Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum


2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #31
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 57
Posts: 2,006
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Can't rule out a new GM/HC coming in here and going all out to get their guy at QB, whether that's trading up in the draft, free agency, trading for a vet, etc. In fact that scenario is more likely than not, no matter what Sam does the rest of the way.

Sam really has to kill it these last 10 games to make that a tougher decision for the next GM/HC.
This is why I would fire RR and JDR now and make EB interim HC. He seems to like Howell, and to get the permanent job it would be totally in his best interests for Howell to succeed. If both fail, any new coach coming in will be justified in drafting his own QB. Not sure I see a downside, especially as if Howell and EB succeed, it means we get to use our picks to fill 9 holes instead of trading them away in an effort to get into the top 5.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2023, 08:03 PM   #32
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 22,401
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
That first round pick will be a QB, unless the new coaching staff gets one in free agency.

I can't see a scenario where: Howell plays lights out, the team continues to lose, the current coaching staff gets fired, and a new coach is willing to bet on Howell as a starting QB.

Didnít that scenario just happen? Lol. I mean they havenít gotten fired yet but Howell played lights out and we continued to lose. Now that Sweat and Young are gone Howell could certainly play lights out and our defense is going to be giving up 40 a game. I think we are literally staring straight down the barrel of that exact scenario.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:27 PM   #33
rocnrik
The Starter
 
rocnrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,266
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Iím gonna pull for Sam and hopefully he will be the franchise QB we have been searching for Ö

Last edited by rocnrik; 11-01-2023 at 08:48 PM.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #34
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 5,202
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

A look back at 2019 draft. With the trade of Sweat only Terry is still on the team.
https://twitter.com/DeclassifiedWft/...ll-on-the-team
__________________
EB thinks Sam Savings > Patrick Price
BaltimoreSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #35
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 51
Posts: 98,991
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
This is why I would fire RR and JDR now and make EB interim HC. He seems to like Howell, and to get the permanent job it would be totally in his best interests for Howell to succeed. If both fail, any new coach coming in will be justified in drafting his own QB. Not sure I see a downside, especially as if Howell and EB succeed, it means we get to use our picks to fill 9 holes instead of trading them away in an effort to get into the top 5.
EB is already in over his head as OC and you want to give him even more control and responsibility?

That would be a hard pass for me.

And if I were EB I wouldnít want it, heís set up to fail.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #36
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 22,401
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
EB is already in over his head as OC and you want to give him even more control and responsibility?

That would be a hard pass for me.

And if I were EB I wouldnít want it, heís set up to fail.

I donít think he is in over his head. I think he is stubborn af. We have seen this offense even with this line absolutely light it up. I think if he had the pieces he could be really effective. Look at KCís offense without him. Not nearly as good.

Im not defending his stubbornness Im just acknowledging that i dont think it is him being over his head.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:08 PM   #37
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 51
Posts: 98,991
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Iím just not convinced EB is a capable OC let alone HC.

Iíd let things play out with Ron and wipe the slate clean the day after the season ends.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 22,401
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Probably exactly what will happenÖ
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:33 PM   #39
HTTR
Special Teams
 
HTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 433
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Iím just not convinced EB is a capable OC let alone HC.

Iíd let things play out with Ron and wipe the slate clean the day after the season ends.

Handling the EB situation is the trickiest thing Harris to do over the next year. (If that isnít clear, then you havenít been following the media yammering about his interview history or his arrest record.) Thatís one reason Ron canít be fired now, cause it just forces the EB issue before anyoneís ready to open that worm can. Much cleaner, as Matty says, to sweep out GM, HC, and coordinators and their minions and let the new regime hire back anyone of value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
____________________________________________
"There's the snap, hand to Riggins . . . he's gone, he's gone!"
HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:12 PM   #40
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,009
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I donít think he is in over his head. I think he is stubborn af. We have seen this offense even with this line absolutely light it up. I think if he had the pieces he could be really effective. Look at KCís offense without him. Not nearly as good.

Im not defending his stubbornness Im just acknowledging that i dont think it is him being over his head.
I think EB has shown flashes of being a good playcaller - obviously Sam Howell is putting up numbers (in flashes) better than we ever saw from Heinicke or any of the other dozen qb's in the last 5 years.

EB still has to grow too though - he needs to learn the importance of the running game, balance, using the run to setup play action, etc. which might take some time.

I'm on board with canning Ron and JDR after the season and letting a new guy pick whether to retain EB or not - I can certainly make the argument it would help Howell stay next year if they retained EB as the playcaller. Bringing in a new playcaller either stunts Howell's development or means bringing in a new qb and starting over which I don't want to do, at least on offense. I want them to shore up the weaknesses (offensive line #1) and focus on the defense after that.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #41
HTTR
Special Teams
 
HTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 433
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think EB has shown flashes of being a good playcaller - obviously Sam Howell is putting up numbers (in flashes) better than we ever saw from Heinicke or any of the other dozen qb's in the last 5 years.

EB still has to grow too though - he needs to learn the importance of the running game, balance, using the run to setup play action, etc. which might take some time.

I'm on board with canning Ron and JDR after the season and letting a new guy pick whether to retain EB or not - I can certainly make the argument it would help Howell stay next year if they retained EB as the playcaller. Bringing in a new playcaller either stunts Howell's development or means bringing in a new qb and starting over which I don't want to do, at least on offense. I want them to shore up the weaknesses (offensive line #1) and focus on the defense after that.

Speak, pastor Mooby


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
____________________________________________
"There's the snap, hand to Riggins . . . he's gone, he's gone!"
HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:22 PM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 22,401
2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think EB has shown flashes of being a good playcaller - obviously Sam Howell is putting up numbers (in flashes) better than we ever saw from Heinicke or any of the other dozen qb's in the last 5 years.

EB still has to grow too though - he needs to learn the importance of the running game, balance, using the run to setup play action, etc. which might take some time.

I'm on board with canning Ron and JDR after the season and letting a new guy pick whether to retain EB or not - I can certainly make the argument it would help Howell stay next year if they retained EB as the playcaller. Bringing in a new playcaller either stunts Howell's development or means bringing in a new qb and starting over which I don't want to do, at least on offense. I want them to shore up the weaknesses (offensive line #1) and focus on the defense after that.

YesÖ.preach. Nobody has even mentioned how a new offense would stunt Sams growth. He is actively trying to get rid of the ball as of very recentlyÖcertainly aware of it and a revamped oline will obviously help.

Totally agree with everything you said. A little patience and a lot of help, HC, DC, oline, lbís, corner.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #43
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 16,866
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Anybody watch USC Washington on Sat? What's the deal w/ Williams? This guy paints his fingernails and ran into the stands and cried in his mommies arms. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I would take Penix over Williams. There is just something off about Williams. He fumbles too much. Makes a lot of great plays but I don't think he is mentally tough enough for the NFL.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:33 AM   #44
SFREDSKIN
Gamebreaker
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 14,931
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Howell is a QB who has played in different types of offenses and has done well. I think EB is getting too much credit for Howellís success. If you got it, you got it and Howell does.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:44 AM   #45
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 51
Posts: 98,991
Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Anybody watch USC Washington on Sat? What's the deal w/ Williams? This guy paints his fingernails and ran into the stands and cried in his mommies arms. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I would take Penix over Williams. There is just something off about Williams. He fumbles too much. Makes a lot of great plays but I don't think he is mentally tough enough for the NFL.
I think people need to ease up. He's a kid who just lost a tough game and was emotionally spent. Some out there calling him undraftable, give me a break.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 2.79686 seconds with 10 queries