Dunbar demanding trade or release

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #61
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Dunbar demanding trade or release

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
While I agree with you , I will give you a little something . Two years ago , when The Skins decided to not pick up the option on J. Doctson ( WR ) , we were at a party with a guy who worked with the Skins Med/Training staff . After a few cold ones , he finally answered us about Doctson . His reply …. biggest crybaby he had been around at NFL level . Next biggest crybaby … Dunbar . Maybe he is not really ready for camp RR / Del Rio ?
This is my biggest concern. He doesnt play through pain which means he will miss games every season for things other players will play through. If true, I am sure the team knows this and might be why a deal wasnt done. Perhaps they expressed this to Dunbar and he got his panties in a bunch.

The more I think about it, see if you can get a 3rd and move on from him. He is only going to give 10 games at most per season.

------------------

Everybody treats you different when you are out with an injury. Players that miss time with pulls, like a groin or hamstring, are called “babies, sissies and soft” behind their backs. Unless the injury is visible or diagnosable, like a compound fracture or torn ACL, everyone in the organization will question the player’s toughness at some level.

I did not want to be in that category, but I also knew I could not run. I had never questioned myself and my NFL career before, but I was having doubts about my future. I shared that with a fellow linebacker, Mark Fields, who was the best athlete I had ever been around. Fields gave me words of advice I had never heard before.

He said: “Take care of yourself first. This is a hardcore business. If the team gets you on tape practicing, they will cut you the next day and you will get nothing. But they are probably cutting you anyway since you haven’t practiced, so they have to pay you for being injured.”

This is a major dilemma that occurs every preseason around the NFL. Fringe players who are eating up a roster spot get injured. They cannot practice, thus they are not helping the team. If the team feels like the player has potential, the organization will give the player some time to try and get healthy. But if the team feels like the player is not good enough, they would like to move on as quickly as possible.

That is where injury settlements come into play. Season-ending injuries end up on injured reserve. Players with “minor” injuries are paid a fraction of their salary to, more or less, go away. That sounds cruel, but players come to understand this practice is part of the deal when signing up to play in the NFL.

I remember a veteran signing later in training camp. The guy had no chance of making the team but all the other players at that position had nagging injuries and coach wanted to hold them out of the preseason game. The player, who had quite a few years under his belt, knew the score and how to work the system.

He “feigned” an injury in the game, a pulled calf muscle. Not season-ending, but enough to get a four-week payday on an injury settlement. I remember sitting by him in the training room saying, “I put my time in, now gotta get that retirement.” He smiled all the way out of the complex on his way to the airport.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-nfl-injuries
-----------------

OT - but I always question when a player gets injured 3 snaps into the first OTAs. Cooley said players get hurt over the summer then come to camp, hide the tear or whatever it is, 3 drills in they go down and now claim injury from practice.

I know Rueben Foster had a pretty significant injury but I do question whether he hurt himself outside of football then hid it until he got to OTAs.

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #62
MTK
\m/

Foster had his knee torn to shreds, not sure he's the best example to use
Old 02-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #63
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Foster had his knee torn to shreds, not sure he's the best example to use
Yeah neither am I sure its the best example. But 3 snaps into the very first OTAs? .. that raises a red flag to me. Just doing fan, shoot from the hip speculation, perhaps he tore it over the summer then shredded it in OTAs.

It is what it is. Whether it was non-football activities or not, we would still keep him. But i do always watch for those guys who drop on the first day. And after reading this article, will watch for those veterans brought in late who then "pull a calf" right before he might be cut.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #64
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Move Dunbar to Tampa for TE OJ Howard

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #65
Skinzorz
Special Teams

I see Dunbar has supposedly changed his tune about wanting a release/trade. He’s going to talk with the boss man. Hopefully they work out a raise that’s good for him and the team.
Skinzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #66
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Move Dunbar to Tampa for TE OJ Howard
He just came out and said he is not looking for a trade but I'd take that deal
Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #67
Skinzorz
Special Teams

Someone probably whispered in our mans ear, and told him that this organization gave him the opportunity to be what he is now. That he should probably be patient and give the organization the opportunity to do the right thing. Instead of saying, “hey bro, get me the hell out of here, I don’t know you.” You might want to reach out in a more respectful manner first. Then if you don’t get the attention you want, start throwing a little something out there and citing that you had been ignored.....this is the reason why I’m acting like this.
Skinzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #68
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Per Al Galdi per Doc Walker...Dunbar meeting with Ron Rivera Thursday. Doesn't want trade or released.

Good news but the Dunbar bat signal worked. Got the ball rolling.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #69
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Per Al Galdi per Doc Walker...Dunbar meeting with Ron Rivera Thursday. Doesn't want trade or released.

Good news but the Dunbar bat signal worked. Got the ball rolling.
Yep, all it takes
Old 02-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #70
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Wait - based on the immediate fan response across social media, weren't we supposed to just cut him immediately for daring to use an incredibly common - and often successful - strategy for working out a mutually amicable deal?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Gotta think Dunny could have handled this behind the scenes vs going public with a tantrum
Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #72
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Gotta think Dunny could have handled this behind the scenes vs going public with a tantrum
+1

No idea why he didn't go to Ron first instead, or if he told someone privately who then leaked it. Either way a poor look for him, but I won't give a shit if they manage to get something worked out. Give him a little more guaranteed money but obviously with his injury history he doesn't deserve a huge deal.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #73
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sign Dunny and also bring in Byron Jones/ Tre Boston and you have a legit top 5 unit
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #74
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Sign Dunny and also bring in Byron Jones/ Tre Boston and you have a legit top 5 unit
I would love those moves
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #75
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The more I read about Jones, the more I want to stay away from him. Not that he is a bad player, hes a good player but hes just that. Hes a starting caliber CB2 imo but nothing special. Certainly not the 13-15M per he will most likely get from someone.

-------------

Jones should safely command a contract worth $13 million to $15 million in annual value.

The Cowboys don’t seem quick to draft a check.

On Tuesday, executive vice president Stephen Jones characterized re-signing Prescott as the “No. 1 priority” this offseason and Cooper as “No. 2.” On Wednesday, vice president of player personnel Will McClay was asked directly about Jones.

“He’s a starting-caliber NFL corner,” McClay said. “A really good player. We have to figure out his financial value and if it fits for us.”

His one major shortcoming has been a lack of playmaking.

Jones is the first defensive back in NFL history to exceed 70 starts during his first five seasons and record fewer than five interceptions. Jones has two picks in 73 starts. He carries into free agency a streak of 40 straight games without an interception.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...-with-suitors/
-----

I go 10M per for both jones and dunbar (and be really happy about it) but I doubt either would take it.