Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Free Agency Plan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

WFT Free Agency Plan

Hope everyone is well, new free agency thread time

So what’s on your Skins Free Agent shopping list? What areas of the team should we focus, what area should we wait see if we can get value as free agency opens?

To me it’s easy...speed, versatility and play making ability on offense. Character and guys who love football should be included in team building. After pulling a foolish, tard move of applying 2nd tag to a guard ensuring the last year of him being in a Skin uniform, there is still some money to spend. Here are my priorities based on available talent:

Receivers. I want speed and the ability to play outside and slot. I also think rather than pay no 1 money, focus on guys who would compliment Terry...I think he is developing as that no 1.

Curtis Samuel would be my target if we can keep it under 10 mil per year. Has played in and outside, fast and has the scheme versatility.
Others I like as fall back: Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones...guys I would stay away from Fuller (injury) and Corey Davis has way too much risk to pay big.

Tight End: Gerald Everett would be my target. Affordable, athletic option who blocks and catches. The biggest thing lackin in our scheme is not being able to play 2 TE sets (12 personnel). I draft another TE as well. Fallback: Jonnu Smith if the money is right. U can’t go crazy here and we have too many needs, and TN letting him walk should raise eyebrows.

2nd Running Back: I’m shocked at the lack of talk across the league about the solid crop of free agent backs with an upcoming draft that seems lacking in the position. I’d like to get a solid back to put behind Gibson..when he went out it hurt. I’m not spending big money, but looking for value.
Target: Mike Davis, K Drake
Fallback: Conner or Lindsey

Free Safety: Target: Tre Boston, I’ve been talking about him for like 3 years. Vet, affordable and can play single high.

MLB: Target: Anthony Walker Jr. is someone I would look hard at. I wouldn’t mind adding him to the group if the money is right. It’s a value add and I’m still planning on drafting LB high in draft.

Corner: Re sign Darby Or pay a Vet a one year deal. This is a position in the draft I’m planning on grabbing talent as well mid rounds.

QB...I’m staying away for now. Not desperate

Who you got?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: WFT Free Agency Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Hope everyone is well, new free agency thread time

So what’s on your Skins Free Agent shopping list? What areas of the team should we focus, what area should we wait see if we can get value as free agency opens?

RR made it clear that WFT will make an early run at top FA's. To me, that says Kenny Golladay and/or Anthony Harris. Those players would both cost a ton.

To me it’s easy...speed, versatility and play making ability on offense. Character and guys who love football should be included in team building. After pulling a foolish, tard move of applying 2nd tag to a guard ensuring the last year of him being in a Skin uniform, there is still some money to spend. Here are my priorities based on available talent:

Receivers. I want speed and the ability to play outside and slot. I also think rather than pay no 1 money, focus on guys who would compliment Terry...I think he is developing as that no 1.

Curtis Samuel would be my target if we can keep it under 10 mil per year. Has played in and outside, fast and has the scheme versatility.

IMO Samuel is one of the most versatile and effective players in the NFL. He's a perfect fit for our Offense. Also, he runs a 4.3 forty and he's only 24 years old.

Others I like as fall back: Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones...guys I would stay away from Fuller (injury) and Corey Davis has way too much risk to pay big.

No thanks to the fall back guys.

Tight End: Gerald Everett would be my target. Affordable, athletic option who blocks and catches. The biggest thing lackin in our scheme is not being able to play 2 TE sets (12 personnel). I draft another TE as well.

I agree with you that Everett could be very good addition for our team. He averaged over 10 yards per catch which is huge for a TE. He's only 26 which is a good thing for a building team.

Fallback: Jonnu Smith if the money is right. U can’t go crazy here and we have too many needs, and TN letting him walk should raise eyebrows.

OK, if you must.

2nd Running Back: I’m shocked at the lack of talk across the league about the solid crop of free agent backs with an upcoming draft that seems lacking in the position. I’d like to get a solid back to put behind Gibson..when he went out it hurt. I’m not spending big money, but looking for value.
Target: Mike Davis, K Drake
Fallback: Conner or Lindsey

I too think we could use another RB. Kenyan Drake is the easy choice for me. He's a do-it-all player who scored 10 times last season.

Free Safety: Target: Tre Boston, I’ve been talking about him for like 3 years. Vet, affordable and can play single high.

MLB: Target: Anthony Walker Jr. is someone I would look hard at. I wouldn’t mind adding him to the group if the money is right. It’s a value add and I’m still planning on drafting LB high in draft.

Corner: Re sign Darby Or pay a Vet a one year deal. This is a position in the draft I’m planning on grabbing talent as well mid rounds.

QB...I’m staying away for now. Not desperate

Who you got?

If it were up to me, I'd try to sign Anthony Harris and Curtis Samuel just as soon as possible because I think they would be the best FA fits (a.k.a. difference makers) for our team.
See my response above.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
EdmundDorf
The Starter

RR doesn't have a history of paying for Safeties, more likely to pick up someone like Tre Boston in the tertiary market after the draft
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

QB - (Mariota, Winston...) whoever they favor
WR - Corey Davis (deep WR draft, so no reason to get into a bidding war for a WR)
TE - Gerald Everett (IMO they have to address this position in FA)
G - Matt Feiler (compete for LG/depth)
LB - Jayon Brown (upgrade to what we have, still hope to draft one)
CB - Malcolm Butler (if Darby doesn't come back)
S - John Johnson

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 03-13-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
AnonEmouse
The Starter

For me, I look at who's an upgrade over what we have.

QB - If we hadn't tendered Allen I might have gone for a 1 year rental on Fitz. But he's not really much of an upgrade on what we have already. For QB it's draft in my book.
RB - McKissick is the only guy I'd really want to keep after Gibson. I'd consider Davis, as he's an every down back, as well as Drake. But I wouldn't pay silly money; there will be HB's in the draft and UDFA that will likely turn out good backups.
WR - Deffo go after Golladay and Samuel, but only sign 1 of them. We've got good potential at least in what would then be our 3rd, 4th and 5th WR's (I favour Cam Sims, Harmon and Gandy-Golden right now) so both would be an expensive luxury. Golladay offers us close to having 2 x #1's and Samuel offers a lot of flexibility.
TE - I'd like to go after Henry but I think Everett and Smith will offer more VFM.
OL - now we're keeping Scherff this year I don't see anyone as great value in FA, at least not without injury risk. Maybe Fisher if he checks out physically.
DL - Nobody except maybe a little depth if we let Kerrigan walk?
LB - Jayon Brown? LB seems to be one of the weaker positions in FA so we must be looking at the draft to fill need.
DB - If we could pick up Harris and Griffin/Jackson to shore up S and CB I'd be happy. And that's assuming we can re-sign Darby, who I think they want to keep.

Tall order, but if we could land all or most of these guys, then it gives us so many options in the draft, including trading up (QB) if we can get 'our guy'. But half of them would make us competitive, if not division favourites, with an above average QB performance.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
QB - (Mariota, Winston...) whoever they favor
WR - Corey Davis (deep WR draft, so no reason to get into a bidding war for a WR)
TE - Gerald Everett (IMO they have to address this position in FA)
G - Matt Feiler (compete for LG/depth)
LB - Jayon Brown (upgrade to what we have, still hope to draft one)
CB - Malcolm Butler (if Darby doesn't come back)
S - John Johnson
Underrated player...good call

I think brown isn’t that great especially at the price he wants.

He Gets Us
Old 03-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
See my response above.
Acceptable

He Gets Us
Old 03-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Underrated player...good call

I think brown isn’t that great especially at the price he wants.
What's his price?
Old 03-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

What are the chances they make a trade for a QB prior to free agency?
Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
What's his price?
I think he see Milano numbers...he ain’t that.

He Gets Us
Old 03-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think he see Milano numbers...he ain’t that.
He'll probably get that.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
GridIron26
Playmaker

Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith and Tre Boston or John Johnson.

I have mixed feelings about current WRs crops. I was hoping we would target Robinson or Godwin. I like Golladay but he has injury history and played only 65% games in his career so far. I guess the next best available is Corey Davis but I have doubts whether he could still help the offense if McLaurin cannot play.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #13
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Corey Davis put up very respectable numbers with AJ Brown on the other side. I'm not sure why some think he couldn't do the same here with McLaurin.

65 receptions
984 yards
70.3 yards/game
5 TDs

All that in 14 games.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Corey Davis would be A good compliment to Terry. I’d take him over Will Fuller. I don’t think Golladay is worth the $$. Same goes for Juju
Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Corey Davis put up very respectable numbers with AJ Brown on the other side. I'm not sure why some think he couldn't do the same here with McLaurin.

65 receptions
984 yards
70.3 yards/game
5 TDs

All that in 14 games.
Too me he is a very late bloomer who finally put it together in a contract year and that carries some risk imo. Consistency issues...who is looking to get paid like a no 1. He’s not a one.

From what I hear good character guy who has good hands. I wouldn’t be opposed but he’s not a guy I’d give a ton of money too.

He Gets Us