The Starter

Don's Crystal Ball Week 1 Picks

THE DON'S

Crystal Ball

2009 SEASON

WEEK 1 PICKS

By DonCanabis/D'BOYZ

Analyst/Godfather

Ok finally the wait is over, the grills have been cleaned the Jerseys have been taken out of the closets and dust has been removed from the foam fingers and hats... The smell of chicken wings and barbecue is in the air; yes 2009 kickoff is on the way, you can stop crying no more Sunday's with the wife and her friends, for the next 22 weeks Sunday’s are reserved for that couch , beer in one hand, chicken wings in the other, God I love football. Let the Games Begin!!!

Tennessee at Pittsburgh -5 .5 Ovr/Und 35
For the past 5 years all SB winners have won their first Thursday debut game and if Pittsburgh is known for something is tradition; so don’t expect them to break it. Tennessee had their number last year… but do you believe the steeler players and fans forget the disrespect the Titans players had to the terrible towels? I don’t think so it’s going to be a long night Collins.
Straight: PIT
Spread: PIT
Ovr/Und: Ovr

Miami at Atlanta -4 Ovr/Und 43
The two feel good stories from last year, it will be hard for both teams to repeat what they did last year because of the schedule and division they play. Atlanta made a big overhaul on defense they went young and fast, this move is for the future and will have their problems at first. Chad and that offense looked impressive in the preseason and their defense got better. Take the visiting team.
Straight: Mia
Spread: Mia
Ovr/Und: Und

Kansas City at Baltimore -9.5 Ovr/Und 37
I like the moves Haley has done to rebuild this team, and it took big cojones to fire the OC one week before the season (it also made other HC step up) but when you don’t like what you’re seeing you have to make the move. I don’t like the Oline especially against the aggressive Baltimore defense we don’t know if Cassel will play or if it will be smart to play him injured against this team.
With all that in mind take the home team.
Straight: Bal
Spread: Bal

Philadelphia at Carolina 1 Ovr/Und 44
Both teams have been plague with the injury bug. Philadelphia who looks strong during the offseason has big questions in the Oline and defense but McNabb has a tendency to make good teams look bad. I believe the downfall of Delhome has begun but they do have a killer running game. Take the home team in week 1 68% of the home teams take the W.
Straight: Car
Spread: Car

Denver at Cincinnati -4 Ovr/Und 44.5
Right Now it looks like both K. Orton and C. Palmer will play Sunday but the biggest question is how their injuries will affect their game. Denver has major issues yes we all knew that B. Marshall would be reinstated before the game and we knew eventually he would shut up and play but still that lockeroom is divided and Denver has bigger issues than just the health of their new QB. Take Cin.
Straight: Cin
Spread: Cin

Minnesota at Cleveland 3.5 Ovr/Und 39.5
Look I get you don’t want to tell the media who the starting QB will be (B.Quinn) because you don’t want to tip your hand to the other team (B.Quinn) but not tell the team that’s just dumb. It looks like the William twins are going to play and that defense is going to be a nightmare to either QB. Way to start your final HC job Eric.
Straight: Min
Spread: Min

New York Jets at Houston -4.5 Ovr/Und 43
The Mark Sanchez era begins Sunday, it all looks like Schuabb will play but we don’t know what it’s the extent of his injury. I still have big question on Houston’s defense and I do expect an aggressive defense from the Jets it’s going to be a close game there’s still some questions of what both teams can do. Hate week 1
Straight:Hou
Spread: NYJ

Jacksonville at Indianapolis -7 Ovr/Und 41.5
These are usually close good games and there’re BIG question about the colts Oline manning has been hit more this preseason that in some regular seasons. Mighty Mouse is hurt and Gerrard hasn’t look like he did two years ago… They have rebuilt that D-line and Oline but I do believe they’re one year away of really contending.
Straight: Ind
Spread: Ind

Detroit at New Orleans -13.5 Ovr/Und 48.5
This is a big line for a week 1 game but when you went 0-16 and have a rookie QB you have to expect that. There are questions about the health of the Saints rb’s but the backups have looked good so there’s not a lot to worry. I’m not a Stafford believer myself I do believe they will win a few games this year but it won’t be pretty at start.
Straight: NO
Spread: NO
Ovr/Und: UND

Dallas at Tampa Bay 4.5 Ovr/Und 40
I don’t like the firing of the OC for week 1 when you’re a new HC and have zero Offensive background. I understand things didn’t look good but this move should have been done weeks ago. TB is rebuilding we all know that, Leftwich hasn’t even practice with his WR. They got a good running game but they still have ways to go. People are questioning Dallas not having any real go to guy since TO was released but, they seemed to forget how important Witten is to this offense and how much more balance is going to be. The biggest question in Dallas is depth and if the injury bug start hitting Valley ranch you can smell trouble but right now it’s not the case.
Straight: Dal
Spread: Dal

San Francisco at Arizona -6.5 Ovr/Und 47
SF finished strong last year but none was stronger than the Cardinals I expect them to start where they left on. The 49ers have a good defense that can present some trouble to the Cardinals but this team is going to be too pumped and has too many weapons for the guys of the Sunny State.
Straight: Ari
Spread: Ari

Washington at New York Giants -6.5 Ovr/Und 47.5
The Redskins haven’t click offensively for the amount of weapons they have it just hasn’t show up on the field. The Giants have some trouble with their front 4 once what it look as the most dominant front 4 now it looks like Swiss cheese. But Eli and that defense has had their number in the past years. Take the under in this game. Trust me the Jim Zorn project ends this year.
Straight: NYG
Spread: NYG

St. Louis at Seattle : -7.5 Ovr/Und 40
Injuries hurt Seattle last year… The Rams where just bad one team got better guess who.

Straight: Sea
Spread: Sea

Chicago at Green Bay : -3.5 Ovr/Und 44.5
10 Months ago this didn’t look like a great match but after some changes it’s going to be a huge battle both teams looked good in preseason but GB looks to have more weapons if the defense doesn’t fail Rodgers like last year you can take the home team in a close match
Straight: GB
Spread: GB

Buffalo at New England : -11 Ovr/Und 48
I wasn’t going to take the spread for New England when the lines came out but with the firing of the OC and releasing the Starting LT I just don’t know what Juron is doing GL if you’re a Bills fan.
Straight: NE
Spread: NE

San Diego at Oakland : -9 Ovr/Und 44
We keep the tradition of BAD MNF great SNF for another year I don’t like Oakland and I hate the release of Garcia… The distractions of this week will hurt SD I expect a close game I na game that it shouldn’t be close.
Straight: SD
Spread: OAK
Ovr/Und: OVR

Hot Picks
Dallas (league)
Minnesota (league)
Baltimore (league)
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
New England
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Don's Crystal Ball Week 1 Picks

Quote:
Trust me the Jim Zorn project ends this year.
I disagree.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I disagree.
Eh, the Wade Phillips project ends this year as well.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I agree, the Jim Zorn Project will end this year. Starting with year 3...we can start to call it the Jim Zorn Era
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
No, I think the genius owner will keep him around...Jerry just can't be wrong!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I agree, the Jim Zorn Project will end this year. Starting with year 3...we can start to call it the Jim Zorn Era
Well done.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

your wrong about the Miami game.

"but do you believe the steeler players and fans forget the disrespect the Titans players had to the terrible towels?"

If your going to take the time/work to make this analyisis, try to make sense, how can someone have disrepect to something? Try "for".... are you from the U.S.?

Go Skins, that should've been your upset pick
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Schroeder View Post
If your going to take the time/work to make this analyisis, try to make sense, how can someone have disrepect to something? Try "for".... are you from the U.S.?
Please get a dictionary, you make us look uneducated. Spell check is a wonderful thing, learn to use it.....please.

Homepage | Dictionary.com
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

you cant "have disrespect 'to' something" moron

you can have disrespect for something

get off my stick
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
your wrong [SNIP]

If your going [SNIP]
Being a Grammar Nazi has its down side, you really have to be on point to do it.

[EPIC_FAIL]
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

that isn't as bad as saying "titans have disrepect to terrible towel".

your/you're ....big deal

I was mainly clowning because the dude is saying we're going to lose
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
your wrong about the Miami game.

"but do you believe the steeler players and fans forget the disrespect the Titans players had to the terrible towels?"

Go Skins, that should've been your upset pick
Im pretty sure he's Hispanic, but dont know if hes originally from the US or not. Either way its obvious what he is saying. That being the case why not just comment on the substance, not the small typos from someone who likely speaks English as a second language.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Perfect!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
D'BOYZ
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
totally agree
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
D'BOYZ
The Starter

Miami is my upset pick of the week