Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins free agent signings 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #661
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Redskins free agent signings 2018

It would be great if we could resign Breeland, even if it's just for one year. This move would take one thing off the list we need to resolve during this offseason.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #662
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
It would be great if we could resign Breeland, even if it's just for one year. This move would take one thing off the list we need to resolve during this offseason.
It's odd that nothing has even came out about him since.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #663
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's odd that nothing has even came out about him since.
Maybe they don't see any sense in spending more after signing ScandRick, extending Dunbar and having faith in Moreau.

But baring any unexpected quick healing in his foot, I really feel like we can say him "No one is gonna offer you more than a bag of chips, we're offering you a bag of chips AND a ham sandwich if you're healthy come week 1" and he wouldn't have much of a choice.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #664
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Maybe they don't see any sense in spending more after signing ScandRick, extending Dunbar and having faith in Moreau.

But baring any unexpected quick healing in his foot, I really feel like we can say him "No one is gonna offer you more than a bag of chips, we're offering you a bag of chips AND a ham sandwich if you're healthy come week 1" and he wouldn't have much of a choice.
Likely he will see offers once training camps open, and he can show his foot is healing properly.

edit:
I hadn't really read what happened.
Quote:
Breeland cut his foot in a non-football related injury and it has since become infected. The 26-year-old was in the Dominican Republic when a golf cart hit the back of his left heel, re-opening a wound he suffered in the fourth grade. The injury will require a skin graft.
What a freak accident!!
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #665
GridIron26
Playmaker

I think I know why Hankins didn't sign with us, right away at least. Apparently Redskins made a one year deal offer to Hankins, while he wanted multiple years contract per Keim. I am surprised by the offer Redskins made, perhaps they wasn't sure if Hankins is good fit for our defense system?

Dan Snyder's history suggests another losing season won't be tolerated - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #666
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I think I know why Hankins didn't sign with us, right away at least. Apparently Redskins made a one year deal offer to Hankins, while he wanted multiple years contract per Keim. I am surprised by the offer Redskins made, perhaps they wasn't sure if Hankins is good fit for our defense system?

Dan Snyder's history suggests another losing season won't be tolerated - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

I think the offer to Hankins says they like him, but they don’t love him. And as Keim says he’s a two down player.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #667
EdmundDorf
The Starter

They also have one of the lowest cap spaces for 2019 with three young guys (Scherff, Crowder and Smith) to sign
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #668
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think the offer to Hankins says they like him, but they don’t love him. And as Keim says he’s a two down player.
He’s one of the top run stopping dline men in the game...this silly logic of only 2 down seems to be the same thing we’ve heard in the past which has lead the defense towards the bottom of the league...especially against the run.

You really have to be a dumb ass franchise to run a base defense 3-4 without a NT. Why not just move to a base 4-3?

It’s ridiculous to watch Bruce and the front office every year make the same mistakes.

Well Chico there only in the base 30% of snaps...yeah I know that and we continue to get gashed 50% of the time no matter which package we are in against the run.

If you use the same logic of 2 down...then you better not spend a first round pick on a 2 down d-tackle.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #669
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
He’s one of the top run stopping dline men in the game...this silly logic of only 2 down seems to be the same thing we’ve heard in the past which has lead the defense towards the bottom of the league...especially against the run.

You really have to be a dumb ass franchise to run a base defense 3-4 without a NT. Why not just move to a base 4-3?

It’s ridiculous to watch Bruce and the front office every year make the same mistakes.

Well Chico there only in the base 30% of snaps...yeah I know that and we continue to get gashed 50% of the time no matter which package we are in against the run.

If you use the same logic of 2 down...then you better not spend a first round pick on a 2 down d-tackle.

Vea needs work as a pass rusher, Payne is more versatile, he would be my pick personally

Bottom line is do you give a big deal to Hankins for perhaps 20 snaps a game?

Even if you draft Vea his price tag is significantly less than Hankins. The logic here isn't don't sign a two down guy, it's don't sign a two down guy to a contract that's going to put the squeeze on your cap

Last edited by MTK; 04-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #670
Schneed10
A Dude

When Allen Foster and Brown were all healthy the Skins held opponents to three yards per carry on first and second down.

That’s not to say there’s not room for improvement, or even that a NT like Hankins wouldn’t help. But I don’t think I’d overspend either if I knew my plan was to use Ioannidis and Allen in the nickel. I’m not playing Hankins 9M per season if he’s not a three down lineman. I’d rather look at Bennie Logan for $4M or something.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #671
MTK
\m/

Before all the injuries set in we were running the ball well (remember hanging 200+ on the Rams?) and playing good D. I think that's been forgotten just a bit. Yes we still have needs at RB and along the DL, but I think those needs are a bit overblown. Especially when I see people suggesting Guice at #13 overall is a good idea.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #672
Schneed10
A Dude

I fully agree with that. We should remember what our team looks like when healthy and build off that, not try to build off the injury ravaged bunch that closed out the season.

We should select BPA at 13. It could be a difference maker in the secondary or on the D line, or even a guard. Better yet, trade back if possible and select BPA at that point.

We need some holes filled but we’re not in a complete rebuild. The last thing I’d do is make a reach pick for need.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #673
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Vea needs work as a pass rusher, Payne is more versatile, he would be my pick personally

Bottom line is do you give a big deal to Hankins for perhaps 20 snaps a game?

Even if you draft Vea his price tag is significantly less than Hankins. The logic here isn't don't sign a two down guy, it's don't sign a two down guy to a contract that's going to put the squeeze on your cap
But your making an assumption that Payne and Vea pan...Hankins is a proven commodity in both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes who balls the fuck out.

Like some in the past who have claimed...”our cap management has never the prevented the Skins from making moves and still finding space to sign our own”....ill go ahead and trust them to sign a Hankins and keep our up coming free agents...

I mean, Hankins wouldn’t be another waste of fuckin money like McClain.

There are different ways to cut the pie...but for ffs, stop this garbage of no plan at dt/nt.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #674
MTK
\m/

So basically sign Hankins at his price and hope for the best in getting our guys signed long term, sounds like a solid plan lol
Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #675
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah does sound like a solid plan indeed. But may not work.