Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins’ popularity wanes - PFT

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #61
diehard
The Starter

Re: Redskins’ popularity wanes - PFT

The season ain't even started yet and I'm being picked on for being a Skins fan.

Advertisements
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #62
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wonder if the Twitter world we live in also impacts the attendance. Before if you wanted to know what was going on you had to attend camp, now you can get full updates anywhere. Often by people with closer access than you would have anyway

That would be a big factor also, or the fact that forums like this will have guys posting about what they saw,etc at the practice. I just wouldn't want to roast in almost 100 weather just to see a practice if some guy is blogging it.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #63
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
People would like Danny more if we were winning. Scud is right, winning would change things.

Can't compete with the heat, the bad economy, or the net, if you are a mediocre team with shallow QB talent overall. I think folks are in a wait and see mode with all that is going on. It is like the boy who cried wolf. So many times we have been teased into thinking things were turning around, then poof, we still can't win. The ticket prices alone are ludicrous for what you actually see being done on the field, and that is not just the Skins, but most of the league. You really only have about 5-6 teams that really display excellence on the field, the rest are medicore or just abysmal. Can't justify a $110 ticket for a mid level 35 yard line seat with such a poor product being displayed. Can't take a family of 4 or 5 out to see a game with those prices anymore. That is why Goodell wants to try and expand overseas, but Europe isn't going to be able to afford these prices either. Shoot most FIFA games I see highlights of have mostly empty stands unless it is Barclay's or the Bundesliga, or the Italian and Spanish Premier Leagues.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #64
ethat001
Impact Rookie

1) NO QUARTERBACK.
2) NO FREE AGENT SPLASHES

That's why we don't have the excitement this year. No clear leader/QB, no big splashes in free agency. Although wise moves for the team, it doesn't pay dividends in jersey sales and training camp attendance. If Snyder wanted to sell out training camps and preseason, he'd have gotten: (1) Nnamdi Asmougha, (2) Reggie Bush, (3) Sydney Rice, (4) Santonio Holmes, (5) Yanda, (6) Kyle Orton / VY / Hasselback.. Instead of this, we've gotten young team-building players that will serve us better in the long run.

Remember: Haynesworth, Archuleta, Willie Parker, etc = ticket sales, but team failure
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #65
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Even if the measurables here actually indicated a waning of Skins' popularity - - and I doubt that they do at all - - the magnitudes need to be considered.

The Skins "decline" might be like the decrease in the height of the Rocky Mountains due to erosion over the past 1000 years. AND, even after that "decline" the Redskins remain THE more important and popular sports option (professional or amateur or collegiate) in the DC area by an inestimable margin.

The acronym best applied to this "analysis" is BFD...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #66
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Two words as to why training camp attendance is down. John Beck. Over the last decade of training camps we've either had an in house 1st round pick or at worst a solid veteran. (Ramsey, Brunell, Campbell, McNabb) Beck is such an unknown that it's hard for a lot of the fan base to get behind him

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #67
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wonder if the Twitter world we live in also impacts the attendance. Before if you wanted to know what was going on you had to attend camp, now you can get full updates anywhere. Often by people with closer access than you would have anyway
Thats a really good point, and one I probably think is very true. Even back ten years ago; you didnt get a quarter of the coverage you do now. Now you have radio shows live at camps, TV shows, highlights, website interviews, twitters and everything. It basically feels like you're right there anyways.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #68
#56fanatic
The Starter

There are probably a ton of reasons why people have chosen not to go this year. Temps, money, lockout, lack of planning time, lack of "star power" . SOme may not like Snyder but I can't name an owner that is willing to spend Millions over Millions over Millions of his money to make the team better, the game experience better, the stadium better, training camp better. The guy loves the Redskins, and I am guessing the losing is hurting him more than it hurts us. He's made some rash decisions over the last decade but lets not forget he was 34 when he bought the team. Which one of us wouldn't have done some of the things he did when he bought the team. I probably would have tried to keep my prints on the team for a while as he did. We all think we know more about football personel than we really do. I am hoping he is learning his place this year and from what I can see the last couple of years he has been the check signer and that is about it. So yeah, those that want Snyder to sell and can't stand him, I would say get over it. He isn't going to sell, and he isn't going anywhere. Put it behind you and support the Skins, or dont. I'd rather have a guy that has his passion and willing to do whatever it takes than an owner that is cheap (bills, bengals, SF,)
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #69
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The lockout has nothing to do with the small crowds. Bottom line is the fans are tired of the losing. I also think that blackouts are right around the corner. Never ever thought I say that but it's going to happen.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #70
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
There are probably a ton of reasons why people have chosen not to go this year. Temps, money, lockout, lack of planning time, lack of "star power" . SOme may not like Snyder but I can't name an owner that is willing to spend Millions over Millions over Millions of his money to make the team better, the game experience better, the stadium better, training camp better. The guy loves the Redskins, and I am guessing the losing is hurting him more than it hurts us. He's made some rash decisions over the last decade but lets not forget he was 34 when he bought the team. Which one of us wouldn't have done some of the things he did when he bought the team. I probably would have tried to keep my prints on the team for a while as he did. We all think we know more about football personel than we really do. I am hoping he is learning his place this year and from what I can see the last couple of years he has been the check signer and that is about it. So yeah, those that want Snyder to sell and can't stand him, I would say get over it. He isn't going to sell, and he isn't going anywhere. Put it behind you and support the Skins, or dont. I'd rather have a guy that has his passion and willing to do whatever it takes than an owner that is cheap (bills, bengals, SF,)

Ever heard of Robert Kraft...?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #71
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The lockout has nothing to do with the small crowds. Bottom line is the fans are tired of the losing. I also think that blackouts are right around the corner. Never ever thought I say that but it's going to happen.
Danny Boy can avoid blackouts at about 30-cents on the dollar for unused tix by addign that amount to what the visiting team gets paid for showing up at Fed Ex.

I truly believe that Danny Boy recognizes that blacking out games in DC would hurt his bottom line more than "fillling the till for visiting clubs" out of his revenue streams would hurt the bottom line.

If the Redskins have to go into "blackout mode", it will be an indicator that the franchise itself is teetering...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #72
over the mountain
Playmaker

There are a ton of reasons why the skins popularity is declinging. I really wish they would get out of PG county and the cluster storm that is fed ex parking. i like many others decline free tickets now. just too much of a hassle to watch an inept team.

i know i talk about baltimore alot but on game day, the city is buzzing. people in purple walking to M&T from the surrounding neighborhoods. go to one of the many bars in fed hill, drink get some brunch, walk a few blocks to the stadium, go through the ravens walk with all types of booths and activities. the stadium seating is some much better than fed ex. upper deck seats you have a great view, fed ex your up there in the clouds watching lil ants run around.

when i walk out of my home, there are raven flags on every house, people close down streets, pull huge tvs out and have a neighborhood block parties . . .

just imagine if the skins played in downtown alexandria. it seems everything about the skins right now is horrible, from the team to the game day experience. hopefully mike can atleast get us a team we can feel good about.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #73
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Meanwhile in Cleveland, Colt McCoy is reaching new fan bases and their popularity is at an all-time high!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #74
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

If they were winning things would be fine, they are losing so there you have it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #75
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Meanwhile in Cleveland, Colt McCoy is reaching new fan bases and their popularity is at an all-time high!

What in the name of being Amish? That's all I've got, I can't figure out why he would wanna go bowl haircut and trimmed beard.