Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Tiger Woods lynching comments

Other Sports

Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Tiger Woods lynching comments

Dunno if you guys heard about this but the chick that said it is temporarily suspended. My family listens to Al Sharpton on the radio from time to time and I was listening yesterday. Needless to say, the guy is going apeshit over this.

Anchor suspended 2 weeks for "lynch" comment - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Tiger Woods lynching comments

I think she and her employers figured it might slide because who watches the Golf Channel? And they almost got away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids at Newsday.

Really inappropriate comments. She should know better.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Al Sharpton's a tool. I think we can all agree on that. Still, that woman is insane for those comments. I read that article this morning and just shook my head. I don't care how friendly the intent was, there are things you just shouldn't think, let alone say.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Al Sharpton's a tool. I think we can all agree on that. Still, that woman is insane for those comments. I read that article this morning and just shook my head. I don't care how friendly the intent was, there are things you just shouldn't think, let alone say.
Oh yeah. My folks don't normally listen to him but he just happened to be on the radio. I've learned about Sharpton and his tool-ness.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Oh yeah. My folks don't normally listen to him but he just happened to be on the radio. I've learned about Sharpton and his tool-ness.
I think he's tool-less......
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

The weird part was is she was trying to complement Tiger and just said something that sounded very wrong. She personally contacted Tiger and also made a public apology. Tiger did not take offense to what she said but Ali got involved and got her suspended for the two weeks.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
mheisig
The Starter

Sometimes this society is just too damn sensitive.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Society isn't too sensitive if her choice of words were because of his skin color. That is a horrible thing to say. But maybe she just used those words and didn't relate them at all to tiger's race. I just think that is hard to do. Lynching someone from a tree brings brings one thing to mind. I don't know if she would have used the same words for a white person. Kind of like when Arthur blank made this comment

YouTube - Racist? Arthur Blank on Michael Vick

I don't think arthur meant in that way though.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
Society isn't too sensitive if her choice of words were because of his skin color. That is a horrible thing to say. But maybe she just used those words and didn't relate them at all to tiger's race. I just think that is hard to do. Lynching someone from a tree brings brings one thing to mind. I don't know if she would have used the same words for a white person. Kind of like when Arthur blank made this comment

YouTube - Racist? Arthur Blank on Michael Vick

I don't think arthur meant in that way though.
The way she said it, her entire demeanor and delivery would lead any reasonable person to conclude it was completely innocuous and nothing more than perhaps a poor choice of words for public TV.

Why "lynching" brings only one thing to mind is beyond me. A lynching is a mob killing without legal authority. If she's guilty of anything, it's of using an illustration that's ridiculously graphic and violent for the point she's trying to make, it has nothing to do with race.

It should be equally bad for her to say, "Well they'll have to stalk you down and blow your brains out in an ally before they can compete." If it's offensive, it ought to be offensive to a broad range of people simply because it's too violent an illustration for comparing it to golf.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
The way she said it, her entire demeanor and delivery would lead any reasonable person to conclude it was completely innocuous and nothing more than perhaps a poor choice of words for public TV.

Why "lynching" brings only one thing to mind is beyond me. A lynching is a mob killing without legal authority. If she's guilty of anything, it's of using an illustration that's ridiculously graphic and violent for the point she's trying to make, it has nothing to do with race.

It should be equally bad for her to say, "Well they'll have to stalk you down and blow your brains out in an ally before they can compete." If it's offensive, it ought to be offensive to a broad range of people simply because it's too violent an illustration for comparing it to golf.
Eh. Well it's like my grandmother was saying that our generation (Which I'm assuming is everyone born from the 80's-90's) is a good generation in the fact that we don't automatically jump to look at things from a race perspective. My best friend is White and she tells me she doesn't see me as a Black person. She just sees me as D (Which is what my friends call me) and that its hard for her to see people as a race and she just sees people as people.

I think if she had said something about blowing his brains out in an alley, it would be criticized but she wouldn't lose her job for it. But society's really sensitive about race issues because I think we're trying so hard to move away from it, as soon as someone says something borderline offensive everyone has to throw the race card out there and say some shit about how racist they are.

What about when Dog said the N word about the woman his son was seeing? They took his ass off the air and I LOVE Dog the Bounty Hunter, I don't care how White trash they claim him to be and I felt terrible that A&E lost their damn mind about the situation. I kinda understand where Dog was coming from. Because my folks do the same damn thing. To them there are Black people and then there's the N word. And I think that's what Dog was getting at. And damnit his son was tapping the damn phone, wheres the repercussions in that?

I dunno. I'm kinda in the same boat as my best friend. I just see people as people. I just wish one day society could do the same thing.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:

Seriously I agree 100% with this. I'm so sick of hearing about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson with this stuff. Its 100% obvious she didnt mean anything bad by this, hell she was complimenting him...yet she should lose her job...unreal imo.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Seriously I agree 100% with this. I'm so sick of hearing about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson with this stuff. Its 100% obvious she didnt mean anything bad by this, hell she was complimenting him...yet she should lose her job...unreal imo.
I understand they were friends but I don't understand how she was complimenting him.

"Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while."
"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman replied."

Maybe I'm just seeing this is in the wrong context because I don't know what came before it or after it. But if someone could just point me in the direction of the compliment...

And I think it would be stupid for her to lose her job over this, especially considering they were personal friends. I think what Fuzzy Zoeller said about him was far more demeaning.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I understand they were friends but I don't understand how she was complimenting him.

"Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while."
"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman replied."

Maybe I'm just seeing this is in the wrong context because I don't know what came before it or after it. But if someone could just point me in the direction of the compliment...

And I think it would be stupid for her to lose her job over this, especially considering they were personal friends. I think what Fuzzy Zoeller said about him was far more demeaning.

Basically the compliment came because they were saying that no one could beat Tiger and Nick Faldo said something along the lines of well maybe they need to all gang up on him and she said "lynch him in a back alley", basically saying thats the only way you can beat Tiger....

I mean I dont know who is/isnt African American on this website, but I'd really like to know if stuff like this is offensive to them. I just find that its insane that with all the crime going on in the world, this is what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are worried about.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Basically the compliment came because they were saying that no one could beat Tiger and Nick Faldo said something along the lines of well maybe they need to all gang up on him and she said "lynch him in a back alley", basically saying thats the only way you can beat Tiger....

I mean I dont know who is/isnt African American on this website, but I'd really like to know if stuff like this is offensive to them. I just find that its insane that with all the crime going on in the world, this is what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are worried about.
Well I am Black and I find it offensive but not to the point of where she should lose her job, but ONLY for the fact that they were friends prior to this incident which leads me to believe that she probably didn't mean it in the way that everyone is thinking she did. It'd be different if she was just some random woman and she didn't know him and was saying "lynch him". She's known the guy for 12 years! This was no personal attack or no racist comment, I think she meant "string him up" and what came out was lynch. Whoops!

She called the guy up and apologized to him and Woods released a statement saying that he didn't really care about what she said. And that should be it. There shouldn't be a huge uproar about it. As long as she goes to him and apologizes and he accepts it or shrugs it off and says "whatever we're still cool" that should be THE END. Theres no point in dragging this out and making some big social controversy out of it.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
dmek25
MVP

Quote:

while we don't agree on much, with this i think you are dead on. i really think she was trying to compliment woods. and society is way toooo sensitive