Defensive Review: Giants

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Defensive Review: Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Let's see if I got this straight. In the offensive review, our resident experts tell us that Zorn was outcoached by the Giants' DC and, in the defensive review, they tell us that Blache was outcoached by the Giants' OC. Meanwhile, we're picking apart every mistake the players make.

If it's true that we were outcoached on both sides of the ball, let's hope that doesn't become a trend because, if the coaches can't put the players in positions where they are likely to succeed, we won't have a snowball's chance of making the playoffs.
I get what you're saying...I don't think we're gettng out-coached on O. I think our coaching staff is so scared of pressure that it has really inhibited their play-calling. They need to just grow a set and start calling plays without concern for protection. We can either protect and run a good offense or we can hide in a shell and run a crap offense. Hiding in a shell wins us 10 games tops if everything works out perfectly (a good defense, adequate teams and some luck on O).
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I get what you're saying...I don't think we're gettng out-coached on O. I think our coaching staff is so scared of pressure that it has really inhibited their play-calling. They need to just grow a set and start calling plays without concern for protection. We can either protect and run a good offense or we can hide in a shell and run a crap offense. Hiding in a shell wins us 10 games tops if everything works out perfectly (a good defense, adequate teams and some luck on O).
I don't think Blache necessarily got outcoached on Sunday either. There were bad calls, yes, but I thought he got out-Blached by Kevin Gilbride (Giants O Coordinator). He called a lot of plays into our defensive strengths, and despite having automatic completions out on the field, they were only 6/12 on converting third downs.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

We only had 10 offensive possessions, and in that, 2 turnovers is certainly not good, but the Giants only had EIGHT offensive possessions, and two ended in turnovers, one in a turnover on downs, with four scoring drives and a single punt. Turning the ball over on 25% of drives is completely inexcusable. Even 20% (for us) was pretty bad.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I don't think Blache necessarily got outcoached on Sunday either. There were bad calls, yes, but I thought he got out-Blached by Kevin Gilbride (Giants O Coordinator). He called a lot of plays into our defensive strengths, and despite having automatic completions out on the field, they were only 6/12 on converting third downs.
Allowing 50% on 3rd down conversion is poor. For Week 1 nfl.com has us at #25 at 46% (6/13). For the 2008 season, average teams were at 39-40%, 46% would put us at #29-30 in last years regular season standings in this category.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Allowing 50% on 3rd down conversion is poor. For Week 1 nfl.com has us at #25 at 46% (6/13). For the 2008 season, average teams were at 39-40%, 46% would put us at #29-30 in last years regular season standings in this category.
I saw somewhere that our defense had the highest percentage of 3 and outs in the NFL, or something like that. Just thought I would throw that in there
Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I saw somewhere that our defense had the highest percentage of 3 and outs in the NFL, or something like that. Just thought I would throw that in there
Factually correct. They also did it against a schedule that included 4 of the top 5 quarterbacks at three and outs.

I think: Fitzpatrick, Anderson, Hasselbeck, and...I want to say Bulger but that might not be right.

If we can keep getting ~2 turnovers a game, I think we'll be fine in the long run. If this game ends up being an anomaly turnover-wise, we'll probably struggle all year.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
We only had 10 offensive possessions, and in that, 2 turnovers is certainly not good, but the Giants only had EIGHT offensive possessions, and two ended in turnovers, one in a turnover on downs, with four scoring drives and a single punt. Turning the ball over on 25% of drives is completely inexcusable. Even 20% (for us) was pretty bad.
I felt like our defense just couldn't get itself off the field a few too many times. Hence the only 8 possessions for the Gints. They had a few long time-consuming drives I think that took possessions away from our offense and killed field position, again limiting what we could do on offense. I really felt our D had a big hand in the lack of offense.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #23
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I felt like our defense just couldn't get itself off the field a few too many times. Hence the only 8 possessions for the Gints. They had a few long time-consuming drives I think that took possessions away from our offense and killed field position, again limiting what we could do on offense. I really felt our D had a big hand in the lack of offense.
Prepare to defend yourself against completely backwards logic like: "it's because the offense sucks."

"Because the offense sucks...the defense can't get off the field?"

"No, the defense is tired because the offense sucks"

"But, that doesn't even make sense. I was talking about how the Giants had such an obsurdly low number of possessions. That has nothing to do with the offense."

"Campbell is the problem."
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Prepare to defend yourself against completely backwards logic like: "it's because the offense sucks."

"Because the offense sucks...the defense can't get off the field?"

"No, the defense is tired because the offense sucks"

"But, that doesn't even make sense. I was talking about how the Giants had such an obsurdly low number of possessions. That has nothing to do with the offense."

"Campbell is the problem."
All of which are ridiculous points when we know the real problem is "We have a racist nickname"
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
All of which are ridiculous points when we know the real problem is "We have a racist nickname"
Exactly! If it's an air attack you want, then we should be the Washington Rockets.

Our primitive defensive scheme is clearly a function of our nickname.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
RedBar
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
Bingo. A sure sign of a charlatan if you ask me. If you want to watch a real defensive coordinator at work watch the Jets play (or put on some tape of the Redskins in 2004 or 2007). So glad that shotgun was so effective in convincing Blache to unretire. Now the dude won't go away and he's armed.
Was he a good DC last year or is all this charlatan stuff born out of week 1?
RedBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBar View Post
Was he a good DC last year or is all this charlatan stuff born out of week 1?
Do you think a lot of the criticism towards Blache could also be due to higher expectations of the defense at this point than the offense? Also, do you think he has the players he wants? I mean he has talented players, but are they the guys he wants for the most part?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #28
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Exactly! If it's an air attack you want, then we should be the Washington Rockets.

Our primitive defensive scheme is clearly a function of our nickname.
I think you if you search your conscience, you will find "Rockets" is a lethal weapon capable of taking human life......like Bullets. Perhaps good judgement would dictate another name that would symbolize the thrust of the meaning in a.....non-threatening and offensive way?

Washington Dirigibles?
Washington Hindenburgs?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I think you if you search your conscience, you will find "Rockets" is a lethal weapon capable of taking human life......like Bullets. Perhaps good judgement would dictate another name that would symbolize the thrust of the meaning in a.....non-threatening and offensive way?

Washington Dirigibles?
Washington Hindenburgs?
Oh the humanity!!!!

The Washington Robins

-Robins can fly
-Robins are red, so we could even be the Red Robins
-Robins often symbolize the start of spring, and everyone is happy at the first signs of spring
-Robin, as in Batman and Robin, defenders of justice. Everyone likes when justice is defended
-Robin, as in Robin Leach of Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous, a staple of the 1980s. 1980s=Redskins dominance
-Robin, as in Robin Wright Penn, star of The Princess Bride. Hilarious movie, and who doesn't like to laugh?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
RedBar
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Do you think a lot of the criticism towards Blache could also be due to higher expectations of the defense at this point than the offense? Also, do you think he has the players he wants? I mean he has talented players, but are they the guys he wants for the most part?

No doubt the pressure is greater with the addition of high profile players and we will have to wait and see how this defense stacks up to previous years, but anyone can see how expectations are high. Still it is amazing that only in football can you have forty or fifty years of success and accomplishment and be a charlatan after a week one loss to a pretty good football team. Or maybe these coaches have been fooling all these GM's and owners into thinking they actually know something about offense or defense.
RedBar is offline   Reply With Quote