Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Fitzmagic Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: The week one starting QB will be...
Fitzpatrick 25 52.08%
Allen 8 16.67%
Heinicke 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #241
MTK
\m/

Re: Fitzmagic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm not sure why people think he has to "bulk up". I think he's bigger than Russell Wilson & Drew Brees, and probably around the same size as Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray...

He's fine, just appears to be prone to injury. Another 10-15 pounds won't mitigate that.
You might want to give him a call then, because Heinicke himself said he was going to live in the weight room this offseason and he wanted to put on some weight to help avoid injury.

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #242
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I doubt he weighs more than RW, he's built rock solid
Old 04-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #243
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
You might want to give him a call then, because Heinicke himself said he was going to live in the weight room this offseason and he wanted to put on some weight to help avoid injury.
He knows himself that he's injury prone. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

Thing is, he's been prone to injury since he entered the NFL. I think he's been injured in literally every NFL game he's played. If he thought there was something he could do to mitigate that risk - to preserve his NFL career, you would think he would have tried that 4-5 years ago.

Anyway, it's a fun story...I can't wait to see the bulked up TH.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #244
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Since it's slow time as we wait for the draft...

Saturday my son and I made some Madden roster updates...added Fitzpatrick and Curtis Samuel, and adjusted Heinicke's ratings from a 51 overall to a 64.

We played H2H, Redskins vs. Redskins with him choosing Heinicke as QB and I took Fitz.

He won 28-14 with Heinicke, in the rain. Both Chase Youngs were beasts. Heinicke had very low stats because Gibson was having a huge game for them, ran for about 176 and 3 TDs.

I took more chances with Fitzpatrick. Connected for a 76-yard TD with Samuel and had a pick 6. Fitzpatrick threw 2 INTs and fumbled 3 times, twice from Chase Young hits in the backfield, another on a scramble. His completion % and yardage was high, I think the Skins D was just too much.

If it matters, Heinicke's team wore monochrome white uniforms and Fitz' team had all-burgundy.

Take it as you wish.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #245
MTK
\m/

It's probably not crazy to think given the way his NFL career was going that he wasn't spending a ton of time training, or at least not the kind of time an established player might. Now that he has some financial security and for at least the short term a good shot at holding down a roster spot, he'll be able to focus more on getting in the kind of shape he needs to be in. I know he's listed at 210 but that's being really generous. He looked more like 190ish at best.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #246
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
It's probably not crazy to think given the way his NFL career was going that he wasn't spending a ton of time training, or at least not the kind of time an established player might. Now that he has some financial security and for at least the short term a good shot at holding down a roster spot, he'll be able to focus more on getting in the kind of shape he needs to be in. I know he's listed at 210 but that's being really generous. He looked more like 190ish at best.
No not crazy, you're right.

However, he's been on the active roster of three NFL teams (now four). Knowing that you are prone to injury, and not taking the necessary steps to curb that (if at all possible), doesn't exactly scream dedication. But I'm not even saying that he hasn't tried. I'm just saying that it probably doesn't matter.

I don't know what he weighs now. He was listed at 213 in college. My guess is his ideal NFL playing weight is around 210. He's probably not there at this point because he has been away from the game.

Like I said, it's a fun story, but I suspect it will be more of a short story than a novel.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #247
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
TH seems smart enough to know that this is his best shot and likely his last shot at having a chance to make and stay on an NFL roster. He will be a training machine this offseason so that he leaves nothing on the table when training camp rolls around.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #248
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I don't know what to expect from him with regard to getting prepared for an NFL season that he probably hasn't done a few times already, or at least had the opportunity to do so.

Maybe the fifth time is a charm.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:15 AM   #249
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't know what to expect from him with regard to getting prepared for an NFL season that he probably hasn't done a few times already, or at least had the opportunity to do so.

Maybe the fifth time is a charm.
I don't think he ever entered an NFL season with so much opportunity laid before him. Maybe his Minnesota camp but otherwise he was never going in as more than 2nd behind an entrenched starter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #250
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

As the 2nd/3rd string QB, you're only one or two injuries away from being the starter. Therefore, you should constantly be preparing yourself as if you are going to be the starter.

Like I said, I'm not even saying that he hasn't done that, I'm just saying that it probably doesn't matter. Some dudes are just prone to injuries - or unlucky...

Anyway, he's basically in the same boat this year. Going in as the 2nd (maybe) behind Fitzpatrick. We'll see how he gets himself ready for the "competition".
Old 04-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #251
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

I don't know if this post should go here, or somewhere else ... but I'll put it here as it is total QB speculation ....

I was listening to NFL Network on Sirius XM this morning, and they played the Aaron Rodgers final Jeopardy clip that was amusing last night .... and it brought the hosts to the conversation of Rodgers future in Green Bay. They were of the opinion that it certainly looks like this coming season will be Aaron's last in Green Bay. And that he'll be looking for a new team in 2022.

So ....

Could it be that outlandish to think that Washington could be a nice landing spot for him? We use this year to assemble more pieces of a solid playoff team - very good defense, putting together skill players on O, solid OLine ... with the glaring need for a franchise QB ... and we basically "pull a Tampa Bay" and go get a Hall of Famer who still is putting up stupidly good numbers, to lead our team for 2 - 3 years.

Am I just in pre-draft-free-agency fan la la land here? Or is this the slightest bit possible?

If it was possible, would you be good with it - taking on a QB in his twilight?
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #252
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Anything is possible, but he's not a FA until 2024. WFT would likely have to trade for him, and I'm not sure I would be willing to give up a ton of assets for him. If they outright released him I would definitely look at bringing him in, but I don't see that happening.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #253
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I wouldn't say it was out of the question, but I think it's factored on a few things:

1) Fitz performance - if he lights it up and pulls a Rich Gannon type late career surge we may not want to swap again so soon.
2) Rodgers may not want to do a Brady (play into his 40's). If he's not motivated to play another 3-5 years I'm not sure I want him as we'd be forgoing a draft QB for sure (for at least 2-4 years) to keep him that long.
3) He wouldn't be as affordable as a rookie in 1-2 years time. That means we'd have to lose cap costs somewhere else and with a desire to resign all/most of our burgeoning DL, I'd say we may well not want the cost.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #254
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Not to mention he's probably going to take over as the host for Jeopardy!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #255
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Not to mention he's probably going to take over as the host for Jeopardy!
He seemed like a natural