Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

For all you D Hall lovers

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #61
44ever

Re: For all you D Hall lovers

We are making way too much of an issue of Halls on field behavior IMO. The guy has been very professional on and off the field since signing with the Skins. I don't see the need for concern here. We would be fools not to sign him IMO. Or we can continue to talk smack about how our FO "doesnt recongnize talent" or "let that one get away" ect... The Redskins need Hall, not the other way around.

Most INTs, since 2005
Champ Bailey 22
Asante Samuel 22
DeAngelo Hall 18
Darren Sharper 17
Charles Woodson 17

Last edited by 44ever; 02-17-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #62
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
We are making way too much of an issue of Halls on field behavior IMO. The guy has been very professional on and off the field since signing with the Skins. I don't see the need for concern here. We would be fools not to sign him IMO. Or we can continue to talk smack about how our FO "doesnt recongnize talent" or "let that one get away" ect... The Redskins need Hall, not the other way around.
Exactly
Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #63
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Hall of course, is only 25, so you could throw out the term "upside" with him, as he has plenty of time to grow.

But I would caution the organization that buys talent for it's future value, as you have quite the history on the guy which suggests that he's a questionable investment. Everyone has a price, but Snyder's been dealing closer to the merchandise revenue (MRP) expectation than how good Hall actually is on the field.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Any agent worth his salt will float his client's star potential in order to get him paid. But very often, you overpay the talent on the field because you can make a profit off the field, and then your coaches play players not because they are more deserving, but because they feel like they have to let them justify their contract.

And we absolutely have no chance to handle this properly on the coaching end. So Hall is a huge gamble for us because if he doesn't pan out, he's just going to cost us wins for many, many years into the future.

What do you define as not panning out? How will hall singlehandedly cost us wins for many years in the future? you use the term win and year in the plural sense, which seems to imply Hall somehow has the ability to singlehandely lose more than one game per year for us, for atleast 3 years. Please spell this out for me because i dont see how Hall, even if he ends up playing at a lowly fred smoot level (which is HIGHLY unlikely), would singlehandedly result in us losing multiple games over a course of several years? it seems to be a ridiculous, outlandish statement, and i would really like to know what youre basing it on.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #64
53Fan
Franchise Player

Hall has been immature most of his career and just like a spoiled child he has gotten away with a lot of bad behavior in the past because he was allowed to. Oakland sent him packing, and to be benched or let go by the Redskins should he sign with us, would pretty much stain the rest of his career. It seems to me that Los lost his starting job after complaining that the players were not put in position to make plays in a game late in the year. I can't imagine Blache putting up with too much crap from Hall, or the other players putting up with stupid penalties either. I know Fletch wouldn't. He did get a couple of personal fouls out of frustration last year but I was surprised there wasn't more of a reaction from him about Springs stepping in front of him and screwing up an easy interception. He has talent. What he has lacked is discipline. I would hope that Jerry Gray is being asked for his imput on this and I would have to respect whatever he feels about Hall. If Los could hold on to the damn ball, Hall might not be as attractive to us but this is where we are. I would offer him a good contract but not break the bank on him. If he really wants to play for us and is not just after the money, we shouldn't have to.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #65
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Hall has been immature most of his career and just like a spoiled child he has gotten away with a lot of bad behavior in the past because he was allowed to. Oakland sent him packing, and to be benched or let go by the Redskins should he sign with us, would pretty much stain the rest of his career. It seems to me that Los lost his starting job after complaining that the players were not put in position to make plays in a game late in the year. I can't imagine Blache putting up with too much crap from Hall, or the other players putting up with stupid penalties either. I know Fletch wouldn't. He did get a couple of personal fouls out of frustration last year but I was surprised there wasn't more of a reaction from him about Springs stepping in front of him and screwing up an easy interception. He has talent. What he has lacked is discipline. I would hope that Jerry Gray is being asked for his imput on this and I would have to respect whatever he feels about Hall. If Los could hold on to the damn ball, Hall might not be as attractive to us but this is where we are. I would offer him a good contract but not break the bank on him. If he really wants to play for us and is not just after the money, we shouldn't have to.

Hall was only 19 when he came into the league, so it shouldnt come as a surprise that he had some maturity issues early on in his career. but for goodness sakes, hes 25 now. most guys do ALOT of maturing in that time period. He's gone on the record saying he was miserable in Oakland and the experience showed him money isnt everything. He was as close to a model citizen as you want your starting corner to be. every corner gets a personal foul now and then - i seem to remember the "beloved" carlos rogers getting a couple this year - yet why is no one talking about his character and maturity? Hall has also gone on record saying how much he looks up to Fletcher and asks him for advice. Hall is saying and DOING all the right things. He has done enough to show most - if not all - of his maturity problems are a thing of the past. He's certainly done enough to show he's more mature than Carlos Rogers is at this point, with all his complaining about his contract, playing time, and even demanding a trade.

And what about our other corner, Springs? He's as selfish and greedy as they come - yet no one criticizes his character. Looking at our corner situation, we have two young, talented guys in Hall and Rogers. Some people say its an either/or situation - but i dont think we should have to chose between them. I think we should extend Hall and keep Rogers, atleast one more year... but if given a choice, i'd pick Hall in a heartbeat and not look back. He is - by far - the better (and more mature) corner.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #66
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Hall was only 19 when he came into the league, so it shouldnt come as a surprise that he had some maturity issues early on in his career. but for goodness sakes, hes 25 now. most guys do ALOT of maturing in that time period. He's gone on the record saying he was miserable in Oakland and the experience showed him money isnt everything. He was as close to a model citizen as you want your starting corner to be. every corner gets a personal foul now and then - i seem to remember the "beloved" carlos rogers getting a couple this year - yet why is no one talking about his character and maturity? Hall has also gone on record saying how much he looks up to Fletcher and asks him for advice. Hall is saying and DOING all the right things. He has done enough to show most - if not all - of his maturity problems are a thing of the past. He's certainly done enough to show he's more mature than Carlos Rogers is at this point, with all his complaining about his contract, playing time, and even demanding a trade.

And what about our other corner, Springs? He's as selfish and greedy as they come - yet no one criticizes his character. Looking at our corner situation, we have two young, talented guys in Hall and Rogers. Some people say its an either/or situation - but i dont think we should have to chose between them. I think we should extend Hall and keep Rogers, atleast one more year... but if given a choice, i'd pick Hall in a heartbeat and not look back. He is - by far - the better (and more mature) corner.
Agree 100% with you on this one BHA

Most INTs, since 2005
Champ Bailey 22
Asante Samuel 22
DeAngelo Hall 18
Darren Sharper 17
Charles Woodson 17

Last edited by 44ever; 02-17-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #67
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I would give Springs a break. His father has been in a coma for over a year and I'm sure those hospital bills are pretty hefty and I can pretty much say that he's helping his mom in paying for those bills that keep rolling in and probably has no help from the players union. Maybe that's why he's greedy and doesn't want pitty from anyone so he acts this way?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #68
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would give Springs a break. His father has been in a coma for over a year and I'm sure those hospital bills are pretty hefty and I can pretty much say that he's helping his mom in paying for those bills that keep rolling in and probably has no help from the players union. Maybe that's why he's greedy and doesn't want pitty from anyone so he acts this way?
are you serious? his father played in the NFL. The springs family is loaded, with or without Shawns help. And shawns father has nothing to do with the fact that he'll miss a game if there's a stiff breeze - they guys #1 priority is money and he's not going to play (to earn his money) if he doesnt want to. he has no "heart" and he sets a bad example for the other players. Im sure Carlos has learned alot from him the past 4 years and observing his attitude could very well have contributed to Carlos attitude now in demanding a trade.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #69
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Agree 100% with you on this one BHA

Most INTs, since 2005
Champ Bailey 22
Asante Samuel 22
DeAngelo Hall 18
Darren Sharper 17
Charles Woodson 17
Hall is in some very good company there. Why anyone wouldnt want him is beyond me.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #70
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
are you serious? his father played in the NFL. The springs family is loaded, with or without Shawns help. And shawns father has nothing to do with the fact that he'll miss a game if there's a stiff breeze - they guys #1 priority is money and he's not going to play (to earn his money) if he doesnt want to. he has no "heart" and he sets a bad example for the other players. Im sure Carlos has learned alot from him the past 4 years and observing his attitude could very well have contributed to Carlos attitude now in demanding a trade.
Who are we to say that Springs has no heart? Who are we to judge that his calf injury was some made up excuse. Who are we to act like just because he's an NFL player with money that flying nearly cross country every week to visit your comatose father, dealing with your stepmom's breast cancer, and his own impending divorce and custody battle. He has no heart? Please. He nearly gave up his career (including the money) to donate his kidney to his ailing father. A man with no heart doesn't do that.

Where was all this talk of "no heart" when Springs played all 16 games in 2007 and had 4 INTs in the last month of the season to help catapult us into the playoffs?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #71
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are mistaken. When his father played he made a decent salary, I wouldn't say he broke the bank. As for injuries, the guy is injury prone; trust me, I'm not trying to cover for him.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #72
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Who are we to say that Springs has no heart? Who are we to judge that his calf injury was some made up excuse. Who are we to act like just because he's an NFL player with money that flying nearly cross country every week to visit your comatose father, dealing with your stepmom's breast cancer, and his own impending divorce and custody battle. He has no heart? Please. He nearly gave up his career (including the money) to donate his kidney to his ailing father. A man with no heart doesn't do that.

Where was all this talk of "no heart" when Springs played all 16 games in 2007 and had 4 INTs in the last month of the season to help catapult us into the playoffs?
Well said. Thank you!!

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #73
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:

I agree with alot of what you say BHA. As I said I expected more of a reaction on the play where Springs messed up his INT but he didn't get bent out of shape and throw his teammate under the bus. A good sign to me. If Gray wants to sign him I'm all for it. I just don't want to break the bank on him. I've watch D.Hall all through HS and college. I live 5 minutes from Deep Creek High School where we both graduated. I hope he has matured. He had a lot of maturing to do. He was a great HS player but even then he was a selfish prima donna who cost us the state championship one year. Granted we couldn't have got there without him, but a dumbass selfish mistake contributed alot to us losing the game. With that said, I believe he is in the best situation for him in his entire pro career. I believe he's in a locker room that is condusive to him being more of a team player. As for Carlos and Springs, I think they've both taken their share of critizism and rightfully so. All I'm saying is we need to give him a good contract but not an unreasonable one. If he's gone on record as saying money isn't everything as you say, then we shouldn't have to break the bank on him. He's also stated he wants to play here. So I wouldn't necessarily treat him like we need him but he doesn't need us.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #74
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

i was speaking of his play on the field and his contributions to the team when i said he has no heart. His personal life is irrelevant. 2007 is irrelevant. I'm talking about now. players who really care about the game and the team play through minor injuries because they know their team needs them. If Springs had heart, perhaps he would have done more to help the team get to the playoffs in 2008. By all appearances, Springs milks any injury he has for whatever its worth. Its also been confirmed (or if not, its widely beleived) that he was the mole leaking info to the press a couple seasons ago, bad-mouthing the team. Before the 2008 season, Springs said he seriously considered retiring but was talked out of it. Maybe he'll save us the trouble of cutting him and retire this year. By all appearances, his heart is no longer in the game and he's only playing for the money.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #75
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think there is no way to say with confidence that someone has or doesn't have heart on the field. If I recall correctly, when Brunell was playing hurt back in 2004 (or maybe it was '06) he was being ripped for being selfish and refusing to sit out when he was clearly hurt. But I guess he had heart.

Selfishly, I'd like the team to keep Springs. He can still play the game and is one of our best and smartest players when he's on the field (which is more often than not). But I also know that from a monetary standpoint it may be best to let him go. And I know that Shawn Springs has too much going on with his life to need to put up with fans accusing him of having no heart every step he takes.