NFL Anthem Policy

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #46
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I don't know social injustice? You don't know my life dude. In fact, the more you speak, the more you demonstrate that you don't know law, history or simple respect.

Oops, I forgot your victimhood doesn't require knowledge, actual thought or rational behavior, but is rather the trump card in any dialogue. That's okay, though, I am sure your self righteousness keeps you warm at night and safe from any and disconcerting things like self-doubt.

You are absolutely right Punch in all things social justice related. Who needs oppositional thought, self-doubt, or critical thinking when you "the truth". I shall of course adopt your position before you send the thought police after me as well.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

How much does it bother u that I didn’t read one word of whatever bologna u just wrote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #47
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I have no safe space. I do not hide in some gray area like JR. I call it like I see it. And trust me when i tell you that a troll on a message board in no way strikes fear in me. Lmao. Anyway you two closet Trumpers enjoy your evening. I know i am.

Of course you have a safe space. You have preached from it in every post. Your self-righteousness is such a well constructed fortress free from thought that it's ability to keep you safe from critical thought is obvious from the top of the Washington Monument. Which is just about as tall as the high horse on which you have seated yourself.

I shall not attempt to assail it further but will allow you to wallow in your certainty as you swill your beer in ignorance. I am sure it is blissful for you.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #48
JoeRedskin

Quote:
How much does it bother u that I didn’t read one word of whatever bologna u just wrote?

Not one bit. Your admission of that fact is proof of everything I wrote.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #49
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Of course you have a safe space. You have preached from it in every post. Your self-righteousness is such a well constructed fortress free from thought that it's ability to keep you safe from critical thought is obvious from the top of the Washington Monument. Which is just about as tall as the high horse on which you have seated yourself.

I shall not attempt to assail it further but will allow you to wallow in your certainty as you swill your beer in ignorance. I am sure it is blissful for you.

Again, not a single word was read. I pay no attention to Trumpers, and less to closet Trumpers.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #50
JoeRedskin

In fact, I am closing down and going to bed joyful in the knowledge that your ignorance is so radiantly obvious to all.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #51
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
In fact, I am closing down and going to bed joyful in the knowledge that your ignorance is so radiantly obvious to all.

Sweet dreams genius.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #52
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Now that JR is fast asleep I would like to point out post number 40, where in fact he attacked me. I did not read much of his jibber jabber after that as I realized he was being an A - hole but I’ll bet it was probably him defending himself from jerk offs like myself. Lol. Just a tad bit hypocritical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #53
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I think it’s interesting that these players decided to kneel during the anthem to draw attention to a real social injustice in this country, but no one is talking about that injustice - the discussion is all about the form of protest the players chose. No ones talking about the treatment of person of color by law enforcement. Everyone’s just arguing about whether or not these players should be allowed to protest in a manner that many Americans find disrespectful. Instead of furthering a cause, the players have made this about themselves.

I think the league handled this situation about as bad as it possibly could. But i do also blame the players for this mess. They should have quickly recognized that using their platform in this manner was unproductive and not achieving their desired result. They should have switched gears and engaged in a form of protest (or other activism) where the MESSAGE will be the focus instead of the way in which it’s delivered.

Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #54
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I think it’s interesting that these players decided to kneel during the anthem to draw attention to a real social injustice in this country, but no one is talking about that injustice - the discussion is all about the form of protest the players chose. No ones talking about the treatment of person of color by law enforcement. Everyone’s just arguing about whether or not these players should be allowed to protest in a manner that many Americans find disrespectful. Instead of furthering a cause, the players have made this about themselves.

I think the league handled this situation about as bad as it possibly could. But i do also blame the players for this mess. They should have quickly recognized that using their platform in this manner was unproductive and not achieving their desired result. They should have switched gears and engaged in a form of protest (or other activism) where the MESSAGE will be the focus instead of the way in which it’s delivered.

The players cant help if a group ( a big, powerful, white group) of people choose to turn a blind eye to the heart of the matter and paint them as unpatriotic hooligans. I think that it certainly pushed racism to the forefront. The question now is do people care? Usually if a certain cause does not directly affect someone they probably will not care about it. Sad but true.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #55
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

NFL Anthem Policy

I just cannot stop thinking about Roseanne when she mocked the national anthem right into the ground. Yet she and Trump are bff’s? The man obviously has selective memory and chooses to remember the players who used the moment to further us as a society, yet to the best of my knowledge has no problem with what she did. Imo it was about as disgraceful as it gets. And make no bones about it, this whole policy stems from his disdain for the kneeling. If he did not go on a twitter tantrum about it we would ALL have continued watching and it would be nothing more than water cooler talk. But the ones who actually stopped watching and twisted the protest into some sort of anti patriotic bullshit are the same ones who follow Roseann on twitter. It is so effing hypocritical. Of course there are some who hate what Roseanne did and what Kaep did but there are millions upon millions who stand behind Roseanne and her Trumpy bigotry and continue to attack the athletes for a peaceful protest. It is mind numbing.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #56
Giantone
Gamebreaker

SHIT! Well it looks like I missed a fun night,usually I'm the one getting slammed one way or another.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #57
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
SHIT! Well it looks like I missed a fun night,usually I'm the one getting slammed one way or another.

Its only getting slammed if you actually read the hypocritical bullshit.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #58
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Well that went further than I thought it would. Anyways, I find it a little hilarious this is only such a big issue now simply because Trump kept bringing it back up.

Does anybody remember the end of last season when barely any teams/players were doing it? And Kaep/Reid have been blackballed by the league. If Trump had ignored it, it would've gone away, it was barely even getting media coverage towards the end.

Now it's issue A1 again.

Even though I agree with the players, I believe Daseal makes a legitimate argument as to why this is bad for the NFL, which kinda forced their hand. OTOH, I empathize with the players' cause even if it has been hijacked into "they hate America" in laments terms.

For the time & place argument, I agree in that there are other options (why not lead peaceful marches in your hometown, volunteer work, etc.?) but I see why they chose to use the biggest stage, because that has the chance to make a big impact. I agree in that their plan didn't work as it seems the focus has been shifted from racial inequality to "why does the NFL allow them to disrespect America" by non-minorities who can't or won't empathize with their cause.

Shame it went this way, I still believe the media attention would've faded in this era of 15 minute news cycles, but it is what it is. Some players will still kneel this fall, the NFL will fine them, and those fines will probably go to charity. I'm still gonna be watching though.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #59
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Well that went further than I thought it would. Anyways, I find it a little hilarious this is only such a big issue now simply because Trump kept bringing it back up.

Does anybody remember the end of last season when barely any teams/players were doing it? And Kaep/Reid have been blackballed by the league. If Trump had ignored it, it would've gone away, it was barely even getting media coverage towards the end.

Now it's issue A1 again.

Even though I agree with the players, I believe Daseal makes a legitimate argument as to why this is bad for the NFL, which kinda forced their hand. OTOH, I empathize with the players' cause even if it has been hijacked into "they hate America" in laments terms.

For the time & place argument, I agree in that there are other options (why not lead peaceful marches in your hometown, volunteer work, etc.?) but I see why they chose to use the biggest stage, because that has the chance to make a big impact. I agree in that their plan didn't work as it seems the focus has been shifted from racial inequality to "why does the NFL allow them to disrespect America" by non-minorities who can't or won't empathize with their cause.

Shame it went this way, I still believe the media attention would've faded in this era of 15 minute news cycles, but it is what it is. Some players will still kneel this fall, the NFL will fine them, and those fines will probably go to charity. I'm still gonna be watching though.
Yup, that pretty much sums up how I feel about it. The issue was well on its way to dying out of its own accord but then the NFL wrapped itself in the flag, patriotism and Trump doubled down. Ta - daaaa instantly it's an issue again.

I understand both sides and am not going to demonize either. As I said, from the owners perspective, they just want this issue to go away so it doesn't affect their bottom line. OTOH, and as mooby said, the players believe strongly in their cause and have used the biggest stage to respectfully make their point.

My biggest issue is in this whole debate is the mischaracterization of the matter as a suppression of free speech. It's not. As I said, the players speech is regulated as employees. Just look at the NFL uniform policies; no free speech there.

There were a thousand better ways for the NFL to address this issue in a manner that treated the players with respect but, instead, the NFL choose the "F you. Do as we say" approach. Stupid. Just plain stupid.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #60
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Its only getting slammed if you actually read the hypocritical bullshit.
Oh punch, you continue to entertain.