Two Guys, One Cut

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Two Guys, One Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Good point, but I think it comes down to the economy of roster spots. If we keep either Mason or Dorsey, then we can't keep Eddie Williams, a 6th receiver (Hackett?), or a 10th lineman (Mike Williams?). So if you do keep that 4th RB, you want to make sure that he has a role on a team where both Portis and Betts are healthy AND have the ability to be a change of pace back if one should get hurt.

Which is why Dorsey makes sense IMO. Mason has a huge playing role in the second scenario, but is more of an inactive player type in the first.
Agreed. I hope in the next couple of games Dorsey gets more work both as a returner and in the backfield.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I would think Dorsey is a lot more like Sproles than Mason is
yeah thats what i thought too. just havent watched enough for me to make a somewhat informed opinion.

gtripp - as much as i hate saying this i would cut rock to make the roster space. i've been a huge rock fan ever since he personally apologized to the whole locker room after fumbling the ball on the goaline against the cowboys years ago. showed real heart and accountability but i think his time with the skins may be over even if he is a skin at heart.

on special teams rock returns kick offs by running full steam ahead which i assume dorsey can do just as well since thats, to my understanding, why we broght him here from the cfl.

but can dorsey make tackles on special teams coverage?
is rock the vocal leader and on-field coach of the special teams coverage?
if dorsey does ST coverage, will the man's body hold up to the beating and still stay explosive?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah thats what i thought too. just havent watched enough for me to make a somewhat informed opinion.

gtripp - as much as i hate saying this i would cut rock to make the roster space. i've been a huge rock fan ever since he personally apologized to the whole locker room after fumbling the ball on the goaline against the cowboys years ago. showed real heart and accountability but i think his time with the skins may be over even if he is a skin at heart.

on special teams rock returns kick offs by running full steam ahead which i assume dorsey can do just as well since thats, to my understanding, why we broght him here from the cfl.

but can dorsey make tackles on special teams coverage?
is rock the vocal leader and on-field coach of the special teams coverage?
if dorsey does ST coverage, will the man's body hold up to the beating and still stay explosive?
I'd agree with Rock's release on the principle of roster space economy, but I don't think this team is better off with Dorsey or Mason in his place. I think we can keep 4 RB if we want a change of pace back and punt returner, but without Rock, now we're losing something tangible in the KR game in that few are better, and we're trying to replace everything else he does as well.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #34
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The regular season can't get here soon enough.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So in some cases below, both players may make the team and in some cases neither may.

But let's suppose you had to make the call. If you had to make a decision today, which of the two guys would you cut?

Remember...this isn't how you think would be cut. This is who you would cut (and that, of course, would include putting someone on the practice squad)

Chase Daniel or Colt Brennan
I'd put Chase on the practice squad. He'll be starting for us in 2011 though

Shaun Suisham or Dave Rayner
Better the devil you know, cut Rayner

Marcus Mason or Domonique Dorsey (I'll add Rock Cartwright here)
I can't find a spot for Mason, so I'll cut him. I really like what I saw of Dorsey the other day both as a back and especially on special teams

Devin Clark or Mike Williams
I'd cut Clark and maybe put Williams on the PUP list until mid-season

Cody Glenn or Robert Thomas
I'd cut Thomas, I think Glenn can add special teams value. I had high hopes for Thomas this summer, but haven't seen much

Renaldo Wynn or Alex Buzbee (I'll add Rob Jackson here)
I'd cut Wynn, give his playing time to Jarmon

Justin Tryon or Bryon Westbrook
I'd cut Westbrook because I haven't been able to figure what he offers beyond telling us his brother won't play against us
I agree with all of them but Wynn and Buzbee. I'd cut both of them and keep Jackson.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Chase Daniel or Colt Brennan
Eh. Colt cause he's old. Neither is necessarily deserving, but Chase Daniel has that 3-5% chance of becoming our franchise QB. If Colt gets his time next year, he'll already be 26 or 27. Can't develop that.

Shaun Suisham or Dave Rayner
Dave Rayner because Suisham isn't ungodly awful on kickoffs and has decent accuracy numbers over his career.

Marcus Mason or Domonique Dorsey (I'll add Rock Cartwright here)

Mason becuase Dorsey's value added on Punt Returns makes him valuable to us. Mason gives us an explosive runner out of the backfield, but there's no playing time on this team for someone like that.

Devin Clark or Mike Williams
Both. I'd keep Edwin Williams instead as a backup C/G, and I'd make Rinehart the emergency LT.

Cody Glenn or Robert Thomas
I'd have to cut Glenn given this choice because Thomas seems like the only quailty backup WLB we have on the roster, but truth is, I'd maybe oust Fincher so that we could see a year of Glenn hitting people on special teams.

Renaldo Wynn or Alex Buzbee (I'll add Rob Jackson here)
Buzbee, I guess. I like the idea of having Wynn back up an injury prone player Daniels, so that they don't have to force Jarmon onto the field. Wynn is an easy mid-season cut if Jarmon earns his way onto the field, and I think Buzbee is still PS eligible. I like Jackson's development to this point too much to let him go before his second season.

Justin Tryon or Bryon Westbrook
Westbrook. Tryon hasn't shown much, but better to flash skill in practice than to not have it at all.
what matters about colt tho is how much his body has taken, hit wise, than age wise..tony romo started for dallas at 27
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #37
WaldSkins
Playmaker

This could be the best thread title ever.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #38
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Not really...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #39
irish
Playmaker

The guy I would let go at QB is Collins. I know that aint gonna happen but this team isnt going anywhere and I'd rather keep 2 young QBs that could develop instead of an old one that isnt a part of the future.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #40
Big30
Camp Scrub

I think we cut both kickers and sign
matt stover Baltimore and DC are the same when it comes to wind and inclimate weather I'm just so tired of making every field goal seem like it's do or die even when it is 25 yards out
Big30 is offline   Reply With Quote