Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Where does D. Hall rate as a CB for the Redskins all time?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #91
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Where does D. Hall rate as a CB for the Redskins all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Compared to Rogers he is a playmaker lol. I think that's why some have an inflated view of him.
In the land of the blind, the one-eye man is king.
R.I.P. #21

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #92
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The Rogers mistake was not extending him in the middle of the 2008 season. By the time our new regime came in, Rogers was nearing his 30s, a mark he passed during the lockout. If we had extended him during his ascension, we'd have had him under contract in 2011, 12, and 13, and wouldn't have had to decide between paying him the obscene number he was asking for, and going in a different direction.

I think BA made the right decision to go younger. But its a non issue had Vinny done the intelligent thing a couple years ago. But he had worked himself into such a bad cap situation, that he didn't know if the money to sign players would be there until they decided to dump Marcus Washington, Jason Taylor, and Shawn Springs.
lol just funny to see those words in the same sentence
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #93
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And Anthony Washington...and Brian Davis...and Martin Mayhew...and AJ Johnson...and Tom Carter...
I remember Martin Mayhew and AJ Johnson...Tom Carter and Brian Davis not so much, I was living on the west coast for the latter part of Green's career.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #94
Bucket
Playmaker

Yes, but you have to be in position to actually make the INT, so a dropped INT counts as a pass deflection right?

D. Hall is the best cornerback on the Redskins, and the best playmaker on the Redskins defense. So he should receive #1 CB money, and he does. You can pull up 100 stats for why he isn't a great cornerback, and I can pull up 100 to why he is a great cornerback. It's all opinionated and will continue to be.

I've never seen Rogers do that, and only a handful of CB's in the league can make plays like that. He basically won both of those games for us last year.

Has D. Hall had some questionable performances in the past? Sure, but to argue that last year wasn't his best year of his career, and better then most CB's in the league is foolish. He keeps getting better, and at 27 years old he will continue to flourish in this defense. If he doesn't ahve 8-10 INT's this year I would be surprised.

Last edited by Bucket; 08-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #95
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I also remember Mayhew and Johnson does ring a bell (all beit a not very load one ). Was Mayhew not a good CB? My limitied memory as a child wants me to believe so. I may be thinking of the OLman though.... God I wish Icould go back and watch that time in Skins history as a slightly older young man. lol
Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #96
44ever

Cant compare anyone to Green and he's certainly no Bailey at the moment, but I like what Hall brings to the Skins. We need dynamic players. Yes he gets burnt but he also takes it the other way many times. I would have to see how he looks when playing with a more dynamic Redskins team as a whole. If he gets the support midfield, I believe we will have more Hall believers after this season.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #97
12thMan
MVP

I tellya, since when is getting interceptions a bad thing? Crazy talk.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #98
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Yes, but you have to be in position to actually make the INT, so a dropped INT counts as a pass deflection right?

D. Hall is the best cornerback on the Redskins, and the best playmaker on the Redskins defense. So he should receive #1 CB money, and he does. You can pull up 100 stats for why he isn't a great cornerback, and I can pull up 100 to why he is a great cornerback. It's all opinionated and will continue to be.

I've never seen Rogers do that, and only a handful of CB's in the league can make plays like that. He basically won both of those games for us last year.

Has D. Hall had some questionable performances in the past? Sure, but to argue that last year wasn't his best year of his career, and better then most CB's in the league is foolish. He keeps getting better, and at 27 years old he will continue to flourish in this defense. If he doesn't ahve 8-10 INT's this year I would be surprised.
No corner gave up more passing yards and no corner gave up more first downs + touchdowns than Hall last year. He also dropped three INTs. Keep that in mind if you suggest that he had a career year. The career year argument for Hall starts and ends with the fact that he scored a career high 2 TDs, most by the Redskins defense since 2007.

Also keep in mind that career years typically represent a high water point for a player and also suggest a decline in the next season.

If you started this thread and DON'T believe Hall is capable of playing better in 2011 than in 2010, lord help us all.

I am a buyer on your positioning argument, which is why I think Rogers was incredibly underrated and why Hall was never the no. 1 corner here before now.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #99
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Cant compare anyone to Green and he's certainly no Bailey at the moment, but I like what Hall brings to the Skins. We need dynamic players. Yes he gets burnt but he also takes it the other way many times. I would have to see how he looks when playing with a more dynamic Redskins team as a whole. If he gets the support midfield, I believe we will have more Hall believers after this season.
Twice. Many = twice.

Three counting the preseason.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #100
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
No corner gave up more passing yards and no corner gave up more first downs + touchdowns than Hall last year. He also dropped three INTs. Keep that in mind if you suggest that he had a career year. The career year argument for Hall starts and ends with the fact that he scored a career high 2 TDs, most by the Redskins defense since 2007.

Also keep in mind that career years typically represent a high water point for a player and also suggest a decline in the next season.

If you started this thread and DON'T believe Hall is capable of playing better in 2011 than in 2010, lord help us all.
I'm curious, and not trying to argue just for the sake of arguing but how many drops and TDs did Nnamdi and Revis each give up last year?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #101
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I tellya, since when is getting interceptions a bad thing? Crazy talk.
Who are you responding to?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #102
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I'm curious, and not trying to argue just for the sake of arguing but how many drops and TDs did Nnamdi and Revis each give up last year?
Nnamdi dropped one. Revis dropped either zero or one.

Revis gave up 320 passing yards. Nnamdi gave up 202 yards. Hall gave up 933. Nnamdi didn't give up a passing TD, according to FO. Revis I don't think gave up any, but I have no hard data on that.

Keep in mind that all of this is based on the idea that teams keep throwing at Hall, and pretty much no one goes after Revis and Nnamdi anymore. Hence why Hall had six INTs and Revis/Nnamdi had none.

Also they did not play any games against Kolb, Cutler, or Stafford, who accounted for all of Halls INTs in 2010.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 08-29-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #103
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Who are you responding to?
Just the general sentiment on the board.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #104
Bucket
Playmaker

Revis and Nnamdi were also not part of the 31st ranked defense last year which teams were able to run against at will, and the only pass rush we could ever assemble was with Orakpo. Not to mention his help over the top was Doughty, Horton, and Moore.

I do believe Hall will have a outstanding season. I started this thread because like I said, for every stat you bring out, I cant can continue to develop more also.

Of course your arguement about Hall not developing more positive for his negative is funny. Since when we winning two games basically by yourself not more positive? You are just focused more on the negative of Hall then anything else. I could do the same for almost every player on the Redskins roster.

Edit: This thread is about the general sense of where Hall ranks in the Redskins, not the league. Ofcourse I could name about 4-7 CB's better then D. Hall in the NFL, and Revis, Nhamdi are just two of them. I'm speaking on behalf that Hall is the best CB on the Redskins, and he deserves #1 money

Last edited by Bucket; 08-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #105
GTripp0012
Living Legend

By the way, the "accepted" yardage conversion for an interception, if you assume 100% credit to the interceptor, is 45 yards. You could argue that either way, but that's the number that people who work with stats seem to be comfortable with. No, it's not set in stone.

5 x 45 = 225 yards created by DeAngelo Hall through his interceptions in 2010. If you want to add in his two TDs at 20 yards per event, we're up to 265 yards of value "created" by DeAngelo Hall in 2010. Eyeballing that, this is somewhere between half a win and a win added to the 2010 Redskins thanks to positive plays by DeAngelo Hall.

This all assumes that Jay Cutler and Johnnie Knox/Devin Hester were at zero percent fault for those four INTs in Chicago.