Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #91
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/20...redskins-otas/

Ryan Anderson is working out with the D line and Tomsula.

What does this mean?

Absolutely nothing, but it's June.
It means he's working out with the d-line in June.

Does it project well? No, but until we see him playing DE in training camp idc.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #92
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

The Ryan Anderson hate is strong on this board. Remember Matt Ionaddis after his first year? Yes, he was a fourth round choice, but he still got a disproportionate amount of "oh, just cut this guy, he's useless - what a wasted pick" from the board.

Anderson did not make an impact in his first year. That is the general rule for rookies, not the exception - even second round picks. The buzz I have heard this year is that he has tried to reshape his body and training to accommodate what the Skins want of him. Players take time to develop, even if he turns into just a guy with rotational value, he will be cheaper and better in the long run than a UFA paid top-dollar to do the same thing. Unless they are completely out of their depth day one and show no improvement, I generally give rookies three years to step up.

Last year, while he did not make plays, he did not appear to be out of place or out of his depth on the field. Anderson is still young (turns 24 in August). Also, his strength is not in his athleticism but in his discipline and strong football IQ. That is the kind of player that needs to learn technique and schemes to succeed and, consequently, takes more time to develop.

Before tossing away a perfectly serviceable young player because he did not make a strong showing his rookie year, let's develop him while we can have him as a cheap, rookie salary back-up. If he regresses this year, okay, then he may be a roster liability in his third year. If, however, he improves even slightly, then we can continue to develop him while drafting a potential replacement.

Patience folks. Patience.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #93
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The Ryan Anderson hate is strong on this board. Remember Matt Ionaddis after his first year? Yes, he was a fourth round choice, but he still got a disproportionate amount of "oh, just cut this guy, he's useless - what a wasted pick" from the board.

Anderson did not make an impact in his first year. That is the general rule for rookies, not the exception - even second round picks. The buzz I have heard this year is that he has tried to reshape his body and training to accommodate what the Skins want of him. Players take time to develop, even if he turns into just a guy with rotational value, he will be cheaper and better in the long run than a UFA paid top-dollar to do the same thing. Unless they are completely out of their depth day one and show no improvement, I generally give rookies three years to step up.

Last year, while he did not make plays, he did not appear to be out of place or out of his depth on the field. Anderson is still young (turns 24 in August). Also, his strength is not in his athleticism but in his discipline and strong football IQ. That is the kind of player that needs to learn technique and schemes to succeed and, consequently, takes more time to develop.

Before tossing away a perfectly serviceable young player because he did not make a strong showing his rookie year, let's develop him while we can have him as a cheap, rookie salary back-up. If he regresses this year, okay, then he may be a roster liability in his third year. If, however, he improves even slightly, then we can continue to develop him while drafting a potential replacement.

No. Let’s cut all our rookies. What have they shown in games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #94
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The difference between Matt I. and Ryan Anderson is that, unlike Matt, Ryan is a tweener without a true position in the NFL.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #95
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

I agree there's absolutely no reason to cut him. But I'm not very optimistic: saying he did not make a strong showing is quite the understatement. Did he have one legit pressure last year ?

Where we disagree is I do think he seemed out of place. I don't see him ever becoming a legit pass rusher, I'd be more hopeful if they were trying him at ILB.

Now, the coaches know way more about football and about Ryan Anderson than I do, so I'll trust them and hope he succeeds, but he didn't not give many reasons to believe in him last year.
I was way more impressed by UDFA Zach Vigil last season. (Edit: just checked, Vigil first came into the league as an UDFA in 2015. He's 27. So not an accurate comp').
Old 06-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #96
Schneed10
A Dude

Honestly Anderson probably makes for a better Left Defensive End in a 4-3 than a 3-4 OLB or DE.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #97
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Is Ryan Anderson the 4th best OLB on the roster? If so, he should be on the team. If not, we should look for possible trade.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #98
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Guice....

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-redskins-otas
Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #99
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Quote:
Last note - there is a lot of down time during OTAs. Typically, the quarterbacks break off in their own cloister while much of the rest of the team takes part in special teams drills. On Wednesday, the QB group often had a special guest: Josh Doctson. It seemed like every chance, Doctson worked with Smith on timing routes and ball location. That's exactly the kind of stuff that should happen in June.
Man I want to believe in Doctson so badly. If he makes a qualitative jump our WR crew will be outstanding.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #100
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Man I want to believe in Doctson so badly. If he makes a qualitative jump our WR crew will be outstanding.
I think he becomes a legit WR1 this season. Please be right, please be right!