Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Gud, the bad and the Great. Rams Post game reactions

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #136
MTK
\m/

Re: The Gud, the bad and the Great. Rams Post game reactions

Jones has some serious speed, more than I think anyone realized. Also shows how worthless 40 times can be.

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #137
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Jones has some serious speed, more than I think anyone realized. Also shows how worthless 40 times can be.
Depending on what sources you believe Jerry Rice was around a 4.6 yet you
never saw him get caught from behind. Having a quick burst and getting up to speed quickly are way more important than having a high top speed that gives a lot of guys a great 40 time.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #138
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...te-rough-loss/

profootball focus: Redskins-Rams

QB Kirk Cousins (+0.9) did what he needed to do to win this game, but not much more than that. He finished with a +0.4 passing grade, throwing plenty of short throws and letting receivers do the rest. Of his 27 attempts, only five of them were thrown beyond 10 yards downfield, of which he completed two for 56 yards. Of his 203 yards, only 91 of them were in the air, the rest being gained after the catch. That percentage (44.8% YIA) was the sixth-lowest among QBs across the league this week.

— A great day for DE Jason Hatcher (+3.7) rushing the passer that doesn’t show up in the sack column due to the Rams’ strategy of quick passes. Hatcher had five QB hurries and finished with a +4.9 pass rush grade, which was the highest among either team. He struggled elsewhere however, finishing the game with no tackles and a -1.3 run defense grade.

— The Redskins did well to win the game considering the very poor play of C Kory Lichtensteiger (-10.0). He was constantly beaten when pass blocking, surrendering a sack, a QB hit and an additional hurry en route to a -4.3 pass block grade. His run blocking was arguably worse (-5.8). If you take away RB Alfred Morris’ (-2.4) 35-yard run (a zone play where Lichtensteiger received double team help), the Redskins ran the ball on either side of Lichtensteiger 10 times and gained 11 yards. The Redskins averaged 6.33 yards per carry (27 rushes for 171 yards) everywhere else in the game.

Top Performers:

DT Jason Hatcher (+3.7)
TE Jordan Reed (+2.3)
ILB Keenan Robinson (+1.9)
TE Derek Carrier (+1.9)
OLB Ryan Kerrigan (+1.5)
After listening to Cooley's film breakdown on the offense yesterday evening I put zero (0) faith in this.

He compared the grades PFF gave Trent to his own observations and said PFF was flat out wrong

He basically said if Trent played like he did against the Rams he will be in the Probowl.

He said coaches should use Trent's film from last Sunday as an example to show young tackles how to play the position.

Yet, PFF had Trent very close to 0. I believe it was a negative score but I can't remember for certain.

Audio Vault | ESPN 980

Hour 2 from 9-22-15

He did ding Corey on some pass plays but credited him with getting to the second level and making the block that sprung some of the biggest runs of the game.

If PFF is that wrong about Trent's play, then it, they, he, whatever, could be and probably is wrong about others.

I trust Cooley's analysis more than . . .

Not sure what goes in the blank there.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #139
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
After listening to Cooley's film breakdown on the offense yesterday evening I put zero (0) faith in this.

He compared the grades PFF gave Trent to his own observations and said PFF was flat out wrong

He basically said if Trent played like he did against the Rams he will be in the Probowl.

He said coaches should use Trent's film from last Sunday as an example to show young tackles how to play the position.

Yet, PFF had Trent very close to 0. I believe it was a negative score but I can't remember for certain.

Audio Vault | ESPN 980

Hour 2 from 9-22-15

He did ding Corey on some pass plays but credited him with getting to the second level and making the block that sprung some of the biggest runs of the game.

If PFF is that wrong about Trent's play, then it, they, he, whatever, could be and probably is wrong about others.

I trust Cooley's analysis more than . . .

Not sure what goes in the blank there.
PFF is pretty good with their rankings. I'm not a scout so I wouldn't know enough to agree or disagree on any specific point but at the end of last year they had the Redskins OL as a top 10 OL in the league. Given their performance in the following 2 games, I'd say they were on target. They typically look at each players performance individually. These aren't high school scouts either, they are mostly guys with NFL OL coaching experience. Not saying they are right, but I wouldn't completely dismiss them either.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #140
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinJake View Post
PFF is pretty good with their rankings. I'm not a scout so I wouldn't know enough to agree or disagree on any specific point but at the end of last year they had the Redskins OL as a top 10 OL in the league. Given their performance in the following 2 games, I'd say they were on target. They typically look at each players performance individually. These aren't high school scouts either, they are mostly guys with NFL OL coaching experience. Not saying they are right, but I wouldn't completely dismiss them either.
I went back last night and watched the most of the offensive snaps after listening to Cooley.

I focused on Trent. I wanted to see the pro bowl performance Cooley was talking about. I always get caught up in the game and have a hard time breaking it down without replaying it.

I'm not a football expert, just a fan, but to my untrained eye his performance looked exactly like Cooley's analysis rather than a negative to zero.

He might as well have been wearing pvc and holding a cat 'o' nine tails with metal rings. He was dominating a dude who is supposed to be a pro bowler.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #141
That Guy
Living Legend

i don't think pff is totally worthless, but i'd have to say i trust cooley's breakdown more, since he watches like 12 hours on a single skins game (pff has soo much data to track that the analysis is shallower or somewhat automated in parts, i'm sure).

they might just have a rubric that they can hand to a high-schooler on "this is a +1 play, this is a -1 play."
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #142
calia
Playmaker

Sometimes, I would just prefer to enjoy a hard earned win by the team without the dissection to follow. This is one of those times.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #143
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post

Where is Cooley getting PFF's grade for Trent from? They didn't publish the individual grades yet; only the game reviews, which didn't include a grade for Trent.

Anyhow, PFF is used by ~19 NFL teams. Are they infallible? No; but neither is Cooley.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #144
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Where is Cooley getting PFF's grade for Trent from? They didn't publish the individual grades yet; only the game reviews, which didn't include a grade for Trent.

Anyhow, PFF is used by ~19 NFL teams. Are they infallible? No; but neither is Cooley.
^^ exactly.. not saying Cooley is wrong but those guys are pro scouts. Cooley is not. Players are notoriously bad at evaluating other players. They may have seen something else they did not like. PFF is typically high on Trent Williams.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #145
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinJake View Post
^^ exactly.. not saying Cooley is wrong but those guys are pro scouts. Cooley is not. Players are notoriously bad at evaluating other players. They may have seen something else they did not like. PFF is typically high on Trent Williams.
The only bits i've read about Trent on PFF is this:
"Offensive tackle Trent Williams is one of two left tackles to not allow a pressure this season."

And not directly related to the Trent convo but Cooley also lacks objectivity. He admittedly is a fan of the Redskins AND also has a friendship with McVay and working relationship with J on the coaches show. Cooley's analysis is heavily influenced by their opinions.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #146
That Guy
Living Legend

i dunno, cooley will say a player played like crap when they play like crap, which most analysts and talking heads are really reluctant to do, even when it's obvious. He;s also said he's not sure J is a good coach or the right coach too, so i really haven't seen a lot of obvious bias (except for talking about mcvay).
Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #147
Evilgrin
The Starter

The tape is the DNA

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #148
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i dunno, cooley will say a player played like crap when they play like crap, which most analysts and talking heads are really reluctant to do, even when it's obvious. He;s also said he's not sure J is a good coach or the right coach too, so i really haven't seen a lot of obvious bias (except for talking about mcvay).
Love Cooley's work.
He takes no prisoners, yet does not go out of his way to throw anybody under the bus. Provides great detail in his film breakdowns. I really have come to put a lot of stock in both He and BMitch....
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #149
WillH
The Starter

I think Cooleys breakdown of players performance is awesome. He goes into great detail on what specifically in their technique they did well or didn't do well. Hand positioning, getting to landmarks, accelerating at the right time, foot movement, choosing routes, etc.

He might be a little biased, but it seems like he tries to keep that in check and does a good job of it.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #150
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Silverback has been damn impressive so far this year. Sometimes we seem to take his play for granted, but he is a top 5 tackle in the league. Yes top 5

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 09-24-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Closed Thread