Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #76
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I know my fellow half wit.. It isn't about holding a grudge. But some people think they know everything. throw out stats instead of having a decent debate. Thinking they know everything. ON this one I was right about them keeping Mason. I am still thinking I am right about Rock needing to go. But that will have to wait until next year. But now I am thinking either Rock or Betts could have been gone and we wouldn't miss a beat....But anyways.

Here is my next prediction. Most of the things I say are common sense. I dont let my feelings for a players cloud my vision for our "team's overall success"

Next year. We are going to draft a RB or get one in free agency and Rock & Betts will be gone.

Write it down..
I think the bigger issue here is...how's Clinton Portis going to deal with this.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #77
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
"I talked to Rock today, and the first thing I told him was, 'No question, your major contribution is special teams. No doubt about that,'" Smith said. "You're a special-teams player. So if we go three active on Sunday, then it'll be Clinton, Ladell and Rock. So I told Rock he's really No. 3, because on game day we only have three.

"But let's say something happens to Clinton or Ladell. If they get hurt and can't play, Mason would come into that spot. It wouldn't be, all of a sudden, Rock is No. 2 and Mason is No. 3. That's just the way we explained it to him. But Rock is going to be active every week."

After speaking with Smith, Cartwright seemed to accept the situation. "I have to look at it like, 'What butters my bread?' And that's special teams," Cartwright said. "I'm satisfied with my role. I'm satisfied with having a job. I'm perfectly happy. I'm a special-teams guy and I'm here for the team."

Now thats more like it, I think he just got caught up in the heat of the moment. All of these guys are competitors, so I understand his frustration.
Can we get a new special teams coach? Shouldn't Rock know the special teams is his bread and butter since he doesn't do squat at RB. I think Danny Smith is a little touched. Rock is gone next year. Even if his spot was vacant. We didn't ahve to use it for mason. Since we kept 2 QB's. We could use it for a OL or LB. Something we need more than a one dimensional ST player. If we had Thomas returning kicks or anyone else for that matter. We could use Rock space to pick up another player we need on the OL or LB. I just am tired for this love fest. I love my team as a whole. Not as individuals. I have my favorite players of course. But if they are not producing. Then oh well.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #78
wilsowilso

Quote:
Can we get a new special teams coach? Shouldn't Rock know the special teams is his bread and butter since he doesn't do squat at RB. I think Danny Smith is a little touched. Rock is gone next year. Even if his spot was vacant. We didn't ahve to use it for mason. Since we kept 2 QB's. We could use it for a OL or LB. Something we need more than a one dimensional ST player. If we had Thomas returning kicks or anyone else for that matter. We could use Rock space to pick up another player we need on the OL or LB. I just am tired for this love fest. I love my team as a whole. Not as individuals. I have my favorite players of course. But if they are not producing. Then oh well.
So what u r saying is that you really really like Rock.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #79
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think the bigger issue here is...how's Clinton Portis going to deal with this.
I think Clinton knows he is getting older. I think he really only hopes to play liek 2 more years after this one. Thought I recalled him saying that last year or so in an interview. I may be wrong. Clinton will be fine. He lobbied for Mason last year. He knows he can't play forever. That's why I am so pissed with the Love fest for Rock and Betts. They are BOTH OLDER THAN CP (29). Then people are getting mad because we bring in Mason. We need youth at the RB position. How are both of your back-ups older than the starter. What does that hold for the future?

For Rock opening his mouth in that article and being unappreciative that we kept him and for betts non-production as well as Rock no producing at the RB spot and being a average KR. Both will be gone next year.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #80
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
so what u r saying is that you really really like rock.

lmao.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #81
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Yeah that discussion also was if Mason was going to make the team. He did. Fin.
As one who doubted the likelihood of Mason making the team even if we kept 5 RB's, I congratulate you on your brilliant foresight. As has been discussed, it appears that the coaches saw something in Mason that those of us who disparaged his chances did not. He is, very clearly, the 3rd RB on the team with Rock as the "emergency" 3rd RB (much as ARE is the "emergency" 3rd QB).

It is also clear, to me, that much of the argument against Rock was that he was a crappy return man and that his ST skills weren't important enough for him to be on the roster. Both you and SB took pains to point out how crappy he is and that his ST abilities should not permit him to stay on the roster instead of Mason.

As to the merits of the various sides of these positions, it appeared to me there were valid points all around - along with a lot of name indignant remarks. Rather than weigh the value of Mason running skills v. Rock's ST prowess, however, the coaching staff simply called it a wash and kept them both.

Next year, I would not be surprised to see Rock gone and, depending on his cap numbers, the same for Betts. I would expect, in fact, serious challenges to be mounted for both their roster spots (2nd RB and ST's Guy).

As for this year, however, I hope that CP, Betts and Mason each have a million rushing yards & a gazillion TD's and that Rock returns all KO's for TD's and makes a bazillion ST teams tackles that cause a quadamagillion fumbles - all of which he returns for TD's.

I mean, really, does it matter who was right at this point?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #82
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

If Rock was that great he'd not have to worry about losing time! I think we draft a stud running back next year to replace CP. Rock is gone, along with Betts or Marcus.

I see it like this, 2010 = CP, Mason, Drafted RB.

Hopefully they'll get a power house bruiser and not a small over achiever.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #83
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
It's not a love fest for Rock, just like it wasn't a hate campaign against Mason. At least for my part, it was (and is), however, a sense of frustration over your insistence that Rock's ST's contributions are easily replaced. As has been acknoweldged by his teammates and coaches (and pointed out here several times), he is anything but "one-dimensional" on ST's. Any analysis of the stats shows that he has been a solid and consistent KR who provides ball security and solid field position. Further, Smith and teammates have pointed out that it would take several players to fill the various roles he now occupies on ST. He is a solid and positive part of the team.

Yup, he is getting older and his contract is up this year (I think). Hopefullly, someone steps up this year to become the new ST guy so that his loss next year will be mitigated. Not sure where that person will come from, I just hope he is on the roster.

Stop the hate. Love the Rock.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #84
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
If Rock was that great he'd not have to worry about losing time! I think we draft a stud running back next year to replace CP. Rock is gone, along with Betts or Marcus.

I see it like this, 2010 = CP, Mason, Drafted RB.

Hopefully they'll get a power house bruiser and not a small over achiever.
One thing I do worry about for next years draft is that with RB being an obvious need and a skill position, we will draft that over the best OL. I think it galls Vinny to pick up a top 10 type lineman. I just don't understand why.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #85
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I just saw a clip of this kid from USC even though it makes me kind of weary saying that. lol. But does anything know anything about the RB. I think he is one to watch. Was also suprised by the play of the QB from Miami. Needs to do better on the interceptions. But that game was awesome. I am sure our guys from the U got a kick out of it.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #86
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
One thing I do worry about for next years draft is that with RB being an obvious need and a skill position, we will draft that over the best OL. I think it galls Vinny to pick up a top 10 type lineman. I just don't understand why.
I don't think they will pick up a rb first in the draft. I think we are going to be looking to get a back through free agency first and foremost. You know an interesting back I would like to have and I dont know anything about his contract. But if there was a back I would love in our system it would be Slayton (Texans). We will draft OL with our 1st pick (maybe second). Then take who is the next best RB on the board for our second. Then try to stock up on some O-lineman. But I woulnd'tbe suprised if we picked up a LB for the first pick. But they might pick one with the second. Depending how deep the pool is. College season is just underway.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #87
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I just saw a clip of this kid from USC even though it makes me kind of weary saying that. lol. But does anything know anything about the RB. I think he is one to watch. Was also suprised by the play of the QB from Miami. Needs to do better on the interceptions. But that game was awesome. I am sure our guys from the U got a kick out of it.
Well looking for a clip of the guy from USC maybe their RBS looked good because San Jose State sucked..Lol.

IF not they have two nice RBs. #4 & #26

I don't care as long as we pick up a quality RB in the draft or free agency (that is fairly young).
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #88
stu_nna
Special Teams

Today on Sport Fix the ESPN980 show, Frank Hanrahan said that Vinnie wasn't in favor of keeping Rock. The coaching staff was though and they won out.
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #89
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_nna View Post
Today on Sport Fix the ESPN980 show, Frank Hanrahan said that Vinnie wasn't in favor of keeping Rock. The coaching staff was though and they won out.

You know Danny Smith lobbied for him to stay. Think about it. As a head coach you "may" let your other coordinators/assistant coaches have a little input in who is cut or kept. Danny Smith lost Khary Campbell & James Thrash. So I am sure he was like, "Guys you got to give me somebody. I've lost two of my best special teams players". I think that was the reason. The coaching staff probably had different opinions. If not he would never have been considered a bubble player.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21