Second coming of Reggie White?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Second coming of Reggie White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
He also took over a 14-2 team that was run by a tough coach, and he got to be the 'players coach' which is a better role for him. We've got to kill the charges this year!
and made them an 8-8 team with an MVP level QB. Marty might actually have won his SB if SanDiego hadn't fired him. What a shame. ( I so dislike Norv, borderline hate/despise).

Go Broncos (except against us)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

i like this.

didn't see it anywhere else
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
agreed. In particular, the year that we passed on Sapp I was up in arms.

I looked for that wash post mag. article online but couldn't find it, but what I remember was it broke down every facet of the Skins fall from grace, including the Monk debacle.

Casserly & Gibbs said that during the glory years, players' agents were always asking them how they could work a deal to play for the skins. The FO thought that free agency would be a boon for them & they would land top talent at the price they wanted to pay. What happened was that players were more about the $ than they realized, playing for the skins wasn't as coveted as the 49ers, and suddenly salaries skyrocketed for players that used to be cheap, namely o-linemen.

As I recall, the theory implied in letting white sign w/GB was that had they signed him AND made some other good moves (they also made bad fa signings at this time such as Tim Mcgee, Al Noga), Pettibon might've kept the job and all those other dominoes wouldn't have fallen. i.e. if white had signed maybe Norv & his poor draft picks + letting Monk go would've never happened.

No doubt though, there were a lot of reasons for the collapse. I'm still bitter toward Norvelle more than anyone else, though I know he was only part of it.
Agree 100%. It's completely unfair to isolate blame on Norv, but I too have reserved the vast majority of my 90s bitterness for him.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
That Guy
Living Legend

norv's been turning gold into crap forever.

marty wasn't bad.

our recent drafts have been good, especially in the 2nd day.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
norv's been turning gold into crap forever.

marty wasn't bad.

our recent drafts have been good, especially in the 2nd day.
Wow, excellent summary. :headbange
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #21
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Makes me happy to hear I'm not the only Norv naysayer round here...man I think that guy has a golden horseshoe hidden deep in a crevice somewhere because no matter how crappy his performance as an HC gets he still lands a job somewhere.

Getting back to the thread topic, Al needs to play through injury. Edit: play dominant through injury. White did it throughout his career and was obviously a specimen of unique quality. I'd like Al to be that kind of player, but I really have no idea how he compares physically. Some of us just don't heal quickly. Some have a naturally low pain threshold. I don't know Al's limits but it does seem likely he misses time again this season unless Blache is really conscientious about the rotation and keeping the big guy fresh and healthy. To their credit Blache/Palermo do an excellent job of this already and this year it should really start to pay dividends.

...on second thought AC has never gotten much rest. Not sure of the stats but that dude seems to play almost every damn down. I'd like to see him get spelled this season (by Rak obviously) but then I'm not sure how feasible it is to have Rak play SLB on 1st and 2nd, switch to RDE on 3rd, over and over again. I know he's a beast but that's a lot of punishment for anyone.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #22
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the goat View Post
makes me happy to hear i'm not the only norv naysayer round here...man i think that guy has a golden horseshoe hidden deep in a crevice somewhere because no matter how crappy his performance as an hc gets he still lands a job somewhere.

Getting back to the thread topic, al needs to play through injury. Edit: Play dominant through injury. White did it throughout his career and was obviously a specimen of unique quality. I'd like al to be that kind of player, but i really have no idea how he compares physically. Some of us just don't heal quickly. Some have a naturally low pain threshold. I don't know al's limits but it does seem likely he misses time again this season unless blache is really conscientious about the rotation and keeping the big guy fresh and healthy. To their credit blache/palermo do an excellent job of this already and this year it should really start to pay dividends.

...on second thought ac has never gotten much rest. Not sure of the stats but that dude seems to play almost every damn down. I'd like to see him get spelled this season (by rak obviously) but then i'm not sure how feasible it is to have rak play slb on 1st and 2nd, switch to rde on 3rd, over and over again. I know he's a beast but that's a lot of punishment for anyone.
please remember our defense does not plan to be on the field alot this season. Httr
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

Norv is so 10 years ago, let it go people LOL