Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 20,051
What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

I think this year's team is the strongest across all the position groups, but training camp is still time for some players to rise and shine while others go fall down towards the cutting floor.

What positions intrigue you the most?

Where do you see room for a depth rookie to take a roster spot?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...n-fitzpatrick/

Safety Battle:

Offensive Battles:
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29,275
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Many.

First Oline…LG and RT. Flowers and Cosmi have the edge but Schweitzer & Charles could battle at LG as well as Lucas at RT.

At LB, Bostic vs the Rook at middle. Hudson at Weakside is a surprise early call from me if Rook win the Mike spot.

Second TE should be interesting.

FS could get interesting with a log jam at SS…

The last spot at WR, backup Defensive end
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

Let’s go Brandon!
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Sponge-worthy
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 12,370
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.
__________________
Cause you know, he would step across the line. Habitually. He's a habitual line stepper.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
The Skinsinator
Special Teams
 
The Skinsinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 400
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.
That would be awesome. I get giddy thinking about a 6'3" stud corner. A huge weapon. Him and Jackson could be bigtime.
The Skinsinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
SunnySide
Playmaker
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2,915
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

RT - Lucas v Cosmi

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

LG - Flowers v Schweitzer

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable. I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
The Skinsinator
Special Teams
 
The Skinsinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 400
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as this team knows it should be improved and contend.
The Skinsinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
MissouriSkin
Special Teams
 
MissouriSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 322
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

I think they are all interesting. It’s nice to finally have a ton of competition across the board.
__________________
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
MissouriSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
EdmundDorf
Impact Rookie
 
EdmundDorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK, South
Posts: 741
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
SunnySide
Playmaker
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2,915
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT
Charles -- I dont know what to think w Charles, we just have not seen enough. Last year Wes was the starting RG week 3 after Scherff got injured so he was the starting RG when Charles started LG. Wes started 13 games last year. I think the FO trusts him, he played above his payday last year imo.

I think RR has Charles > Martin. Important TC for Martin.

Bostic -- I think the coaches value him more than the fans. I think hes a more head down, hit the hole hard type backer that Holcomb isnt. Holcomb and Bostic just have different skill sets and what they bring.

Ideally Holcomb and Bostic wouldnt be starters on our D.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
Redskins247
Impact Rookie
 
Redskins247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 669
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as this team knows it should be improved and contend.
This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
MissouriSkin
Special Teams
 
MissouriSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 322
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.
He just said what he’s expected to say. I mean, he’s not gonna say “well I hope these guys don’t suck”. I didn’t see any overconfidence at all in what he said.
__________________
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
MissouriSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #12
The Skinsinator
Special Teams
 
The Skinsinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 400
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.
I don't think Rivera will allow them to get overconfident. A blind man, however, can see that the talent level has increased. Rivera has not been reluctant to cut players when necessary. Every player should be highly motivated at camp.
The Skinsinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
SunnySide
Playmaker
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2,915
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #14
The Skinsinator
Special Teams
 
The Skinsinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 400
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.
I'm also excited about wr. Feel like a lot of the guys are flying under the radar after McLaurin and Samuels. This should be a VERY competitive unit. Going to be tough for Harmon and AGG to make the team, but I wouldn't count them out yet.
The Skinsinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #15
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,581
Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
RT - Lucas v Cosmi

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

LG - Flowers v Schweitzer

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable. I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.
I watched a couple of Dolphins games in All 22, I thought Flowers played very well, I think he was cut for cap purposes, I think we are getting back a very good LG. Yes Schweitzer was a very nice surprise last year, but I think Flowers wins the job.

Good call about LB competition in nickel packages. I was high on Bostic 2 years ago but last year he was a mess, I was hoping we sign somebody else...
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.19286 seconds with 10 queries