Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

You Win as a Team and You Lose as One - Discipline Issues

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Ruhskins
Living Legend

You Win as a Team and You Lose as One - Discipline Issues

After seeing many rants about the same tired old criticisms (Snyder sucks/Vinny sucks - very original), people faulting one player or one unit for the loss, I want to bring up an underlying issue that set the tone for our team's loss on Sunday...team discipline.

Santana Moss, our supposedly #1 WR got into an unnecessary scuffle that resulted in a 15 yrd penalty, which was luckily offset by the opponents PF.

Laron Landry seemed more focus on getting his revenge on Brandon Jacobs than playing the game, the result a 15 yrd. penalty.

Both Carter and Haynesworth had encroachment penalties. D. Hall had a block in the back penalty; Rogers had an illegal contact penalty; and Campbell had an illegal forward pass.

These are all starters, all players that have experience and talent, yet they committed these easily avoidable penalties. You add this to the questionable playcalling, being in a hostile environment, and add the other mental mistakes made by the team, that results in a whole team effort in the loss.

Penalties were an issue during the preseason, and I see that not much has changed. They need to get their act together on this.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: You Win as a Team and You Lose as One - Discipline Issues

Good post!

Like I said in one thread, Zorn continue to shows inexperience coaching.. Someone really needs to wake him up.. I'm disappointed with Blache, he also underutilized his team.. Our D was weak; barely no QB pressures.. CBs continue to play soft, Landry is moving as if he is THE man, which is someone who he could be but he appears just doesn't get it.. All coaches need to sit down together and talk to each other; get everyone on same page and open it up..

Raiders just got Seymour few days ago, and already they are totally utilizing him.. He played all positions on the line.. We have Haynesworth, and not to mention Daniels who is big enough to be DT.. Carter, Haynesworth, Daniels (or Jarmon later in the season?), and Orakpo on passing downs, this should take care of it..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
After seeing many rants about the same tired old criticisms (Snyder sucks/Vinny sucks - very original), people faulting one player or one unit for the loss, I want to bring up an underlying issue that set the tone for our team's loss on Sunday...team discipline.

Santana Moss, our supposedly #1 WR got into an unnecessary scuffle that resulted in a 15 yrd penalty, which was luckily offset by the opponents PF.

Laron Landry seemed more focus on getting his revenge on Brandon Jacobs than playing the game, the result a 15 yrd. penalty.

Both Carter and Haynesworth had encroachment penalties. D. Hall had a block in the back penalty; Rogers had an illegal contact penalty; and Campbell had an illegal forward pass.

These are all starters, all players that have experience and talent, yet they committed these easily avoidable penalties. You add this to the questionable playcalling, being in a hostile environment, and add the other mental mistakes made by the team, that results in a whole team effort in the loss.

Penalties were an issue during the preseason, and I see that not much has changed. They need to get their act together on this.
good post
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
skins89moss
Playmaker

We did have some costly penalties in the game but good teams find a way to over come them and pull out a win.
Moss was a no show and he could not beat 1on1 coverage of Jason Webster. He could have prevented the int when Campbell threw it passed the LOS. Im so dissapointed in Santana's like of immaturity and focus. Laron Landry is a far cry from Sean 21 Taylor. Chris Horton and Reed D. are decent against the run but are a liablity in pass coverage.
Our corners were playing soft and gave to much cushion to the G-Men WR. Fred Smoot missed a tackle on Manningham that lead to his TD. The D-Line played well against the run but the pass rush is still lacking. Phillip Daniels should not be starting at DE he just doesnt have the quickness N plays to stiff . He is better suited as a DT. We need to let Jarmon and C. Wilson play DE use Daniels more on the inside. Anyone have a take on that?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:

I like this post. You will hear the commentators of the Redskin's games say, "It all depends on which Redskins' team shows up". It doesn't matter who they're playing, where they're playing, or what commentator it is. I hear it all the time.

The Redskins need to show mental toughness 24/7 and they don't. I don't fault Haynesworth and Carter as much as Moss and Landry. Since Haynesworth has come here he's done what he's been asked to do. I wasn't crazy about him coming here but on Sunday he did his job. Stopping Brandon Jacobs on a goal line 4th and one is good to go in my book. Carter has, for the most part, acted like a professional since he's been here. The reason I put in the disclaimer is simple, I just can't remember him doing anything silly?

Moss and Landry are different birds. Moss should be benched or traded. I could care less if he's the so-called #1. So was TO, and Dallas is doing just fine without him. The other two got fooled. It happens. Moss is selfish and has a short temper. I don't need to explain why I say that. Everyone one has watched the games. Landry was thinking about himself not his team. He's overrated too IMO. What the secondary is doing now is what pissed me off about Shawn Taylor. He cared more about getting on the high-light reel than making the tackle. For every big hit he laid out two more plays scored touch downs. In Taylors defense, he started to get it. If he had more time to developed his mental toughness along with his talent, he would've been a HOFer, hands down. Moss on the other hand should know better. Landry needs to get it and quick.

Last edited by Trample the Elderly; 09-15-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

Excellent post. I completely agree. Players should be fined for every penalty in practice or in games as a way of creating greater discipline.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Excellent post. I completely agree. Players should be fined for every penalty in practice or in games as a way of creating greater discipline.
or benched.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
53Fan
Franchise Player

Very well said Ruhskins!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:

I have a feeling that both encroachment penalties were the Redskins thinking they knew the snap count ala Woodson.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
or benched.
Correct. That is also a good solution.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Great Post Ruh. The problem is no one in the organization has the balls to implement any kind of dicispline. My thought to this end is that Jim Zorn is trying so hard to constantly win the team over to his style of coaching that he lacks a certain amount of respect among the players. To that end he will not be able to practice good discipline when he is constantly trying to remain on the god side of his team. This is one fundamental flaw JZ has as a head coach.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

god=good.. once again I have made this mistake.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post

I like that idea, many coaches probably feel the same way, but the union would have a lot to say about that one.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Excellent observation. I dont see Zorn being that type of disciplinary coach, and he seems like he has too much on his plate to worry about penalties. Blache seems like he will kick the defense's ass for their stupid mistakes and lack of focus. A couple of comments about Landry up above I see, which I think are appropriate. He needs to wrap up when he tackles and not lead with his head down.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Great Post Ruh. The problem is no one in the organization has the balls to implement any kind of dicispline. My thought to this end is that Jim Zorn is trying so hard to constantly win the team over to his style of coaching that he lacks a certain amount of respect among the players. To that end he will not be able to practice good discipline when he is constantly trying to remain on the god side of his team. This is one fundamental flaw JZ has as a head coach.
I see it differently. This isn't a JZ problem. It's an organizational problem. There are a few players that have the ear of upper management IMO. I don't have proof, but this is what I've heard from past players. This is also how it appears to me.

Zorn should've been the man to stick foot to ass. He's more than capable of doing it. Have you noticed his demeanor this year? It's Mr. Nice Guy now. The fire is gone. Clinton Portis should've benched for talking trash about his coach. Santana Moss should've been fined and benched for punching that guy in the helmet. Did it happen?

It was the same way with Joe. Joe is a notorious coddler though. Look at the rat faced brat he has racing for him. I'm not bad mouthing Joe. He just very, Christian. That's who he is. He had to eat a lot of crow because of these players. That's why he's gone. Don't believe that BS about his grandson. He's out there with his race team all the time, February through November.

They could've had a foot to ass coach. He was actually the only person I think that wanted the job, Greg Williams. The point is upper management powder puffs the players. On Sundays that's who we see, softies. Not every player fits that mold, but too many do.