F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #376
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Didn't know where to put this, but a quick vent about ESPN's Jason Reid.

John Keim recently had Reid on his podcast to discuss the Rivera hiring.

At the beginning of the interview, Keim gave Reid the opportunity to explain himself to Redskins fan about the perception that he doesn't like the team and that his reporting is biased. Reid proceeded to say that he's only reporting the truth about the team and he doesn't mean to be biased and whatnot.

Then towards the end of the conversation, Reid goes on to basically nitpick everything about Haskins (i.e. his whole body language on the sideline when he was not playing, the whole scene during the Jets game when he's pleading to the o-line, and him not being present for Rivera's presser). As I hear, I'm thinking to myself: mf'er, this is why Redskins fans don't like your work!
I agree with Reid, Haskins not showing to Rivera's presser means he's not committed! Get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #377
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with Reid, Haskins not showing to Rivera's presser means he's not committed! Get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my opinion, we must understand context of any situation before judging anyone for anything. In this case, who knows Haskins already had important plans or gone to vacation before the presser was announced. Let's imagine a scenario - suppose you are Haskins, you are currently on your vacation and you had already paid for everything, and then next day you got news that your new boss will show up at work to meet everyone. Would you cancel rest of your vacation plans, just to meet your new boss that day or will you wait until after you return home from vacation to meet him?
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #378
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
In my opinion, we must understand context of any situation before judging anyone for anything. In this case, who knows Haskins already had important plans or gone to vacation before the presser was announced. Let's imagine a scenario - suppose you are Haskins, you are currently on your vacation and you had already paid for everything, and then next day you got news that your new boss will show up at work to meet everyone. Would you cancel rest of your vacation plans, just to meet your new boss that day or will you wait until after you return home from vacation to meet him?
If my job rested solely in his hands? Heck yeah. I am at least grabbing a redeye flight for the meet and greet.

That said, Rivera has the ability to use that moment to set expectations. It is not about where Haskins is, but where he can be led. Can he learn how to be great? Can he learn to be a leader?

That is what excites me because I think the answer to both is a resounding yes!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #379
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I can't even believe that this is being discussed. Pointless..
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #380
mredskins
MVP

I think Mooby is being sarcastic.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #381
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Let's imagine a scenario - suppose you are Haskins, you are currently on your vacation and you had already paid for everything, and then next day you got news that your new boss will show up at work to meet everyone. Would you cancel rest of your vacation plans, just to meet your new boss that day or will you wait until after you return home from vacation to meet him?
Haskins was in NYC, not New Zealand.

If I believed I was in Haskins shoes, and understood that i had a reputation (Deserved or not) for not being fully devoted to football, I would have made the very short flight from NYC to DC to be there at the presser and meet my new head coach, then made the very short flight back to NYC and resumed my vacation. It would have been a very minor inconvenience to me, but been well worth it to show the new HC i was serious about the team and committed to being a leader.

To compare it to something that I personally experienced recently - someone I didn't know recently died and their funeral was 4 hours away. But i'm relatively close to someone who was very close to the person. I didn't have to go to the funeral, but I did. My friend was so surprised and happy that I came, as it was just a small service and even some family didn't show up. So while my friend would not have thought less of me for not showing, it meant the world to them that I did. So I think the Haskins thing is somewhat similar.

Haskins absence, in of itself, is meaningless. But given everything else surrounding him over the course of the season, it would have been a HUGE gesture to make a good first impression with his head coach to show Rivera that Haskins is taking things seriously. Its one thing to send out a tweet and say you're ready to work... but then not do anything at all. Its another to actually demonstrate it by actions.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #382
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post

If I believed I was in Haskins shoes, and understood that i had a reputation (Deserved or not) for not being fully devoted to football, I would have made the very short flight from NYC to DC to be there at the presser and meet my new head coach, then made the very short flight back to NYC and resumed my vacation. It would have been a very minor inconvenience to me, but been well worth it to show the new HC i was serious about the team and committed to being a leader.

To compare it to something that I personally experienced recently - someone I didn't know recently died and their funeral was 4 hours away. But i'm relatively close to someone who was very close to the person. I didn't have to go to the funeral, but I did. My friend was so surprised and happy that I came, as it was just a small service and even some family didn't show up. So while my friend would not have thought less of me for not showing, it meant the world to them that I did. So I think the Haskins thing is somewhat similar.

Haskins absence, in of itself, is meaningless. But given everything else surrounding him over the course of the season, it would have been a HUGE gesture to make a good first impression with his head coach to show Rivera that Haskins is taking things seriously. Its one thing to send out a tweet and say you're ready to work... but then not do anything at all. Its another to actually demonstrate it by actions.
Well said, Guice flew up from Louisiana to be there.. He posted it on his IG page, so I think Dwayne should have been there as the franchise QB.. Yes its the off season and yes he is a human too so it is what it is but it looks better if you show up.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #383
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I agree here. I do wonder if any of his teammates, like AP or AS, reached out and he still chose to ignore the advice.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #384
Schneed10
A Dude

Much ado about nothing. He can succeed as a leader independently of whether he showed up to meet his coach. Or he can fail as a leader, independent of whether he showed up to meet his coach.

You can show up to meet your coach and still fail to work hard enough. Or you can not show up to meet your coach and work hard enough.

And you can work hard enough, and still not succeed.

Meaningless.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #385
MTK
\m/

Thing is we don't know if Rivera and Haskins exchanged texts or a even a phone call. Maybe they did and Rivera told him to enjoy his vacation. I'm not going to kill him over missing out on the presser.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #386
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Didn't know where to put this, but a quick vent about ESPN's Jason Reid.

John Keim recently had Reid on his podcast to discuss the Rivera hiring.

At the beginning of the interview, Keim gave Reid the opportunity to explain himself to Redskins fan about the perception that he doesn't like the team and that his reporting is biased. Reid proceeded to say that he's only reporting the truth about the team and he doesn't mean to be biased and whatnot.

Then towards the end of the conversation, Reid goes on to basically nitpick everything about Haskins (i.e. his whole body language on the sideline when he was not playing, the whole scene during the Jets game when he's pleading to the o-line, and him not being present for Rivera's presser). As I hear, I'm thinking to myself: mf'er, this is why Redskins fans don't like your work!
Yeah I listened to that too. Whenever I start to like Reid he ruins it with petty BS. He just tweeted the other day that he doesn't know if the week 1 starter is even on the roster right now. FFS.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #387
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

It never ceases to amaze me how many excuses get made up for Haskins lack of leadership and commitment to the team. No single occurrence would be alarming in of itself, but we have a clear pattern developing of Haskins behaviors (or lack thereof) not jiving with what you would want in your franchise QB. Any one of them can be dismissed as "much ado about nothing" or "meaningless" or "no big deal." But when these things start adding up, its a f*ucking pattern of behavior that doesn't look promising.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #388
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Yeah I listened to that too. Whenever I start to like Reid he ruins it with petty BS. He just tweeted the other day that he doesn't know if the week 1 starter is even on the roster right now. FFS.
I felt bad for Keim, because he's like hey, here's your opportunity to explain yourself to Skins fans, and then he basically shits all over it.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #389
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
I felt bad for Keim, because he's like hey, here's your opportunity to explain yourself to Skins fans, and then he basically shits all over it.
He was honest and objective. If skins fans have a problem with it, its on them for wanting to avoid reality and objective, valid, criticisms that didn't just disappear because Bruce was fired and Rivera took over.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #390
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
He was honest and objective. If skins fans have a problem with it, its on them for wanting to avoid reality and objective, valid, criticisms that didn't just disappear because Bruce was fired and Rivera took over.
Keim is honest and objective, Reid is a whining little punk.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote