Dustin Hopkins Sucks Post Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #76
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Dustin Hopkins Sucks Post Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Disagree, terrible decision IMO. 2&8 in a 6 points game, take wide open McKissick right away. And then on the run, I say know who you are and take what you can on the ground. Finally, terrible throw, he needed to lead Wright towards the sideline where only he could catch it.

Wright wasn't supposed to be there. He breaks to the right when he sees Haskins scramble then does a great pass defense on his own team's throw. Wright basically screwed up the scramble drill. He should have broken towards Haskins to give him a 3rd option instead he made the field congested for Haskins throw.

Edit: looking at it if Wright had moved to around the 15 he would have created a wide open target for Haskins.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #77
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Wright wasn't supposed to be there. He breaks to the right when he sees Haskins scramble then does a great pass defense on his own team's throw. Wright basically screwed up the scramble drill. He should have broken towards Haskins to give him a 3rd option instead he made the field congested for Haskins throw.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Fair enough. He still is the most open guy when Dwayne makes the throw though, and I don't see how he doesn't see him since he's in front of Sims.

My main point was just throw the check down to McKissick in that situation.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #78
MTK
\m/

How about just throw the ball away
Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #79
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Logan Thomas working back to Haskins is completely wide open.

Yet Haskins throws a jump ball which may have been intercepted anyway as the back defender was coming over Sims to make the play.

But the intial read should have been JD there

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #80
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
How about just throw the ball away
If Wright doesn't get out of position and tip that ball, we likely have it 1st and goal on a 9 play 60+ yard drive in the 2nd quarter with a chance to go up 7-6.

In fact, Wright's defender fell down and Wright had the whole middle of the field to range in, and he heads right towards the spot another receiver was designed to be.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #81
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Yet Haskins throws a jump ball which may have been intercepted anyway as the back defender was coming over Sims to make the play.

Seattle #50 has Logan Thomas covered on his route and by the time LT started jogging back toward Haskins Haskins was already winding up to throw it. Haskins threw a good ball that would have been catchable by Sims, or Pass Interference on the defender. The more I watch it, I don't see any way this isn't Wright interjecting himself in the play and ending up breaking up a clean pass from his own qb. Wright even draws the second safety into the play on the ball, if he had sat down or come back towards Haskins when his defender fell down, he would have been a great option, instead he literally closed off the throwing lane that Haskins was seeing.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #82
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

Edit: looking at it if Wright had moved to around the 15 he would have created a wide open target for Haskins.
Yes, if Wright had come more towards his QB as well as to the side his QB was scrambling to, the result would probably be a catch (assuming a good throw and catch). Looking at it a few times. In the scramble, Wright is looking back to the Qb and I think asking him to also look behind him and be aware of Sims and spacing may be asking too much.

Haskins had the underneath wide open but good for him to not take that (in this situation) since he had good pass pro with 4 wideouts running deep routes to try and take a chance.

Route running or play calling gets me though. Bunching and a lack of space has been a problem, especially in the first half of the season. I heard JP and others talk about this. Is it Turner's play calling or players running lazy routes?

Here, 2 of the 3 guys bunched wide to the right, the 2 inside WRs of the 3 bunch run practically right next to each other for 15 yards down field then break off at their stems.
----------------------

How do we post these gif plays? Mark Bullock has a lot of these in his twitter feed and it makes talking plays a lot easier.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #83
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Here is that whole series playsheet. Haskins had made several throws and led a very good drive till that play. 44 yards through the air, and 4 + minutes
off the clock. Then our defense gave up a 97 yard drive, and the offense led an 11 play 46 yard drive in 1 1/2 minutes. We lost, it sucks, but our defense giving up a 97 yard drive is, to me, more unacceptable than the tipped INT from Haskins on that play.

1st & 10 at WSH 25
(10:51 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass short middle to L.Thomas to WAS 36 for 11 yards (B.Wagner).

1st & 10 at WSH 36
(10:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass short right to L.Thomas to WAS 38 for 2 yards (K.Wright).

2nd & 8 at WSH 38
(9:35 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.McKissic up the middle to WAS 40 for 2 yards (L.Collier).

3rd & 6 at WSH 40
(9:02 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass short right to L.Thomas to SEA 49 for 11 yards (B.Wagner).

1st & 10 at SEA 49
(8:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass incomplete short middle to P.Barber.

2nd & 10 at SEA 49
(8:16 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass short middle to L.Thomas to SEA 29 for 20 yards (A.Robinson; B.Wagner).

1st & 10 at SEA 29
(7:37 - 2nd) J.McKissic left guard to SEA 27 for 2 yards (B.Wagner).

2nd & 8 at SEA 27
(6:50 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Haskins pass deep right intended for C.Sims INTERCEPTED by Sq.Griffin (Q.Diggs) at SEA 3. Sq.Griffin to SEA 3 for no gain (C.Sims).
Old 12-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #84
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

1. Youre asking Haskins to throw across his body, late, to the middle of the field to hit Thomas.

2. JD was wide open but Im happy Haskins didnt take the underneath and looked to take a shot bc he had good pass pro and he had WRs running deep routes. We ALWAYS take the underneath. Our offense would be tailored to Ben Roethlisberger or Alex Smith. Just be decisive and accurate on passes 15 yards or less.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #85
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Yes, if Wright had come more towards his QB as well as to the side his QB was scrambling to, the result would probably be a catch (assuming a good throw and catch). Looking at it a few times. In the scramble, Wright is looking back to the Qb and I think asking him to also look behind him and be aware of Sims and spacing may be asking too much.

Haskins had the underneath wide open but good for him to not take that (in this situation) since he had good pass pro with 4 wideouts running deep routes to try and take a chance.

Route running or play calling gets me though. Bunching and a lack of space has been a problem, especially in the first half of the season. I heard JP and others talk about this. Is it Turner's play calling or players running lazy routes?

Here, 2 of the 3 guys bunched wide to the right, the 2 inside WRs of the 3 bunch run practically right next to each other for 15 yards down field then break off at their stems.
----------------------

How do we post these gif plays? Mark Bullock has a lot of these in his twitter feed and it makes talking plays a lot easier.
My point is Wright should at least know about where Sims would be ending up, and not make a beeline for that same spot. I also think every WR needs to be aware of spacing and where he is leading the defenders. I think in the GIF it is clear that Wright hits the top of his route, looks back and sees Haskins running right, so he takes off toward the deep route, instead of moving to an open space at the level he broke off his route.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #86
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
My point is Wright should at least know about where Sims would be ending up, and not make a beeline for that same spot. I also think every WR needs to be aware of spacing and where he is leading the defenders. I think in the GIF it is clear that Wright hits the top of his route, looks back and sees Haskins running right, so he takes off toward the deep route, instead of moving to an open space at the level he broke off his route.
I hear ya. I think perhaps that is too much to ask of this guy named Wright that probably wont be playing on Sundays next year. I hope we keep Terry, Cam Sims, AGG .. but then add 3 new guys (1 legit WR2 from FA, 1 drafted WR, 1 UDFA WR). Im not a fan of Steve Sims, Wright, Inman. Nothing against them personally, just dont see them as NFL players. Maybe Steve Sims as WR6 bc he plays special teams.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #87
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I hear ya. I think perhaps that is too much to ask of this guy named Wright that probably wont be playing on Sundays next year. I hope we keep Terry, Cam Sims, AGG .. but then add 3 new guys (1 legit WR2 from FA, 1 drafted WR, 1 UDFA WR). Im not a fan of Steve Sims, Wright, Inman. Nothing against them personally, just dont see them as NFL players. Maybe Steve Sims as WR6 bc he plays special teams.
Agreed. Wright, Foster, Steve Sims Jr all need to be off the roster.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #88
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Watching that GIF over again (I find it fascinating for some reason) things that stand out, are both Terry and McKissic are very well covered. Terry takes up two defenders, and McKissic actually takes up 3. One defender starts with McKissic, then drops off to cover Terry even though he is probably out of the play, and then both the FS #28 and MLB drop off their coverage to pick up McKissic on the crossing route. Also when Wagner, #54 falls and gets up he immediately heads to where I think Wright should have gone which is the wide open area around the 18 yard line.
Finally, I think the line did a decent job of protection, and I loved that Moses' guy ended up on his back.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #89
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd critique the WR's for starters. Sims works back to the QB but he's go t a man underneath him he can see (Wright), so he should have worked deeper into the corner of the EZ; gives Haskins an easy lob to the back pylon or OOB. Wright makes the right move outside, but he works deeper instead of coming back to eh QB diagonally. That would separate him and Sims, and increase the closing distance the S had to make up. But even so, DH should have thrown that ball low and outside so only Wright could get it. Whichever of the two he was aiming for, he's quite a bit off the mark.

He could have thrown to LT, but his eyes are in the right place, looking at the 2 targets he had in his direction of movement. Throwing to LT would be back across his body (QB's are told not to do that and Mahomes is a special case!). And if he's read that Wagner has gone over he could have been thinking he'll pop up and cover the inside, not break for the flat (because he's read DH's eyes).

My throw would be to Wright low and outside as his only cover is coming from the S chasing him. Sims is NOT the throw here as he's doubled up because of that S coming across. I think DH made a bad throw to Wright not an awful throw to Sims (that Wright tipped). If it was to Sims it was never going to reach him as Sims was working back and inside, not out. Wright did his job trying to catch it, this one is on DH for a correct but inaccurate throw.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #90
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Exactly. That is the point I was trying to make. Can't put that one all on Haskins, that actually had the potential to be a very nice play had Wright not been in the way. All this talk about him throwing into triple coverage on that play is BS.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote