Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL Rumor Central: Does Vick have a future in Frisco?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Post NFL Rumor Central: Does Vick have a future in Frisco?

You know how people are always asking these days if there's a team that would take a chance on Vick, well now there might be an answer. Kind of surprised though that it's Frisco as there seems to be a segment of the population that's HUGE on animal rights. Of course "liberals" tend to be more forgiving and he'll have the support of his childhood hero, Steve Young, as well as the possibility of being reunited with the coach (Dan Reeves) that drafted him, but either way we'll see.

However I think this blog entry said it best:
"Folks typically overstate the impact of San Francisco's liberal values. But people in the Bay Area DO NOT mess with animals. The 49ers will be booed roundly and frequently by the locals if Vick is acquired. Roundly and
frequently. (And actually, Raiders fans might boo even more roundly and frequently.)"

Does Vick have a future in Frisco?

Michael Vick | Falcons | Interested: 49ers?

On his NFL.com blog, Adam Schefter has speculated that the San Francisco 49ers may be angling to bring former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick into the mix to be the team's new field general, should Vick be reinstated by the league when his prison sentence is over.

Schefter notes that the team will interview Dan Reeves today for its vacant offensive coordinator position, and Reeves was the coach of the Falcons when the team traded for a No. 1 overall draft selection to take Vick in 2001. Two other coaches the 49ers have pursued for the vacant offensive coordinator position - Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson and former Falcons wide receivers coach Mike Johnson - also have ties to Vick.

The team has also signed Jimmy Williams, Vick's former teammate at Virginia Tech, who lives in Hampton, Virginia near one of Vick's homes.
In 2008, San Francisco's passing attack ranked No. 13 in the league with 3,379 yards through the air. Shaun Hill and J.T. O'Sullivan combined for 21 touchdowns and 19 interceptions, and were sacked 55 times. In 2006, Vick threw for 2,474 yards with 20 touchdowns and 13 interceptions and also ran for 1,039 yards and two touchdowns.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 01-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
tdSKINS1
Impact Rookie

Re: NFL Rumor Central: Does Vick have a future in Frisco?

I'm a die hard Hokie fan, and I've watched Michael play a lot and yes he messed up in a big way, however this man is one of the most electricfying athletes I have ever seen. He served his time, and deserves a second chance. Anyone who thinks he does not is a dumbass for thinking that. He is incredible and the Niners would definetly be upgrading with MV
#21 Never Forget
HOKIES!
tdSKINS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdSKINS1 View Post
I'm a die hard Hokie fan, and I've watched Michael play a lot and yes he messed up in a big way, however this man is one of the most electricfying athletes I have ever seen. He served his time, and deserves a second chance. Anyone who thinks he does not is a dumbass for thinking that. He is incredible and the Niners would definetly be upgrading with MV
I remember when he first came down here in Atlanta he really was an exciting player. From his first game as a starter against Green Bay where he rolled out left and hit a guy across the other side of the field with a 20 yard pass that ended up with the ball traveling about 50 yards to the NFC playoffs against the Eagles(first time around) where he ran up the middle and got a touchdown while getting decked by two guys only to be called back on a holding penalty.

However once people started out learning how to defend him (ie Tampa) he just ended up being a mediocre quarterback that actually seemed to be holding his team back due to the fact that he couldn't throw the ball well. I think that was the key, when you thought of him as a QB that could also run then you had problems defending him out of fear. However once people started realizing how poor he was at reading defenses they saw a really fast guy that couldn't throw very accurately.

I admit it might be interesting to see him San Fran but the guy doesn't exactly deserve it.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

If Pacman got through all that he did and could still play (even though he wasn't really sentenced in the same), Vick should also get to come back.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
dmek25
MVP

the guy did his time. i think he deserves a second chance. but who ever gives him a shot is in for a P.R. nightmare
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

lI think what he did was reprehensible. Fine, he served his time. Does he hold the same values? Don't know. Don't know if he could ever convince me that such a complete disregard for fellow living beings and for the law can ever be changed.

You want to give him a second chance? Whatever, just not on my team and I will wish failure and humilation on any team that takes him.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
44ever

Quote:
Anyone that thinks he does not is a Dumbass? Really. You've just insulted at least half or more of the Warpathers with that statement. If you have children go buy them a Vick jersey to wear. Were not talking about getting his job back at McDonalds. Were talking the NFL. I'd rather see the job go to some one that appreciates the rare opportunity to play in this league. I don't care how good he played QB. Guess I'm a dumbass.

Some of his dogs thought he was most electricfying too.

I respect anyones opinion on the subject for or against Vick. Just ask you to extend the same respect

Last edited by 44ever; 01-25-2009 at 10:52 AM.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Dan Reeves himself on NFL radio said "Michael Vick is not an NFL Quarterback." I wouldn't think this happens.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:

You now what's really funny is eveyones values. Some are stead fast and do not want any one with a marred past. Good for them. They have set high values. Maybe too high maybe not. Others would hire a drug lord. lol.

Vick kills an animal and goes to jail and awaits reinstatement. Pacman has people shot ...with a gun....in order to kill....and he gets reinstated and people are fine with him playing. Whether with their team or someone elses. I think I would rather take back the man who hurt the animal over trying to take another human beings life but those are my values.

In any case if we are going to say Vick is a monster and can't change then we might as well not let any of the other prisoners go either. I mean who wants a pediphile on the streets or a murderer, or a theif, or perhaps a rapist. If we are not going to give people a second chance then we better start building more prisons in everyones back yard to house everyone.

If we as a society are not willing to make sure he gets the counceling and perhaps be a spokesman or speak about what he did wrong in order to help stop this very act from accuring again and humbling him then where do you think he's going to go right back to in order to make money again?

Now I'm the last anyone would want to call a bible thumper but for those of you who hold high morals....

To open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me” (Acts 26:18).

and

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13).

again I'm the last who should be called a bible thumper for I hardly go to church at all unless dragged by family but I do believe we as a society should be finding other ways to punish evil besides simply putting people in prison and not teaching them society norms, values and getting them counceling for their actions. I agree there is a % of the population that will not or can not be changed but to simply say "yea he may have learned a lesson but forget about giving him a chance" is obserd. If all busineses looked at Vick this way then how is he going to support himself or his family? I guess we should be saying thats his problem, he should have thought about it ahead of time?

I say reinstate him. Make him give a portion of his money to animal rights organizations, and force him to do commercials to humble him. Keep him on a tight leash as they did Pacman and Vicks own actions will speak louder then words. If he volunteered his services to an animal rights organization then perhaps some would change their way of thinking about him.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

vick has raider all over him (so does plaxico)
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
You now what's really funny is eveyones values. Some are stead fast and do not want any one with a marred past. Good for them. They have set high values. Maybe too high maybe not. Others would hire a drug lord. lol.

Vick kills an animal and goes to jail and awaits reinstatement. Pacman has people shot ...with a gun....in order to kill....and he gets reinstated and people are fine with him playing. Whether with their team or someone elses. I think I would rather take back the man who hurt the animal over trying to take another human beings life but those are my values.

In any case if we are going to say Vick is a monster and can't change then we might as well not let any of the other prisoners go either. I mean who wants a pediphile on the streets or a murderer, or a theif, or perhaps a rapist. If we are not going to give people a second chance then we better start building more prisons in everyones back yard to house everyone.

If we as a society are not willing to make sure he gets the counceling and perhaps be a spokesman or speak about what he did wrong in order to help stop this very act from accuring again and humbling him then where do you think he's going to go right back to in order to make money again?

Now I'm the last anyone would want to call a bible thumper but for those of you who hold high morals....

To open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me” (Acts 26:18).

and

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13).

again I'm the last who should be called a bible thumper for I hardly go to church at all unless dragged by family but I do believe we as a society should be finding other ways to punish evil besides simply putting people in prison and not teaching them society norms, values and getting them counceling for their actions. I agree there is a % of the population that will not or can not be changed but to simply say "yea he may have learned a lesson but forget about giving him a chance" is obserd. If all busineses looked at Vick this way then how is he going to support himself or his family? I guess we should be saying thats his problem, he should have thought about it ahead of time?

I say reinstate him. Make him give a portion of his money to animal rights organizations, and force him to do commercials to humble him. Keep him on a tight leash as they did Pacman and Vicks own actions will speak louder then words. If he volunteered his services to an animal rights organization then perhaps some would change their way of thinking about him.
Wow that's quite a post SBXVII. Personally I don't think Vick should have went to prison in the first place. But now that he has, if he were to be reinstated he should have the same rights as every other player in the NFL. Otherwise he served his sentance in vain. To force him to give a portion of his money or to make commercials is still treating him like a felon and to admit that he is different and outside of the "NFL Standard" He payed for his crime.

As far as Pac Man or OJ Simpson or any felon I feel the same way. They have the right to make a living. Just not in the NFL. IMO

Nothing wrong with being called a Bible thumper Brother
John 3:16
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^ true and if they can go into there and change their ways and be good citizens then good for them.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
^ true and if they can go into there and change their ways and be good citizens then good for them.
Fair enough.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

44, I'm not sure what else Vick went to school for? Hopefully he did not go for basketweaving to simply be able to play ball but if he did then society is saying we are not going to allow you to utilize the only talent you have. and this happens to many "felons" when they have to fill out an aplication that asks if they were ever convicted of a felony. It used to be felons could go to construction work or some type of manual labor after being convicted and still make ends meet but even now I'm seeing more of them not getting hired simply due to that marr on their record.

The NFL is not the Gov. or church body. It's not the Pope mobile and should kick off anyone who has committed a sin. It's a sport. A game. Entertainment. No different then watching Lost or your lady friend/wife/girlfriend watching a soap opera, or watching a symphany play. Simple entertainment. I do agree they are role models but we as parents should be teaching our kids who they should look up to not blindly allowing our kids to pick truely sick individuals. I really don't want my child to think the only way to get into the media is to kill animals or shoot people. I don't want him to think the only way to make big money is to play football. I'd like to think he has picked a player due to his talent and Characteristics. Should that player let him down as Vick has done alot of our youth I would hope my kids would pick another person but still respect what talent Vick had or has.

Now if his only talent was to breed dogs then I would have issues with him going back to breeding dogs. Football has nothing to do with his side venture of breeding and fighting dogs. No different then Michael Jorden and his betting. He was still a great player and probably could still run circles around some in the league. What if Vick decided to hang up his cleats but wanted to get into coaching? What if he said he would like to start at the bottom and learn how to coach.

As for having to give money to charity.....yes he has paid his crime but what if the NFL commissioner said I'll reinstate you if you give a portion to charity and do infomertials. At this point he's given an option. Give and play or don't and don't play. but by doing so it allows Vick to come back and it makes the NFL look good as being animal friendly and also punishing Vick and forcing him to humble himself. The only concern the Commish will have is how will this make the NFL look. Can he bring back a huge talent and still make the NFL look good? If not then I bet the Commish says no way for reinstatement.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
MiraclesHappen07
Special Teams

I for one, want to see vick back in the league. I know he had his problems, but hey its not like he killed a human being. Now i dont like that he helped in the dog fighting bussiness, i love dogs! but funny thing about all this is it got more publicity than as if he killed someone. So im willing to give him another chance, i wish him the best of luck and i hope he can become a better Qb.

"Football can like a box of chocolates, nevers know what your gona get any given sunday"-From zach williams, revised verison from Forest Gump
MiraclesHappen07 is offline   Reply With Quote