly. His decision making has been disappointing. The risky throws that made us go ga-ga over him last summer are now biting him in the ass and could cost him a roster spot.

I never thought Chase had any chance of making the team, now well, see above.

I was on the fence with Heyer, but now I'm starting to buy in.

Last edited by MTK; 08-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Agreed. In my opinion, cutting a guy because "all he does is run" is the dumbest reason I've ever heard. Let Devin Thomas return kicks and keep Mason as the #3 halfback.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rock, but keeping three running backs that are all approaching 30 is a recipe for disaster. Mason also has better vision and quickness than Rock. He's an actual change of pace from Portis and Betts, where Rock is more of the same.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Agreed. In my opinion, cutting a guy because "all he does is run" is the dumbest reason I've ever heard. Let Devin Thomas return kicks and keep Mason as the #3 halfback.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rock, but keeping three running backs that are all approaching 30 is a recipe for disaster. Mason also has better vision and quickness than Rock. He's an actual change of pace from Portis and Betts, where Rock is more of the same.
Is he really? Mason seems to me a between the tackles runner, has a good burst into the hole, but does he really offer anything, e.g. speed, much different than CP & LB? My only answer to that is yes, he can't pass block, that's the main way he's different.

I don't know how fast he is, but from watching he doesn't look like a 'speed back.' If anything, his speed looks underwhelming.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Is he really? Mason seems to me a between the tackles runner, has a good burst into the hole, but does he really offer anything, e.g. speed, much different than CP & LB? My only answer to that is yes, he can't pass block, that's the main way he's different.

I don't know how fast he is, but from watching he doesn't look like a 'speed back.' If anything, his speed looks underwhelming.
I don't see him as a change of pace either. He's almost a shorter version of Betts. He's not a speed guy at all, just a hit the hole, between the tackles kinda guy. He's certainly not a home run hitter.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't see him as a change of pace either. He's almost a shorter version of Betts. He's not a speed guy at all, just a hit the hole, between the tackles kinda guy. He's certainly not a home run hitter.
Mason sort of reminds me of Joe Morris that used to play for the Giants.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
First off I agree with you. When Portis first came to the Skins he was the home run hitter the team needed. Speed type of runner. Though in Gibbs style of running the team bulked Portis up for power running. Now Portis is more of a between the tackles power runner. He has lost weight this season but I think he has lost his speed a little. Just a little.

Betts never was a home run hitter. He was already bulkier for the between the tackles type of running. Betts is a little slower then Portis though. when the coach's (in the past) tried to lean on him (the few times they did) he would fumble sometime during the game. Leaving coach's (I believe) to not trust him so he was relegated to 2nd place.

I know I'm not saying anything you all already don't know but simply pointing out that Mason is not a Speed back or scat back type of runner. He is another Portis or Betts. A between the tackles type of runner. Although he is younger and healthier. Someone whome can be groomed for the future after Portis.

Alridge and Dorsey are the speedier/scat back type of runners we need to change things up. Which is why I (if I was the coach) would cut both Betts and Rock, go with the younger power back in Mason to be groomed and fill in to spell Portis once in a while, and keep either Alridge or Dorsey as the speed back. Put the other on the practice squad if we still have a space. We obviously don't need another WR on the practice squad if we keep Moss, ARE, Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
roth74va
Special Teams

I thought..........

Devin Thomas had made enough progress to take over the #2 spot. Still might happen but.....

Malcolm Kelly would still be injured, might end up being the long-awaited #2 we have all been waiting for.

Colt Brennan would make a play for the #2 QB spot. As it turns out he never really had a chance, and is now fighting to keep a job.

Orakpo wouldnt be a good fit at OLB. He is clearly more comfortable with his hand in the dirt, but this kid is a baller.

Mike Williams/Jeremy Bridges might be a factor at LT. Heyer was never really challenged I guess.

Rock was a lock to make the team. With his injury it opened a door, DT looked good on returns, and the other ST's units didnt seem to miss him.

Mason would be sent packing once again, now it looks like he has a legit chance to make the team. The guy has the heart of a lion, Im hoping he is a part of the future for this team.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
freddyg12
Playmaker

When camp started I thought RT would be more of an issue.

I thought the secondary was as deep as any unit, not so sure now about Barnes & tryon. D line is probably our deepest unit.

I thought Daniel was a great pickup, but I surely didn't see him as anything more than a potential practice squad guy. He's at least created a debate for the fans & coaches.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote