Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Oscar Pistorius in the Olympics

Other Sports

Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
FRPLG
MVP

Oscar Pistorius in the Olympics

London 2012 Olympics: Games legend Michael Johnson believes Oscar Pistorius has an 'unfair advantage' - Telegraph

I say bravo to Michael for speaking out on this. Allowing athletes with prosthetics to compete against able-bodied athletes seems completely wrong to me.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Oscar Pistorius in the Olympics

Didn't "Blade Runner" barely qualify? I'm not sure what competitive advantage he really has?

Also, didn't Michael Johnson say recently black athletes have an unfair advantage as well because they're genetically faster since they're slave descendents?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am generally leaning towards the "should not compete" side. Prosethetics are man made alterations to one's body. Whether they provide a competitive advantage or not, they are a physical alteration of the standard physiology.

While I applaud his strength, courage and attitude and would hope that others emulate it, I do not think he belongs in a race against fully able bodied atheletes any more than one who uses chemical alterations to the physiology.

I understand that this is not the politically correct stance. At the same time, with advancements in robotics, prosthetics and other mechanical assistance to disabled athletes, where should the line be drawn? How does one, or should one, determine if the mechanical replacements provide a "competitive advantage"? Is that the line? What about pharmaceuticals? Are they always to be disallowed as creating "competitive advantage"?

It just seems to me to be a slippery slope.

Again, please don't confuse my position that Blade Runner shouldn't be in the Olympics with any disrespect for his acheivements.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

Is there any proof that he has any sort of advantage? If not let him race.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

There is a separate Olympics for paraplegics. Why not just let him dominate there?

I understand and envy the guy for wanting to compete at the highest level, but he must accept that he doesn't fit the qualifications for the "regular" Games any more. He could easily have some new prosthetics designed to increase his performance.

People need to put their emotions aside when rules come into question.

Can this man compete with normal runners? Sure. Can he have an advantage because he can design his feet and manipulate his stride? Possibly.

It's reminding me of the controversy we had a few months back when the tranny wanted to compete in a beauty pageant. Miss Universe? The individuals don't remind me of each other but the reaction and decision-making process does.

Just put emotions aside and ask for facts. Was this person born a woman? NO! So should he be allowed to compete in a womens' event? NO!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Is there any proof that he has any sort of advantage? If not let him race.
there are probably many advatages and just as many disadvatages, and that is why he shouldn't complete. there are so many factors that a normal runner would have to be concerned about such as calf cramps for instance which would not be a concern for someone without calfs. and then there is muscle fatigue and i would imagine the list would just go on and on. i think it is very impressive what he is able to do, but dont think he should compete.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Also, didn't Michael Johnson say recently black athletes have an unfair advantage as well because they're genetically faster since they're slave descendents?
This.

Ban all black athletes from the Olympics!!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

If he is any faster than he could be otherwise then it shouldn't be allowed. Since it seems impossible to prove any advantage or not then I say no go. The whole point of racing or any sport is to allow people or teams of equal opportunity physiologically and organizationally to compete on level playing fields. The argument that "well he isn't all that good and can't win anyways" is terribly lazy. Anyone care about the athlete that didn't make the team because this guy did?

The guy is awesome. But he shouldn't be competing in these races.

Last edited by FRPLG; 07-18-2012 at 01:17 AM.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Poor Little Tink Tink. Now they don't want him in the Olympics. (If you like Katt Williams)

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Yeah its ridiculous (im getting better mooby), no way this guy should be able to race with the regular racers. That said he will be fun to watch and his situation will add special interest and make people feel warm about life.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
That Guy
Living Legend

well, should we discriminate against genetics too? some people are naturally better runners, so, uh... we should measure their genetic pre-disposition for atlethics and comp them with extra weight. (sarcasm btw).

I say anyone that wants to chop off their legs for a shot at a competitive advantage should be allowed to do so

besides, the sooner we let him in, the sooner we can see cybernetics... and eventually the olypmics will become a gigantic robot fighting event, which is all we ever wanted anyways.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Does anyone else kind of wish Oscar Pistorius was running for Petoria?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Does anyone else kind of wish Oscar Pistorius was running for Petoria?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah its ridiculous (im getting better mooby), no way this guy should be able to race with the regular racers. That said he will be fun to watch and his situation will add special interest and make people feel warm about life.

I'm surprised you still remember that, I was just giving you a little grief. We all make spelling mistakes. Didn't mean to throw you under the proverbial bus though.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Sparks fly between Oscar ‘Blade Runner’ Pistorius and Russian supermodel | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

He's already won even if he doesn't finish the race.